Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:44 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachespeaches View Post
Is it possible to find an apt in NYC under $1,000? I definitely know not in Manhattan, but in safer nighborhoods in Brooklyn or Queens. I have been on Craiglist and have seen studios that look pretty nice...some as low as $750. So, I am wondering if that's normal, or if these places are most likely in unsafe neighborhoods. I am contemplating accepting an offer for a job for $75,000...job is in Brooklyn Having no kids, I know this is livable, but getting a place under 1K would help me tuck away some money into savings. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Be persistent and diligent and you will find something. I'm in Bay Ridge and for a fraction over 1K I have a full one bedroom with a huge living room/dining combo. It also has a small guest bedroom that fits a full bed and small dresser. Actually I put an ad out on craigslist and they found me. Good Luck.

Like many of the other posters said, "Brooklyn or Queen".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerzo_xx View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, but so glad i found it as it seems VERY helpful!

I wonder if anyone could help me...

I'm a 21 year old female from Glasgow, Scotland. I am hoping to study a 6 week program at Makeup designory in New York. It is located in Soho - "375 W Broadway".

My boyfriend is also thinking about coming with me and styudying at New York film school which i am told is a 15 minute walk from MUD. We are planning to stay in new york for 12 weeks.

These plans are in the very early stages. I haven't started saving money, but i believe it will probably take me around a year and a half to two years to come up with the money i will need for fees and living costs etc.

Basically, my question is: if staying for 3 months as close to these schools as possible, what do you think is the best way for us to live? i.e. furnished apartment? is there hostels available for students?.... also i would OBVIOUSLY love to find the cheapest accomodation possible. We could afford $1000 a month no problem but do you think for that price, in that area, the accomodation will be very poor.? (poor being - dirty, unsafe, unpleasant)

I have never visited NYC and since i can remember i have always wanted to. To live there for three months i think is going to be amazing, but i am becoming increasingly aware that MANY plans will have to be made!! (it's giving me a headache! )

I have come across, whilst searching the net, "loft" - for rent. What is this?

I would also appreciate any feedback or opinions of the area of Soho - maybe it would be a better idea to rent somewhere different - maybe a subway ride away?

its a lot to take in!! ...

thanks xxx

I think your best bet is to search the sublets/temporary category on craigslist. Do one search for Brooklyn (by clicking on Brooklyn on the top of the page) and then do a separate search for Queens. Brooklyn will be easier for your commute to Soho and there are some really great areas.

Here is a search for short-term, brooklyn, with image.
classifieds - craigslist

For $1000 a month you should be able to rent a room in a larger apartment in the nice/close-to-Manhattan areas of Brooklyn like Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Fort Greene, Williamsburg. And for $1000 you might be able to rent an entire furnished apartment in areas that are still nice but further out, such as Bay Ridge (as someone already mentioned).

The subways in general are quite fast in NYC and many many commute into Manhattan every day from other boroughs and it really is no big deal, as long as you find a place not that far from a subway stop. You get the benefit of getting to know Manhattan during your days and another neighborhood when you're at home.

google maps is another excellent resource- click on street view to see what every street looks like.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 AM

749 posts, read 2,454,737 times
The difference between $1000 a month and $1200 a month in Astoria, Queens is huge. When I was looking for apartments, $1000 a month got me a tiny 300 square foot studio, with just the bare essentials but still on a nice block. $1200 a month got me a huge 800 square foot 1 bedroom, on a picturesque street, with wood floors modern appliances, and just a 10 minute walk to the train. I recommend trying to find something in a split level 2 or 3 family home because the apartments are usually huge compared to regular apartment buildings. Way more bang for your buck, my apartment is twice as big as most of my friends' apartments that live in Manhattan.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 40,970 times
Thanks guys, everyones been so helpful.

Just another quick question, if i'm a UK citizen and only staying for 3 months will i have to pay taxes and stuff? Like, if an apartment states it will be $1200 a month, aside from food and basic needs, do you think i will have to pay more.... ?

xx

Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,936,994 times
Most landlords will only rent for a year. That's why several of us have suggested looking for a sublet. And yes, you do have to pay the taxes on things you purchase.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:40 PM

7 posts, read 40,970 times
I see... so best to share an apartment with someone who is renting out only a room... ?

I mean taxes on top of rent. I don't know what its called in america but here in the uk its called council tax. (maybe the same thing?) Just depends on where you live as to how much it will be.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 PM

6 posts, read 67,003 times
I saw some in Crown Heights and Prospect Heights, Brooklyn... very small, OK nabes but not great (not many businesses nearby) imho better to spend a bit more.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
If you are lucky you can find a large nice rent stabilized studio apt. in some areas of Queens for up to $1000. But you have to search for these good bargains.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Bensonhurst, Bathbeach, gravesend are the cheapest. near subways and stores, it just takes a bit to get to the city, but IMO, it is worth it.
cheap rent is worth it.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 17,080 times
Firstly, Norwood is pretty nice, because you have Montefiore Hospital, some decent shopping on Jerome Ave., and IMO it's pretty safe. It usually takes me about 30-35 minutes on the 4 to get to midtown, and 40-45 minutes to get to lower manhattan, which isn't bad at all, considering some of my classmates are from manhattan, queens, and brooklyn. Surely you would be able to find an affordable apartment here. There are a lot of new apartments going up in the Bronx, and a good portion of them are along 4 and the 2 and 5.Along the 4, you'll see that there's a couple by 176th, one in 169th, a few in Burnside. Although I personally don't know about the safety in the latter neighborhoods, I do have friends that live in both of those areas, and they find it pretty nice. There's also alot of shopping at Fordham, Bay Plaza, and The Hub. The only downside I find about living in the Bronx is that, being a sucker for Starbucks, I have to take two buses to get to the nearest Starbucks, which is in Kingsbridge, one of only four in the Bronx (the others are in Parkchester, Riverdale, and Morris Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City