Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,879,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why would Verizon be responsible for your Apple product, they are your ISP they have nothing to do with your devices.
They are responsible when the service they provide refuses to work with an airport device.
We never used Verizon and for this reason. We were helping an elderly relative and when we called, they said outright - we do not work with airports or any Apple things. Hey, great.

She changed to Time Warner. We never had a problem and she didn't either once she changed. They may not actually know more than Verizon but at least they don't say that.

And yes ... Time Warner does credit us for even brief outages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 07:03 PM

33,333 posts, read 46,774,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
No, but my building and area are wired for FIOS. Just have HSDSL from Verizon, don't see the point of anything else.

Have no need for cable television (OTA suits us fine for the limited amounts watched) and have a good deal with Verizon landline service (untimed). FIOS only makes sense cost wise when you bundle television, Internet and some other services.

Our contract rate for Verizon DSL expired years ago so we pay month to month. This is good since we aren't locked into anything.
You can get 50/50 and unlimited phone with Fios for 54.99 a month....how much are you paying now? Maybe you should upgrade.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-09-2015, 07:27 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,430,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You can get 50/50 and unlimited phone with Fios for 54.99 a month....how much are you paying now? Maybe you should upgrade.

Have untimed service with Verizon which is no longer offered. Pay a flat rate per telephone call not matter the duration. It varies by "day", "night" and "weekend" but is something around 10 cents or less for the first minute and slides down on a scale from there.

Since we don't make that many telephone calls our bill ranges about $30/per month. Well that is until Verizon and NYS/federal government began slapping all sorts of fees and surcharges.

From what one understands this recent Verizon outage affected both FIOS and DSL/HSI. Since we still have landline for telephone service that was fine; just couldn't get onto the Web.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Have untimed service with Verizon which is no longer offered. Pay a flat rate per telephone call not matter the duration. It varies by "day", "night" and "weekend" but is something around 10 cents or less for the first minute and slides down on a scale from there.

Since we don't make that many telephone calls our bill ranges about $30/per month. Well that is until Verizon and NYS/federal government began slapping all sorts of fees and surcharges.

From what one understands this recent Verizon outage affected both FIOS and DSL/HSI. Since we still have landline for telephone service that was fine; just couldn't get onto the Web.
Just saying - if having the periodic outage is something you cannot deal with then the extra money spent will give u peace of mind. I've never had an outage with Fios and February 2016 makes 2 years I've had it. Since you've been a long-time customer maybe you can make some sort of arrangement with them. Doesn't hurt to try.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Just saying - if having the periodic outage is something you cannot deal with then the extra money spent will give u peace of mind. I've never had an outage with Fios and February 2016 makes 2 years I've had it. Since you've been a long-time customer maybe you can make some sort of arrangement with them. Doesn't hurt to try.
Thing is and this has been told to me several times by Verizon; once I give up untimed service cannot get it back again as they no longer offer. Have had my own telephone "account" since was about 16 living in my parent's house. Long story short Big Daddy was always going on about *his* house and *his* telephone bills and not being able to get on or through to *his* telephone that got fed up. Soon as one got a part-time job in junior year of high school had a telephone installed in my bedroom that remained until moved out after graduating college. So basically that account has followed me through several moves around NYC to our current address.

Am sure Verizon would love me to give up the service as they must loose money, but they will pry it and copper landline out of my cold dead hands.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 PM

2,578 posts, read 3,362,196 times
Dude you have DSL. It is old and antiquated technology. I used to work for an ISP back in the early 2000's and we provisioned Verizon DSL lines. They were running poorly and intermittent then and I can't imagine the service getting any better today. My wife had Verizon DSL in her old apartment as well and the service was always down. She would call Verizon and start screaming at them until they finally hung up on her. There were always issues with service and the support line was incompetent. It is such an old and unreliable technology that I don't know why they don't phase it out.

You have two options. Keep your copper line and deal with the DSL headaches or upgrade to fios. Fios will cost you a little more but the service is night and days better.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Dude you have DSL. It is old and antiquated technology. I used to work for an ISP back in the early 2000's and we provisioned Verizon DSL lines. They were running poorly and intermittent then and I can't imagine the service getting any better today. My wife had Verizon DSL in her old apartment as well and the service was always down. She would call Verizon and start screaming at them until they finally hung up on her. There were always issues with service and the support line was incompetent. It is such an old and unreliable technology that I don't know why they don't phase it out.

You have two options. Keep your copper line and deal with the DSL headaches or upgrade to fios. Fios will cost you a little more but the service is night and days better.
Again, FIOS was affected by the same outage so cannot see how it is "better".

Old 09-09-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Saying you don't *think* outages are that common with Verizon isn't the same as knowing is it? Unlike yourself we *have* Verizon Internet service so thus are not only keenly aware of when it goes down but how often as well.

https://downdetector.com/status/veri...nications/map/

Verizon Problems Spread to E. Side | Manhattan, New York, NY | Local News
“The department is closely monitoring Verizon’s efforts to repair the Upper West Side copper cabling that failed on Feb. 3,” said a DPS spokesperson. “Verizon has restored nearly all of the customers impacted by the failure, and it expects to complete restoration efforts early next week.”

Switch to Fios dude. After Hurricane Sandy, Verizon basically omitted any plans to restore copper cables in the Rockaways. It's old technology. If it was so good, they would have put the copper cables back. I have had no outages since I got it. Loosen up the wallet a bit.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,928,658 times
Quote:
Well actually have another bad word but not sure Mods would allow.

Interent serivce down basically from Saturday night though just now. Calls to "tech support" tell you that there is "an outage in your area..." and you are transferred to someplace in India. There some cluess telephone supporter proceeds to ask for your entire C.V. and "wants to help you" solve the problem. At once they begin the standard page by page walk though for Internet connection problems (are the lights on your modem lit? power off the modem....).

You explain not withstanding Verizon's initial message that there is an outage you already know the deal and have put two and two together. Then they vanish (put you on hold) while they speak to a "senior support advisor". In five or so minutes back they come to confirm" "yes, Verizon is having an outage in your area....". No *S* Sherlock...... Brillant insight, Ray Charles could have seen that one.

This makes fourth or more time Verizon has been down in the past few weeks. Lately there is no rhyme or reason. If it rains the service goes down. If the sun comes up the service goes down. If the sun goes down so does the service. If the moon rises Verizon goes down.
Does it smell like Swiss cheese?

Old 09-10-2015, 02:28 AM

95 posts, read 159,452 times
Internet in NYC in general is terrible. One of my homes out in the middle of nowhere in suburban Illinois gets faster and more reliable internet than my apartment in the upper east side. It seems connection craps out at least once a month.

If anyone is aware of any alternatives besides Verizon Fios or Time Warner, I would be ecstatic.

Last time I was in Austin, TX using google fiber made me realize how stone aged internet is in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: