Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,159,837 times

Advertisements

nooowkkurl
thats true, but its true for most schools people pay a ton of money to attend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
A point that has been missed. CUNY doesn't travel as well around the country as a really good private or an Ivy would. So you do kinda limit yourself geographically when you go to CUNY, and to a certain degree a SUNY. It's something to consider when thinking about attending a CUNY/SUNY.
Great point, but.....

1) As for private, I personally have been there, done that!
2) New York City, the largest job market around, is a great limit. Correct?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,841,680 times
Quote:
A point that has been missed. CUNY doesn't travel as well around the country as a really good private or an Ivy would. So you do kinda limit yourself geographically when you go to CUNY, and to a certain degree a SUNY. It's something to consider when thinking about attending a CUNY/SUNY.
In some ways this is true especially concerning an Ivy, the name alone may get you somewhere. However, CUNY has an extensive Alumni network with members in all 50 states and most of the Western hemisphere. There are also smaller CUNY Alumni groups for related majors and fields of study.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:59 PM

706 posts, read 3,756,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
donna- i think its great that cuny helped you so much

This type of diversity enhances the learning of the entire college population. And don't be fooled by paper evaluations, students who have received substandard educations and survived nonetheless bring invaluable knowledge, skill and perspective.

i think this can be true but for the most part its not, especially if you are talking about students who were born and raised in the US, but have different backgrounds.There are always going to be exceptions (smart kids who hang out with the wrong friends etc.) but generally speaking if you are born and raised here so there is no language barrier by the time you are done with high school, if you havent succeeded acadmically then school probably isn't for you. Im not saying thats a bad thing.
I think way to much emphasis is put on college, when there are many skillful trades that can earn people a great deal of money. For example if my brother had gone to the same HS as me or the same college he would not have done well. But ever since he was 3 or 4 he would take electonics apart and put them back together and it was second nature for him. Today he is a very succesful airline mechanic.

I, and many other of my CUNY undergrad colleagues (you'd be surprised at the numbers) graduated CUNY, went on to be accepted and to study at the Ivys and did well amongst a majority of students - who attended exam schools and/or very expensive, resource-rich, fancy schmancy, independent college preparotory schools for all of their lives AND who have also lived and grown up amongst promiment businessmen, politicians, attorneys the world over, which also affords them a great advantage in educational success.

Don't believe the hype.

I don't and this does not surprise me. If you aren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth it is almost impossible to pay for an expensive college.There are smart people in cuny just as there are in "better schools."
Almost every one of these "better schools" is hype and simply not worth the money.
It would have been nice to go away to school and have the full college experience, but it wasn't worth going into debt over.
bxlefty,

YOU SAY: "...generally speaking if you are born and raised here so there is no language barrier by the time you are done with high school, if you havent succeeded acadmically then school probably isn't for you."
__________________________________________________ _____________________-

Nothing could be further from the truth.

A vast majority of public school students begin college not well-prepared for traditional-level college courses, with language barriers and with all types of other barriers, financial, academic, and otherwise...

Those who are committed do fine and many excel.

CUNY is all about crossing barriers.

And speaking of NOTS - College is basically NOT for those who are not interested, not enthusiastic and not willing to put in the necessary work to succeed at it.

In addition, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth and I attended a very expensive college.

It's not impossible.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,239,311 times
I've heard that the pay for professors at CUNY is higher than at NYC's private colleges.

I'm happy to hear that CUNY has improved. I attended Hunter in the late 90's and was horrified by how remedial the courses were. I left after a year to go private, but I'm thinking about returning for my MFA.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:09 AM

i never said impossible and their are always exceptions and you are one of them
but the truth is most people who do poorly in school throughout high school either dont care and never will or traditional academia is not for them. Like i said ofcourse there are exceptions, but take all of the high school failures in this country and give them the best professors available and most of them would still fail at school.
Believe me im not putting you don't, in fact its quite impressive that you have been a successful exception to this.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:46 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Actually, since open admissions, CUNY colleges has improved tremendously, beginning with varied perspectives within the student population and all the brilliance brought by those who would not be admitted without open admissions policy.
I think a lot of people miss the point that back in the day, CUNY's policies left out even qualified applicants of color! And that was unfortunate!

Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 AM

706 posts, read 3,756,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
i never said impossible and their are always exceptions and you are one of them
but the truth is most people who do poorly in school throughout high school either dont care and never will or traditional academia is not for them. Like i said ofcourse there are exceptions, but take all of the high school failures in this country and give them the best professors available and most of them would still fail at school.
Believe me im not putting you don't, in fact its quite impressive that you have been a successful exception to this.

bxkeftym I'm NOT an exception.

and for the record, students don't fail, schools do

and schools dont fail because of students

There are any number of reasons that students may not do well in high school and do very well in college

Do you realize that college students range in age from 17 to 90?

And it isn't true even of the most recent high school graduates.

Challenging populations are my bag

and your information is highly inaccurate;

the reality is quite the contrary

Old 01-30-2008, 09:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,943,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
bxkeftym I'm NOT an exception.

and schools dont fail because of students

There are any number of reasons that students may not do well in high school and do very well in college

Do you realize that college students range in age from 17 to 90?

And it isn't true even of the most recent high school graduates.

Challenging populations are my bag

and your information is highly inaccurate;

the reality is quite the contrary
where do you find that pixie dust?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM

that is just an utterly ludicrous statement
you should be proud of what you accomplished and not make excuses for others who couldn't do what you did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City