Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I said this on another thread, but I'll repeat here......

I went to Baruch as a grad student, in it's School of Public Affairs. As an undergrad, I went to Syracuse's world-renowned Maxwell School of Public Affairs. While I enjoyed my time at SU, I will be very real. Baruch's professors will run circles around Maxwell, on many levels. I am well qualified to say this because I experienced both! Now, of course, Maxwell has the prestige, but I truly enjoyed my graduate education at Baruch. I chose Baruch due to cost constraints, and I have never regretted it!
Easily understood, CUNY has great professors.

You know that, besides world reknown authors/scholars, CUNY professors earn significantly more than Ivy, private and state U professors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthny View Post
I could not agree more. Reps for that.
Actually, since open admissions, CUNY colleges has improved tremendously, beginning with varied perspectives within the student population and all the brilliance brought by those who would not be admitted without open admissions policy.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthny View Post
I could not agree more. Reps for that.
Actually, since open admissions, CUNY colleges have greatly improved tremendously, beginning with varied perspectives within the student population and all of the brilliance brought with the diversity and those who would not be admitted without open admissions policy.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Actually, since open admissions, CUNY colleges has improved tremendously, beginning with varied perspectives within the student population and all the brilliance brought by those who would not be admitted without open admissions policy.

thats just not true-
however cuny has changed their policies a lot
it used to be if you graduated from a NYC high school you were autmatically accpeted at whatever cuny school you wanted- now you are just guaranteed admission to a community college.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
thats just not true-
however cuny has changed their policies a lot
it used to be if you graduated from a NYC high school you were autmatically accpeted at whatever cuny school you wanted- now you are just guaranteed admission to a community college.
It's absolutely true and that is what continues to make CUNY great today = Open Admissions.
Makes renders it a more vibrant and more of a true learning atmosphere than others more selective and in which professors teach often to remain a part of a prestigious milieu.

How do I know? I attended CUNY, attended Ivy League for graduate study, and teach within CUNY for many years.

CUNY's greatness and great victory is in admitting students with low scores and seeing many of them struggle, stay the course and go on to win various awards, fellowships and later to greater career and life success.

Last edited by DonnaReed; 01-28-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 10:14 AM

pull foolishness out of nowhere? i went to baruch for 4 years- i just said that
you say open admissions makes the school more culturally diverse- that simply isnt true.
NYC is full of intelligent people from all different backgrounds and if there was no open admissions these people would still be attending cuny.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,360 times
Quote:
CUNY's greatness and great victory is in admitting students with low scores and seeing many of them struggle, stay the course and go on to win various awards, fellowships and go on to great success.
This is so true. It is truly a wonderful experience to attend any of the CUNY honors ceremonies in May. There you will see students that have been admitted and will go on some of finest graduate programs in the country. Some of these students may have had to struggle in the beginning.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
I had great experience with CUNY. I have a Masters from Hunter and an undergrad from City College, in addition to another degree from a pretty prestigious private university in the city. A CUNY degree may not have the snob factor, but the quality of education I received there was every bit as good (if not better) than that of the private university I attended. At Hunter, we had a yearly competition with students at Columbia and NYU, and Hunter always won. After graduating, I worked with recent grads of NYU and Columbia, earning the same money without having to pay back the extreme debt I would have incurred to attend those other schools.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
pull foolishness out of nowhere? i went to baruch for 4 years- i just said that
you say open admissions makes the school more culturally diverse- that simply isnt true.
NYC is full of intelligent people from all different backgrounds and if there was no open admissions these people would still be attending cuny.

The diversity of students includes students who have achieved excellence in academics and standardized test scores, throughout their schooling or in high school, and those who haven't, those who are-well-prepared academically for college-level courses and those who are not (I was not, but I had committed professors who encouraged me to work arduously and realize capabilities I didn't know I possessed);, those from upper middle, middle and working class backgrounds and those from poverty level backgrounds.

This type of diversity enhances the learning of the entire college population. And don't be fooled by paper evaluations, students who have received substandard educations and survived nonetheless bring invaluable knowledge, skill and perspective.

I, and many other of my CUNY undergrad colleagues (you'd be surprised at the numbers) graduated CUNY, went on to be accepted and to study at the Ivys and did well amongst a majority of students - who attended exam schools and/or very expensive, resource-rich, fancy schmancy, independent college preparotory schools for all of their lives AND who have also lived and grown up amongst promiment businessmen, politicians, attorneys the world over, which also affords them a great advantage in educational success.

Don't believe the hype.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:13 PM

donna- i think its great that cuny helped you so much

This type of diversity enhances the learning of the entire college population. And don't be fooled by paper evaluations, students who have received substandard educations and survived nonetheless bring invaluable knowledge, skill and perspective.

i think this can be true but for the most part its not, especially if you are talking about students who were born and raised in the US, but have different backgrounds.There are always going to be exceptions (smart kids who hang out with the wrong friends etc.) but generally speaking if you are born and raised here so there is no language barrier by the time you are done with high school, if you havent succeeded acadmically then school probably isn't for you. Im not saying thats a bad thing.
I think way to much emphasis is put on college, when there are many skillful trades that can earn people a great deal of money. For example if my brother had gone to the same HS as me or the same college he would not have done well. But ever since he was 3 or 4 he would take electonics apart and put them back together and it was second nature for him. Today he is a very succesful airline mechanic.

I, and many other of my CUNY undergrad colleagues (you'd be surprised at the numbers) graduated CUNY, went on to be accepted and to study at the Ivys and did well amongst a majority of students - who attended exam schools and/or very expensive, resource-rich, fancy schmancy, independent college preparotory schools for all of their lives AND who have also lived and grown up amongst promiment businessmen, politicians, attorneys the world over, which also affords them a great advantage in educational success.

Don't believe the hype.

I don't and this does not surprise me. If you aren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth it is almost impossible to pay for an expensive college.There are smart people in cuny just as there are in "better schools."
Almost every one of these "better schools" is hype and simply not worth the money.
It would have been nice to go away to school and have the full college experience, but it wasn't worth going into debt over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City