Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:25 PM

515 posts, read 875,034 times

Advertisements

^ lol this guy. Have you ever been outside of your neighborhood? Have you ever been to ENY, Brownsville, the Bronx? You seem like a very old school narrow minded conservative - you know, the one who used to call the black kids the N-word all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 06:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkub101 View Post
^ lol this guy. Have you ever been outside of your neighborhood? Have you ever been to ENY, Brownsville, the Bronx? You seem like a very old school narrow minded conservative - you know, the one who used to call the black kids the N-word all the time.
I thought the same thing.

You should read some of the comments on one of the affordables in East New York.
Really discouraging to the people in the lottery.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:12 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
If you are coming from Long Island, you might be able to drive. Some of the schools in East New York have some sort of parking set up for the teachers commuting from NJ and Long Island, if there are enough of them. Either they have some sort of arrangement for street parking or can park somewhere in the schoolyard. This past spring, I visited a school in Central Harlem and they even had a parking arrangement for the staff. If you plan on taking the subway, my greater concern would be your safety in the subway station, especially if you have to work late or stay late for meetings and conferences.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erauso1592 View Post
it has the biggest gang and drug activity outside of the Bronx.You better learn some self defense. Take some judo or kempo or something similar.You will need it. Maybe you just like that type of environment. It's a ghetto. Like Brownsville and Cypress Hills.I've known a few social workers and 2 cops who got themselves transferred out of there for obvious reasons. But hey, who am I , I'm just a native New Yorker. Keep listening to the transplants.
The entire bronx is not a gang warzone.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:00 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,421 times
Work in east ny by the Jackie Robinson. Its ok during the day but I'm looking to move elsewhere if I get a job offer. Too many beggars around as well.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:32 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Shhhh, make them think it is so that the rents don't rise so fast
Unless you own of course, property value increase is always nice

Old 08-28-2015, 09:48 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
I have a job at a school in Brooklyn (Crown Heights), the kids are fine but a crazy admin is making life miserable. So I've been looking and have a possible job interview at another school. I didn't look at the map properly before applying and thought that it was in Flatbush but after they called I looked and saw that it's in East NY. According to the safety map it's in a solidly red area with purple areas (worst in the city) nearby.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...I.keyfgC61UBvU

WWYD? I'm a white male in my late 40s, have been taking the LIRR from LI to my current job and have had no issues with neighborhood safety. But I remember when East NY was the worst of the worst and don't know if it's worth a try for me.
it's not bad.. people have preconceived ideas. i would much rather work in east new york, crown heights than in an ok area in say, philadelphia or detroit. nyc is civil.. as with any neighborhood in nyc, just be smart.. don't do anything stupid.

when i was out of college in the 90's, nobody dared go to lower east side manhattan or hell's kitchen or even williamsburg brooklyn after dark, even cabs refused to drive there. the reality is it wasn't 1/10th as bad as people made it out to be. i've lived in majority black neighborhoods in inwood, and the bronx in the past.. the people there are very nice. you have your rotten apples everywhere, but don't judge entire neighborhoods on that. lately there's more crime in union square with drug addled and drunk white kids than in other "redzone" areas.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:53 AM

110 posts, read 211,626 times
Did the original poster go and did he get the job? PS It's not that bad, seriously. During the day, anyway.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
ENY is one of the worst neighborhoods of the city. If you are drawn to ghetto, and ratchet, then it is for you.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
true. MOST of it, is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: