Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:44 AM

225 posts, read 216,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It's not necessarily my job to educate people here, especially those not from New York.

Don't mistake disinterest for defensiveness. Or do - who cares.

And avoid imposing opinions on things about which you clearly know little or nothing.
Moral of the story is: don't make fanciful remarks you can't back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 10:59 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,172 times
Does it really matters if the homeless has a pet..🐕..or not? Both with or without the pet they are still begging.
And the pets gets NADA! So if it was me giving I'll just give the dog a bone or the homeless dog food. YEA!!
they can l👀👀k at me crazy if they want to.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:08 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Usually the dogs do have a food and water dish there, I have to say.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,254,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Usually the dogs do have a food and water dish there, I have to say.
I would still give to the pet.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:19 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
Moral of the story is: don't make fanciful remarks you can't back up.
Right ...

A second moral is - avoid nuisance-folk.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanniebaby7 View Post
Does it really matters if the homeless has a pet..🐕..or not? Both with or without the pet they are still begging.
And the pets gets NADA! So if it was me giving I'll just give the dog a bone or the homeless dog food. YEA!!
they can l👀👀k at me crazy if they want to.
They usually feed the animals. There are a few exceptions. They can probably use food.

Many are well known to the rescue groups and they check on them. If you see an animal in such a situation in distress you should contact one of these groups.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:47 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I put the blame on former Mayor Mike Bloomberg who ended vouchers for the less fortunate. Those folks are now probably on the street more than ever. I don't blame Mayor De Blasio for any of this and much of this city is still living in the shadow of Bloomberg which will be felt for many more years to come. What needs to be for homeless in NYC?

For one pedestrian plazas need to go. These pedestrian plazas create to much congregation of people which is not good. The removal of pedestrian plazas will also deter homeless from resting in these thoroughfares.

The city needs to bring back a voucher system so that the homeless can go back into a form of housing and remain there until things improve for themselves, or until the city finds better means to accommodate living standards.

Build more affordable housing.

Dredge land along shore lines to create more housing.

Have the sate increase penalities for drug offensive and repeaters. This can deter many from doing drugs again and being on the streets.

Last, constructing more homeless shelters to reduce the load of homeless on the streets of NYC.

The homeless are a fabric of NYC, just like how rats and pigeons are part of daily life in NYC. The homeless are never going to go away. NYC has always had a homeless problem in the past few decades, and to be honest it has not gotten better.
Only the past few decades? I would assert that, since the very founding of New York City itself (since the founding of New Amsterdam by the Dutch and even before this), there was the homeless population. Hey, even in the Bible story (e.g., in Jesus's time), it describes beggars and homeless. The homeless and dispossessed (whether homeless by unfortunate unplanned circumstances or whether homeless by willful life choice or as a result of being debilitated by mental illness or bad habits and practices) has likely ALWAYS been with humanity. You can arguably find it in every single nation of the world to some extent.

You can even find the homeless and beggars, et al out in Long Island (both Nassau and Suffolk Counties).

Old 09-12-2015, 01:57 PM

969 posts, read 825,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
A second moral is - avoid nuisance-folk.
Maybe now you shouldn't rail at other posters for making empty claims similar to what you do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Only the past few decades? I would assert that, since the very founding of New York City itself (since the founding of New Amsterdam by the Dutch and even before this), there was the homeless population. Hey, even in the Bible story (e.g., in Jesus's time), it describes beggars and homeless. The homeless and dispossessed (whether homeless by unfortunate unplanned circumstances or whether homeless by willful life choice or as a result of being debilitated by mental illness or bad habits and practices) has likely ALWAYS been with humanity. You can arguably find it in every single nation of the world to some extent.

You can even find the homeless and beggars, et al out in Long Island (both Nassau and Suffolk Counties).
The question is whether homelessness has been significantly worse in the past few decades, as opposed to the 1920s, 1940s and 1950s. I would imagine depression-era NYC would have been pretty bad, but during the post-war boom could it really have been comparable to today?

Last edited by CTDominion; 09-12-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 02:51 PM

499 posts, read 794,071 times
The visible homeless situation today is not even comparable to what it was 10 years ago.

There has been a sharp rise in opportunists panhandling around Penn Station and Midtown West mostly because of all the tourist traffic, and likely due to this administration's laxer policing--but still nothing like the city-wide down and out population that inhabited the streets in the 90's and before.

The real issue is the number of people sleeping in shelters due to the city becoming so unaffordable and vacant housing being so hard to come by. With the city required to house and service all these people, they will just keep flocking to the city. With the lack of available places to build new housing, this will be a tremendous problem in the coming decades. The city simply cannot house every soul that wants to be here.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
Maybe now you shouldn't rail at other posters for making empty claims similar to what you do here.

The question is whether homelessness has been significantly worse in the past few decades, as opposed to the 1920s, 1940s and 1950s. I would imagine depression-era NYC would have been pretty bad, but during the post-war boom could it really have been comparable to today?
You must not have much of a life. Sad.

Nor does your post make sense, except that you might have misunderstood.

YOU are the nuisance.

I would be the last person to call the homeless a nuisance.

Nuisance-folk are people who live nowhere near New York and yet babble on. They enjoy using words like "fanciful," arrogantly ignorant of the fact that it is arm-chair opinions that are actually "fanciful."

This matters on such a board because people look here for information. Do not comment on things about which you know nothing and have no experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City