Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM

76 posts, read 127,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaWin1 View Post
I completely understand why someone would feel upset about the lack of amenities at Crossings compared to Commons but I don't think Crossings should have access to Commons. They are two separate properties and should be treated as such. I wouldn't feel comfortable for security reasons if related chose to give access to the building to another affordable housing property. I can't go to another related building that offers affordable housing and expect access.
This makes no sense, as there are already shared amenities between the buildings - the pet amenity and the farm - so people will have access. They are also under the same name of Hunters Point South and border each other. I'm pretty sure it's been clear all along that this is one development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:23 AM

99 posts, read 232,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingtenant View Post
All settled into Crossing and loving it! I absolutely believe I made the right decision for myself by securing the layout I wanted with a fantastic view - something that seemed uncertain if I chose to wait for Commons.

As for the amenities discussion - we were all in the same process and everyone pays the same rents based on their income brackets, so I think the forum should hear out complaints on either side without getting heated or feeling some odd sense of entitlement or ownership to your specific building. These buildings were built to be one community and we should keep that in mind, otherwise they wouldn't be offering any shared amenities. From my experience - and I interviewed way back in March - it seems the things people were told early on in the process do not match up with the current policies.

I was specifically told when offered a Crossing option that the smaller building would have access to the larger building's amenities. That definitely played into my decision. Somewhere along the lines, that changed. And we, as a community, should understand and listen to people in Crossing who committed to that building early on and want the shared amenities they were promised (not minimized to simply the farm). Right now Crossing tenants pay a smaller amenity fee and I agree with what someone said earlier in the forum that paying a higher amenity fee would be a good option. If that doesn't pan out, of course I still love and feel grateful for everything I have. There was, however, confusion and misinformation given to some of us very early in the process and I would hope as a community of people who went through the same process that we would hear that out and be understanding.

I do feel confident that there will be some changes to the amenity structure and not solely in regard to shared features between buildings. For instance, the BBQ at Crossing costs $75 to use (from what I've heard and I assume it's the same at Commons), which seems asinine. I can understand that fee if you want to reserve it, but if it's not in use I believe you should have access without paying anything - that's what the amenity fee is for in the first place, right? I've lived in other amenity buildings and never paid an additional fee for a BBQ if it wasn't reserved. I think things like this will come out over time and changes may be made. When TF Cornerstone opened their huge amenity space down on Center Blvd, there were many changes in its first year to both policies and fee structure, as well as who had access.

We are a community. There's no need to be divisive when people speak their experience.
I don't think the spaces should be shared but completely understand your position. That is horrible that you were sold on one thing and then given another. I too remember the website saying at one point that everyone would have access to both amenities. That doesn't make sense to me and I can see why they would no change it but consideration should be made. Perhaps Crossings should be offered free amenities in their building for a year as a result of the miscommunication.

I'm confused about your comment regarding BBQ fee. Isn't it a 1 time fee of $75 when you want to reserve the space but when you want general use you pay a general fee? My understanding is that there is a membership fee to gain access to the terrace and BBQ area. If you want to reserve the space, you then have to pay an additional fee when you make the reservation. Is it restricted otherwise? I'm not sure it is. Just like the Terrace room isn't restricted unless someone made a reservation. I could be wrong.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaWin1 View Post
I don't think the spaces should be shared but completely understand your position. That is horrible that you were sold on one thing and then given another. I too remember the website saying at one point that everyone would have access to both amenities. That doesn't make sense to me and I can see why they would no change it but consideration should be made. Perhaps Crossings should be offered free amenities in their building for a year as a result of the miscommunication.

I'm confused about your comment regarding BBQ fee. Isn't it a 1 time fee of $75 when you want to reserve the space but when you want general use you pay a general fee? My understanding is that there is a membership fee to gain access to the terrace and BBQ area. If you want to reserve the space, you then have to pay an additional fee when you make the reservation. Is it restricted otherwise? I'm not sure it is. Just like the Terrace room isn't restricted unless someone made a reservation. I could be wrong.
From my understanding, even if you pay the amenity fee, there is a $75 fee to use the BBQ at any time. They said it was a cleaning fee. So I would assume this would be the same at Commons. Anyone heard anything about this? I too was shocked by it. I can understand paying an additional fee if you want to reserve it, but if it's not in use I think it should be available to anyone who has paid an amenity fee.

And just to be clear, this is what I've heard from other tenants in the building and do not know for sure, but it sounded like that was the actual policy from everyone I talked to.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:29 AM

99 posts, read 232,132 times
Quote:
From my understanding, even if you pay the amenity fee, there is a $75 fee to use the BBQ at any time. They said it was a cleaning fee. So I would assume this would be the same at Commons. Anyone heard anything about this? I too was shocked by it. I can understand paying an additional fee if you want to reserve it, but if it's not in use I think it should be available to anyone who has paid an amenity fee.
I agree.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:35 AM

103 posts, read 158,805 times
Quote:
The amenity form on the website doesn't list anything about a $75 charge and there's nothing that references the BBQ terrace in the resident manual. Interestingly, the pricing seems to have changed a bit. When HPS first sent out the email saying that the Sky Terrace was open, it showed the Sky Terrace and the BBQ Terrace as separately reservable items - the lounge for $100 and the BBQ area for $75 (for members, slightly higher pricing for non-members). They sent out a corrected email a few minutes later that shows it as one reservable space for a slightly different price ($150 for both spaces, same amount of time).

