Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM

73 posts, read 75,369 times

Advertisements

I am interested the signs that a scam is underway. What documentation should one ask for when conducting a lease transaction? Due to safety concerns my son is now looking in Brooklyn for an apt. the man who identified himself as the "building manager" has asked for $75.00 and first month's rent (as an application fee) for a Brooklyn apt. Refundable if he is rejected as a tenant. Red flag? We've all heard stories of people who are shown apts. and given keys only to find out it is already owned by someone else when they try to move in. Anyone hear of Nathan at Octan Realty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 04:01 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Octan Realty Management LLC online public notice | Kings County, NY | 6/29/2015

Only been registered as a business for about 2 months so your not likely to get feedback.

The good new is that it is a registered business,the bad news is the very short history.Either proceed with caution and document everything or don't proceed at all.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:13 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norahl View Post
I am interested the signs that a scam is underway. What documentation should one ask for when conducting a lease transaction? Due to safety concerns my son is now looking in Brooklyn for an apt. the man who identified himself as the "building manager" has asked for $75.00 and first month's rent (as an application fee) for a Brooklyn apt. Refundable if he is rejected as a tenant. Red flag? We've all heard stories of people who are shown apts. and given keys only to find out it is already owned by someone else when they try to move in. Anyone hear of Nathan at Octan Realty?
Something sounds off here. I've heard of an application fee, (I paid $150 for my building, others were around $75-150) but never, ever heard of giving first month's rent. That is not typically given until the lease is signed. I would say major red flag.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Thanks. Is it usual to ask for a full month's rent as an application fee for an apt.? And Nathan has stopped answering our texts requesting his last name and Reg. number.?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Is it usual to ask for a full month's rent as an application fee for an apt.? And Nathan has stopped answering our texts requesting his last name and Reg. number.?
No not at all. And I looked at numerous apartments and spoke to at least 4 legit brokers a year ago. So my experience is relatively recent. Definite scam.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:19 PM

Especially since they want "cash"!!!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:22 PM

Miss J 74
Can you name any of these legit brokers that I can contact re apt.?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Miss J 74
Can you name any of these legit brokers that I can contact re apt.?
I'll PM you

Old 09-09-2015, 04:36 PM

17 posts, read 22,104 times
When looking for apartments this summer all apartments expected first months rent as a deposit once the application was approved (minus the application fee, which is normal- you pay for the credit checks they run). A friend did have to submit first months rent with her application, but she was going through a well respected firm. The money exchanging hands worried me when I was looking for apartments so I ran this by friend of the family who is a real estate broker in the city and was told this was normal procedure. On the NYS website you can look up real estate licenses and what company they work with- I would suggest doing this before handing over any money.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM

372 posts, read 398,378 times
Quote:
Especially since they want "cash"!!!
Run away while you still can. If they insist on cash they can't be legitimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City