Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:37 AM

372 posts, read 398,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
177st and st. nic. is a dangerous neighborhood. i wouldn't live there. new house or large space or whatever, i don't want to feel unsafe.
I stayed up in that area for a couple of weeks before. It's not much worse than anywhere else in the city except for the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
BIGGER is better. (I have downsized twice, and small sucks.)

But then I guess a big rathole is not great either.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,498 times
When searching for an apartment in NYC...there are 3 factors (more, but these 3 are the main ones): price, location and size. You only get to pick two. If you want size and location, be prepared to pay whatever asking price is for those apts in that location. If you want price and size, then you are limited to neighborhoods where that is available. So on...

So which two are more important to you? Sounds like you are ok with price, so you're caught between size and location.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
When searching for an apartment in NYC...there are 3 factors (more, but these 3 are the main ones): price, location and size. You only get to pick two. If you want size and location, be prepared to pay whatever asking price is for those apts in that location. If you want price and size, then you are limited to neighborhoods where that is available. So on...

So which two are more important to you? Sounds like you are ok with price, so you're caught between size and location.
Exactly right. It's such a hard decision to make. And I do agree with another poster here who said that downsizing is really bad.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Take a trip to Ikea and look at their model studio rooms. Whenever I see those, I think I could easily live in a smaller space if it's well designed. Also I think Apartment Therapy website has some features on living in and designing small spaces. On the other hand, I guess you really have to think hard about whether your stuff will fit in the small amount of storage space.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:47 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Is it possible that you have it backwards? It's very likely the newer apartment that will be cheap construction. I'd probably opt for more space.
+1 i need quality construction. the newer buildings that are being constructed aren't sh**. it's the older ones that have been built to last

Old 08-22-2015, 08:30 PM

110 posts, read 158,994 times
actually old building is much more sturdy than new building.

old building used much more natural materials

new building used a lot of cheap qualities materials to lower the expense and plenty of chemical materials are being dumped into the site

Old 08-24-2015, 07:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
But old buildings often come without elevators and doormen and they have old plumbing and wiring and windows, all of which can be a pain in the ass.

Of course, it is only old buildings that have any grandeur...think Park Avenue or Central Park West.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:25 AM

372 posts, read 398,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
But old buildings often come without elevators and doormen and they have old plumbing and wiring and windows, all of which can be a pain in the ass.
Especially if you've got a building with a water tower and you live on a high floor. Ick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City