I guess logically it makes sense to have them as one space - it would be odd to reserve the BBQ area and then have someone else book the Sky Terrace when there's no alternate way to get to the outdoor area other than through the lounge.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point Housing Lottery (Part II)-amenitiesbefore.jpg   Hunters Point Housing Lottery (Part II)-after.jpg  

Old 09-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
The amenity form on the website doesn't list anything about a $75 charge and there's nothing that references the BBQ terrace in the resident manual. Interestingly, the pricing seems to have changed a bit. When HPS first sent out the email saying that the Sky Terrace was open, it showed the Sky Terrace and the BBQ Terrace as separately reservable items - the lounge for $100 and the BBQ area for $75 (for members, slightly higher pricing for non-members). They sent out a corrected email a few minutes later that shows it as one reservable space for a slightly different price ($150 for both spaces, same amount of time).

I guess logically it makes sense to have them as one space - it would be odd to reserve the BBQ area and then have someone else book the Sky Terrace when there's no alternate way to get to the outdoor area other than through the lounge.
Thanks for sharing. So I guess the question now would be - can you use the BBQ without paying a fee as part of a reservation? How is this structured at Commons?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:53 AM

69 posts, read 108,144 times
Quote:
This makes no sense, as there are already shared amenities between the buildings - the pet amenity and the farm - so people will have access. They are also under the same name of Hunters Point South and border each other. I'm pretty sure it's been clear all along that this is one development.
When I first came in for an interview, I was told Crossings residents would have access to all amenities except the gym. It has become very clear that rules have changed and most likely will change after both buildings are full. I am moving into Commons and could care less about Crossings residents using the spaces. We live across the street from the park for god sake! As long as the folks who use the shared spaces are respectful and pay the amenities fees- who cares!

I THINK IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS TO ARGUE AND SPEAK DOWN TO EACH OTHER ON THIS FORUM.
We are all adults and this forum exists to share information and experiences- not to berate and judge.

The buildings are 95% full, as of last Friday, and are designed to generate a large/ diverse community. These two buildings are a part of a larger project to expand the LIC community.

As we approach the end of this process, people should just relax and stop arguing about specific details because it really comes off as unpleasant.

Lets keep this a judgement free zone!

Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post
When I first came in for an interview, I was told Crossings residents would have access to all amenities except the gym. It has become very clear that rules have changed and most likely will change after both buildings are full. I am moving into Commons and could care less about Crossings residents using the spaces. We live across the street from the park for god sake! As long as the folks who use the shared spaces are respectful and pay the amenities fees- who cares!

I THINK IT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS TO ARGUE AND SPEAK DOWN TO EACH OTHER ON THIS FORUM.
We are all adults and this forum exists to share information and experiences- not to berate and judge.

The buildings are 95% full, as of last Friday, and are designed to generate a large/ diverse community. These two buildings are a part of a larger project to expand the LIC community.

As we approach the end of this process, people should just relax and stop arguing about specific details because it really comes off as unpleasant.

Lets keep this a judgement free zone!
I agree with everything you said.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:10 PM

69 posts, read 108,144 times
Also, this forum should not be treated as an official source for anything. Information shared here is based on personal experience, which is not always factual or accurate. Sometimes, it's specific to the tenant's circumstance.

If you disagree with something someone shares, take the time to research it or to contact HPS directly.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:43 PM

101 posts, read 159,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyDNYC View Post
I'm lucky enough to have gotten a studio in Commons. I was offered a choice in both, but ended up taking a studio on the 2nd floor overlooking the grocery store. Would I have preferred a West facing unit on a high floor with a terrace - HELL YES, but obviously not everyone can have that. I'm super happy and grateful to have been chosen and LOVE my apartment. It's not the biggest studio I've ever seen but I can comfortably fit a Queen bed, full-sized couch and have enough room for a few more pieces of furniture without feeling cluttered

I saw the amenities in both Crossing and Commons and do agree the Commons definitely got the better end of the deal. BUT, I don't think anyone in Crossing has too bad - yeah, the roofdeck is considerably smaller, but still very nice. I don't think the solution would be to let everyone have access to the outdoor space in both buildings - giving an extra 300+ people access to the Commons outdoor spaces would just result in overcrowding which wouldn't be fun for anyone.

Yes, I'm happy to be in Commons and have access to the big roofdeck but I surely would not be complaining if I were in Crossing. There are over 90k other people who applied to the lottery and didn't get selected who would kill for the chance to live in Crossing.

So, yeah..Commons residents have it a little better amenity-wise, but when is life fair?! I think things could be a lot worse than living in a brand new luxury, rent stabilized building on the waterfront with a "small" roofdeck.
I agree with you. I applied the last week of the lottery and my log number is below 175. They assigned me a studio that is tiny. I can only fit a full size bed, a small love seat, a few small pieces like a TV stand and bookcase. I love to cook and the only thing that I am miffed about is that I have no room for a dining table but I am so excited to live here, I am looking for ways to make my furniture do double duty. Everything is brand new and the people are very kind. I got lucky to be in Commons but I would have been just as happy in Crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery