Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 09:37 AM

30 posts, read 42,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaWin1 View Post
I completely agree. This doesn't mean that I should take what I'm given and not try for better options. Despite what has been said there are lots of apartments left especially in the higher brackets.

With that said, I'm done complaining. I happily accepted an apartment that had the layout I wanted with with an amazing view. Had I not asked, I would not be as excited as I am to make the move. For your information, we're giving up a very large apartment in Manhattan with amazing views and outdoor space. But you can't beat the fixed rent, new apartment and other amenities. I agree.

I was told by my agent that if we wanted to apply for a 3bedroom down the line, we would have to recertify. What happens if your family composition changes. Let's say my husband and I are expecting twins so we are becoming a family of 5 and not 3, which places us in a different band of mid income. Is it possible to recertify to pay less? Same question applies if one loses their job, takes a paycut etc. Does anyone know?
Congratulations! What layout and did you end up getting? I'm glad that you waited and asked - I know you were anxious and dissatisfied with what you were given earlier.

Regarding recertification, yes they do take all factors into consideration, however the apartment you might want in the future may not be available (since it's rare that folks move out of affordable housing), so I was told that we could apply for a different sized apartment based on life-changes, but that we'd likely have to be placed on a waitlist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 AM

70 posts, read 102,671 times
Is anyone going to the party held by the building management? if yes, let me know i will like to meet my fellow neigbors

Old 09-14-2015, 10:10 AM

28 posts, read 38,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
The parking garage is fine. It's valet only, for the most part (unless you want to pay some ridiculous $200+ upcharge for the ability to self-park or take your keys with you). There's only a few staff there so they very quickly learned who we were and our car. They also have this texting system where you send them the spot number you were assigned and what time you want your car (anything from right now, up to a few hours later) and it'll be waiting right in the exit area for you. All in all, it's a good experience.
Anyone notice electrical chargers for hybrid cars? Wonder if they would charge extra? Honestly, I'm kind of scared of them because they gave me a hard time about prices and seemed pretty much money hungry.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:25 AM

26 posts, read 39,782 times
Hi everyone, I was able to tour the amenities on the 14th floor recently, and the views from the River Terrace are stunning. The furniture and grill stations looked very nice too. The indoor lounge comprises of two rooms with sofas, surround sound, and seriously the biggest, flattest TVs I've ever seen in a living room-like setting. It is an awesome space to throw a party, especially if fireworks go off the East River wink wink. The River Terrace and Lounge are supposed to be open to residents in a few days. The farm on the other side is bursting with greenery. I saw strawberries, tomatoes, and eggplants growing. The agent said there would be gardening and cooking classes at the farm by GrowNYC, and later on, a lottery/signup for plots of gardening space for residents.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:40 PM

99 posts, read 232,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToHPSC View Post
I disagree. I'm in the highest mod bracket and got the exact apartment I was asking for (or at least as close as they could get it for me) in terms of layout, size, and other features. My agent made it very clear, that unit was in the high mod bracket pool and would not be available to mid/low - mod and low income brackets. I'm only speaking from my own experience obviously and so others might've had a different experience.
That is my argument. That they don't offer the best apartments to the mod income clearly because I wasn't offered one. your experience is different but that just proves my point that one can't say all the best apartments go to the highest paying units and vice versa

Old 09-14-2015, 12:51 PM

94 posts, read 216,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHKA View Post
Hi everyone, I was able to tour the amenities on the 14th floor recently, and the views from the River Terrace are stunning. The furniture and grill stations looked very nice too. The indoor lounge comprises of two rooms with sofas, surround sound, and seriously the biggest, flattest TVs I've ever seen in a living room-like setting. It is an awesome space to throw a party, especially if fireworks go off the East River wink wink. The River Terrace and Lounge are supposed to be open to residents in a few days. The farm on the other side is bursting with greenery. I saw strawberries, tomatoes, and eggplants growing. The agent said there would be gardening and cooking classes at the farm by GrowNYC, and later on, a lottery/signup for plots of gardening space for residents.
Can you confirm it's going to be in the next few days? Seems like they keep delaying the date and I have no idea why. I was told it would open in August when signing my lease. I was also told recently they are targeting by the end of September

Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 PM

26 posts, read 39,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothisforum View Post
Can you confirm it's going to be in the next few days? Seems like they keep delaying the date and I have no idea why. I was told it would open in August when signing my lease. I was also told recently they are targeting by the end of September
I can't confirm any more than what I was told by the agent who gave me the tour. The terrace and lounges looked ready to be used, but maybe there's paperwork or small details that need to be addressed?

Old 09-14-2015, 02:01 PM

218 posts, read 473,297 times
does anyone know which floor they have C/O up to at this point for commons?

Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 PM

99 posts, read 232,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToHPSC View Post
So I asked a similar question, what I was told by my agent was that let's say you re-certify because there is an addition to your household and you want to include them on the lease, if at that point you fall outside of the criteria for that apartment you're currently in, then you get kicked out - doesn't matter if your total income is higher or lower than required. Meaning, if you're in the highest mid-income bracket and re-certify for less total income, they don't just lower your rent and let you stay in your apt because you make less, you would no longer qualify for your apartment because that specific apartment is designated for the initial bracket you qualified for and would be again in the future filled with someone in the high mid-income bracket, and you would be put on a waiting list for an apartment in your new income bracket. As far as moving types of apartments (1 to 2 or 3 bdrms), you go on a waiting list and once an apt becomes available you would need to re-certify again (similar to the initial process just less invasive from what I was told). Hope this helps
It does. Thanks

Old 09-14-2015, 02:28 PM

357 posts, read 656,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHKA View Post
Just an FYI...Lounges and Terraces are not reservable during holidays.

Any word on when the gym is opening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery