Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 3,621 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I'm a Dutch girl writing English stories on the website Wattpad. I'm currently writing a story about a witch living on her own in NYC, interacting with humans, vampires, etc. She comes from a coven in Cold Spring and her friend is from Bayville.

All of my stories take place in the USA, but... I've never actually been to the USA. So, I don't know all that much about NYC, Cold Spring, or any of the villages and cities I describe. I always do my research, but Cold Spring is quite heard to research, I discovered.

Could people from Cold Spring or that general area help me? What is it like to live there? What sports teams are big? What kind of people live there? What kind of stores are there?

If someone could also tell me more about Bayville, that would be great. Tips on other small villages near New York would be nice too. I locate all witch covens in villages.

Love,

Mokita Kivila

PS. Link to the story I'm currently writing: https://www.wattpad.com/story/190707...year-of-summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 03:32 PM

295 posts, read 279,759 times
Just to be clear are you writing about Cold Spring which is a town on the Hudson River north of NYC or Cold Spring Harbor, which is on the North Shore of Long Island and much closer to Bayville?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:04 PM

2,591 posts, read 3,378,049 times
In the words of Nigel Powers "There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."

Old 08-20-2015, 05:29 PM

15,515 posts, read 15,513,897 times
Hello, Mokita, and welcome to the forum.

However, I have to tell you that the basic advice to most writers is to "write what you know." For most people, the further away they get from their own experience, the weaker the story is. I have a friend, an American, who has made a few short trips to NYC and tried to set a story here (also supernatural, like you) - but even so, it just didn't work. It was artificial and all wrong.

So, good luck with your story, but try to set it in your own town, or a town you know very well.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:45 AM

I like to write in English (American), and I live in The Netherlands, so a story in my own towon won't quite work. Thanks for the advice though.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_the_inhaler View Post
Just to be clear are you writing about Cold Spring which is a town on the Hudson River north of NYC or Cold Spring Harbor, which is on the North Shore of Long Island and much closer to Bayville?
Cold Spring, NY. Near the Hudson Rover.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 AM

88,229 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokita View Post
I like to write in English (American), and I live in The Netherlands, so a story in my own towon won't quite work. Thanks for the advice though.
Go ahead and do your research and write what you want to write.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 AM

88,229 posts, read 84,159,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
In the words of Nigel Powers "There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch."
I'm of Dutch descent, but five generations in New Jersey. Only ever heard one Dutch joke.

Why do the Dutch wear wooden shoes? To keep the woodpeckers off of their heads.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm of Dutch descent, but five generations in New Jersey. Only ever heard one Dutch joke.

Why do the Dutch wear wooden shoes? To keep the woodpeckers off of their heads.
Well, we actually stopped wearing wooden shoes many, many, many years before I was born... So you can only imagine the holes we have in our heads nowadays.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 AM

25,365 posts, read 36,918,559 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=Cold...520&gws_rd=ssl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City