Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:12 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times

Advertisements

New York City’s unemployment rate has been higher than that of the nation for almost all of the last 30 years. The gap between country and city has been particularly wide during national downturns, like the bust of the early 1990s or early aughts. New York’s historical tendency to have high unemployment rates makes it particularly puzzling that the unemployment rate has been higher in the country than in the city since the onset of the current downturn in early 2008.

Why Is New York's Unemployment Rate (Relatively) Low? - NYTimes.com

Interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 05:40 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
First of all ,the article is 2 years old.Not sure it has anything to do with today.The crisis didn't even unfold in NY until early to mid 2009. Even the official rate was 10.6% in 2010.It's claim of an unemployment rate(even 2 years ago) of 6.9% is a joke because of the way unemployed are counted(or in many cases not counted).

Here is a link to an article that is only 1 year old. Big jump from 2009 to 2010 !
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...REE/100129965#

There is a huge number of people on public assistance programs who aren't even counted in the unemployment statistics.Unemployment figures count only people previously employed who are actively looking for for work.The figures don't count people who never work or who have given up looking for work.

Many sources have put the "real" unemployment rate(including everyone who has stopped searching or just doesn't work) in NYC at around 15%.

Still,NYC ,Boston, Washington and a few other cities have been less affected than some sections of the country.There are even some cities in the country like Seattle and Austin, Texas that have experienced almost no downturn at all.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-12-2011 at 06:00 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 AM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
interesting enough the un-employment rate even nation wide for those with college degrees is i believe in the 6.5% range. the rate for those without a degree is over 17%. since nyc has alot of folks with degrees we may run lower .

i know our company has been hiring for over a year now and we have had so many applicants tell us they need at least 20 bucks an hour because they are getting un-employment and working an off the books job now for min wage and thats what it would take to beat that deal. can you imagine so many people are just milking the system as well. they show up like they are unemployed in the statistics and they are working the system and making more then they ever did. ...

other obserations i have are that companies have their top employess and unless that company is going under those employess are the core thats held during mass layoffs. while we all like to think we are part of that core and were layed off because of the economy the reality is the company didnt see you as part of that core.

those in that core are usually highly desirable to competitors too. they are snatched up even before leaving the job they have. we got wind of a competitor folding and hired 4 of their guys before they even said goodbye.

what we are getting in droves now are really that tier below the best of breed. we have been interviewing like crazy but rarely do we get one of those top tier showing up on our doorstep.

the point is there are jobs available out there but they are being held for that best of breed class. to all those that interviewed it looks like there are no jobs available but its the fact that companies now want better then those that were let go by other companies.

im not saying there arent good employees looking, but its all about appearence and perception to employers.

its hard to make sense of the numbers. you have so many just waiting until their unemployment runs out then they will take a job. you got those that really dont want to look for work but if jobs become available again they may start looking for one.. they may keep the rate looking higher then it may be . there are so many variables the numbers can be skewed any way someone wants.

when it comes to numbers and statistics they can always be massaged to show something other then.

just the other night i saw a commercial for the hazards of driving drunk and they said 45% of accidents involve drivers who drink.... i said to my wife ,see its actually safer to drive drunk. lol.... the other 55% were straight....

you get the point!.... believe nothing statistics show unless you really dive into those numbers.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-12-2011 at 06:26 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:00 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,933 times
Math: what company do you work for? I need a job!

Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 AM

ill d/m you

Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
interesting enough the un-employment rate even nation wide for those with college degrees is i believe in the 6.5% range. the rate for those without a degree is over 17%. since nyc has alot of folks with degrees we may run lower .

i know our company has been hiring for over a year now and we have had so many applicants tell us they need at least 20 bucks an hour because they are getting un-employment and working an off the books job now for min wage and thats what it would take to beat that deal. can you imagine so many people are just milking the system as well. they show up like they are unemployed in the statistics and they are working the system and making more then they ever did. ...

other obserations i have are that companies have their top employess and unless that company is going under those employess are the core thats held during mass layoffs. while we all like to think we are part of that core and were layed off because of the economy the reality is the company didnt see you as part of that core.

those in that core are usually highly desirable to competitors too. they are snatched up even before leaving the job they have. we got wind of a competitor folding and hired 4 of their guys before they even said goodbye.

what we are getting in droves now are really that tier below the best of breed. we have been interviewing like crazy but rarely do we get one of those top tier showing up on our doorstep.

the point is there are jobs available out there but they are being held for that best of breed class. to all those that interviewed it looks like there are no jobs available but its the fact that companies now want better then those that were let go by other companies.

im not saying there arent good employees looking, but its all about appearence and perception to employers.

its hard to make sense of the numbers. you have so many just waiting until their unemployment runs out then they will take a job. you got those that really dont want to look for work but if jobs become available again they may start looking for one.. they may keep the rate looking higher then it may be . there are so many variables the numbers can be skewed any way someone wants.

when it comes to numbers and statistics they can always be massaged to show something other then.
I have found that alot of the socalled Unemployment types what to work off the books and they really do not want to have anyone know about it as one person told me i make more with the socalled extra from the state with the family on food stamps and other programs along with the unemployment it better to work off the books for me .

Plus have you ever heard this one sentence come out of a person mouth when asking about salarys dureing the job interview and he tells you this statement because iam worth it and this is my question back to the person who said that statement ..If you where really that good why are you unemployed with the company for the company would have not let you go in the first round of layoffs that they did to trim down the company budget to survive in this day and age ..

Good workers do not get layed off intill the very end if that happens but you where let go in the first round of lay offs and that does seam to make them mad or they shut up on how good they are at there job ..

Old 02-12-2011, 01:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i know our company has been hiring for over a year now and we have had so many applicants tell us they need at least 20 bucks an hour because they are getting un-employment and working an off the books job now for min wage and thats what it would take to beat that deal.
It's very weird that so many applicants are telling you this is the reason they need $20/hr. These people you're interviewing don't sound too bright. A better reason to give would be, "I'm worth $20 an hour and here's why..."
Just the simple fact that this is the reason they are presenting to a potential employer indicates that you are not getting solid candidates.

One reason you might not be getting solid candidates is that you balk at the idea of someone wanting $20 an hour (unless I am reading your post incorrectly). $20/hour corresponds roughly to $40K a year, which as we all know, is really not much of a living wage in NYC.

You should think of other reasons why you are not getting good candidates. I can't imagine the only reason is because the ones coming to you were laid off in the past and this is what makes them bad candidates. Perhaps you're not getting good ones because the terms of the job are not so great!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM

depends on the position...we dont pay 20 an hour for warehouse picker packers. those are the ones telling us they really want more then we are offering and their reason why.

the issues with being best of breed are in our higher level positions and those pay more then 20 an hour. those folks are not working bimmy jobs and collecting unemployment.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:09 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,678 times
With the max amount of unemployment you can get in NY some people are getting more money than they were making when they had a job, especially since unemployment income is not subject to social security and medicare taxes. That is why people are not going to look for work. They are going to milk the unemployment system as long as they possibly can. I don't know about NY, but in FL they give people so many extensions that some of them are collecting for 2 years straight.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:33 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,198 times
40k is certainly a living wage. you just need to budget and not buy stupid sh1t. i do fine with that believe me if it wasnt a living wage the crime rate would be a LOT higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: