Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,494 times

Advertisements

Because having a 730+ credit score and 40 times rent for an annual salary is mighty strict. And sometimes that's just the tip of the iceberg. Really, the NYC landlords have gotten into their own whacky little bubble with this sort of stuff. Really just about everywhere else this would be considered super strict, but in NYC this is the standard.

Not that I can blame the landlords that much. I mean when the demands there...

It just sucks because I'm a renter. In particular interested in areas of Eastern Queens. I'd also be open to Manhattan, but I mean yeah. Manhattan is worse than any other borough as far as this stuff goes. I don't remember Queens always being that strict when I first lived in NYC, but I guess things have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:07 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Your best bet is to find a LL of a smaller property, someone that ones say a brownstone or two sort of apartment building and thus more intimately involved than say the larger owners.

At least here you can state your case and hopefully persuade the LL you are a good person and decent risk as a tenant. They may require a bit more security deposit from you upfront and if the place isn't RS the lease may come with some strict conditions, but it is a start.

Before anyone starts yes, there are still many small LLs left in Manhattan and elsewhere in the City. Know of several on the UES from Fifth to East End. Depending upon the building though units are never on the open rental market. Some are filled via word of mouth which keeps out certain persons. Indeed believe it or not there are such places from Fifth to say Park Avenues. However if you are poor, black/minority or whatever don't bother... you won't get in. Well if you are white and a gay male that is another story.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,773,635 times
Lots of Big Manhattan Landlord/management companies own tons of buildings in queens, brooklyn, bronx.

Good luck with your search though.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Your best bet is to find a LL of a smaller property, someone that ones say a brownstone or two sort of apartment building and thus more intimately involved than say the larger owners.

At least here you can state your case and hopefully persuade the LL you are a good person and decent risk as a tenant. They may require a bit more security deposit from you upfront and if the place isn't RS the lease may come with some strict conditions, but it is a start.

Before anyone starts yes, there are still many small LLs left in Manhattan and elsewhere in the City. Know of several on the UES from Fifth to East End. Depending upon the building though units are never on the open rental market. Some are filled via word of mouth which keeps out certain persons. Indeed believe it or not there are such places from Fifth to say Park Avenues. However if you are poor, black/minority or whatever don't bother... you won't get in. Well if you are white and a gay male that is another story.
I hadn't of thought about that approach before. Too bad I suck at word of mouth stuff. Not really well connected as far as that goes, but I'll keep my ears open.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I hadn't of thought about that approach before. Too bad I suck at word of mouth stuff. Not really well connected as far as that goes, but I'll keep my ears open.
Walk around some of the older neighborhoods such as Yorkville and look for handwritten or other "apartment for rent" signs. Also try to do so early morning or evening when owners and or building supers are out cleaning sidewalks/taking out rubbish. Just start by asking if the building has any apartments for rent. It is old school and yes people still do it today.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Oh I had no idea being "white and a gay male" gives one a leg up in the rental market. Definitely doesn't for me. Or do you just mean that gay white males happen to make money and are more successful? Well, yes. That is true. Very true. (not in my case though, unfortunately).

OP: good luck. A you a pre-breeder couple with parental support from back home? Well good, you will qualify for that studio/one bedroom. Studios and one bedrooms are marketed toward couples salary which is DISGUSTING.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
You become good at it. It's part of the test.

Talk to people, think outside your usual box.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:32 AM

95 posts, read 161,139 times
When I was new to NYC and did not make the $240k needed to rent my apartment, I looked through private condo rentals (when an individual person rents out their condo through their real estate agent). Maybe that person is going to London for work for a year or 2, that type of thing. You can find these listings on streeteasy, and see they are represented by a broker. The downside is the fee is going to be the full 15% most likely, or 1 month's rent at the very least. But these types of people may be more lenient if you hit close to the salary but not exactly there.

The Yorkville area of Upper East Side has many of these types of properties and a whole glut of them. I would not try in hot areas like Williamsburg or SoHo.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:

When I was new to NYC and did not make the $240k needed to rent my
apartment
$6,000 rent????

Old 09-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Oh I had no idea being "white and a gay male" gives one a leg up in the rental market. Definitely doesn't for me. Or do you just mean that gay white males happen to make money and are more successful? Well, yes. That is true. Very true. (not in my case though, unfortunately).

OP: good luck. A you a pre-breeder couple with parental support from back home? Well good, you will qualify for that studio/one bedroom. Studios and one bedrooms are marketed toward couples salary which is DISGUSTING.
I'm a single employed guy. No support from back home. Well, unless you just mean encouragement. My parents don't really have any cash plus I'm 28 so it'd be a little late to still be taking money from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: