U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 09:00 PM

12,919 posts, read 15,121,159 times

Advertisements

Are there many one-story buildings in Manhattan?

I was watching a movie where a guy goes into a diner, one of the old-fashioned steel-car buildings.

It seems like property would be really expensive in Manhattan, and that you would not expect to find a dinky little building like that anywere.

I've never been to NY so it's hard to picture. The diners I imagine in Manhattan would be located on the ground floor of a much larger building, just like I would expect all the other little shops to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 11:31 PM

922 posts, read 3,684,739 times
Those old diners are vanishing relics from an earlier era.

You might have seen one of the well-known diners which have been featured in several movies:

The Empire Diner (seen in Men in Black and Manhattan)
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/619/619.x600.Seek2.Art.1.jpg?width=190 (broken link)

And the Moondance Diner (seen in Spiderman, Friends and Sex and the City)

Regarding your observation about real estate value of these buildings: The opposite is true. The land is actually relatively cheap because a tall expensive building is not already there, which allows developers to acquire the land in order to build tall buildings. This is why these one-story buildings are disappearing.

In fact, the Moondance was closed down last summer because the land was bought by a developer for high-rise condos. The diner building was not demolished, but moved to a museum in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,516,655 times
wasn't there a bar (Clarks?) on second or third ave that refused sell out to developers and they built these huge office towers around it?

I guess Smith & Wollensky's is another place like that too.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:14 AM

922 posts, read 3,684,739 times
Quote:
wasn't there a bar (Clarks?) on second or third ave that refused sell out to developers and they built these huge office towers around it?
I saw that somewhere in the last week or so. I remember a bizarre picture of an office building that was constructed around and on top of a small 2-story building.

I wish I could remember where I saw that and post a link to the pic.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:55 AM

757 posts, read 3,209,942 times
NYC buildings below a certain height and depending on the neighborhood may have air rights that are more valuble than the actual land they sit on. Unless, that is, they haven't sold them already.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 AM

12,919 posts, read 15,121,159 times
So, does this mean that the land must have been bought so long ago that it was cheap at the time?

By the way, the movie I saw was "After Hours." The Martin Scorcese film.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,516,655 times
If I remember this correctly from my real estate classes, buildings in NYC are only supposed to be a certian height by the land zoning rules. But if a building is shorter than what is allowable the surrounding buildings may purchase the unused space and build higher than they would normally be allowed.

Air rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 AM

2,954 posts, read 11,694,357 times
I work in the building with P.J. Clarke's. Here is a picture of that. There was talk of demolishing it when the office building went up but it was saved. It's 2 stories though.

PJ Clarke's In Full on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/midweekpost/167397530/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City