Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 08:26 PM

14 posts, read 18,005 times

Advertisements

Hey people!

So I have a random question and maybe someone can drop some knowledge on me.

It seems like there are no more real arcades in NYC anymore. The last one IMO was Chinatown Fair on Mott street. I'm sure rent is a major reason if not the no.1 reason for the closing or re-branding of establishments ( Leisure Time.. bowling alley in Port Authority ((Now called Lanes or Frames? and is 21+ to enter)) used to be a great spot for competitive play...MvC2, Street Fighter third strike, Soul Calibur, Tekken and of course DDR). But very seldom do arcades open in NYC.
I was having a conversation with one of owners of the J&L game shop in Chinatown and he told me that NYS no longer issues licences for arcades anymore, so if you want to open an arcade you have to, find someone who has a licence and have the city put all the information under your name. Now this sounded very--not kosher, and I have -zero knowledge when it comes to the legalities and formalities of opening and running a business. Has anyone ever heard of this in regards to the licence? Or does anyone have any experience as to how the arcade business works?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 08:46 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
J&L is no longer in Chinatown, they moved to midtown I believe. A lot of the tournament type stuff, even the old school stuff, is done in bar and lounge basements or backrooms. Liquor is where the money is, not kids spending their allowance. Barcades are a mini chain that's around. Great selection (for the most part) of classic to sorta semi-modernish games, but i've been to two of the locations a few times, but they aren't anything to write home about. The scene was way too breadknot for me though, YMMV.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:52 PM

14 posts, read 18,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
J&L is no longer in Chinatown, they moved to midtown I believe. A lot of the tournament type stuff, even the old school stuff, is done in bar and lounge basements or backrooms. Liquor is where the money is, not kids spending their allowance. Barcades are a mini chain that's around. Great selection (for the most part) of classic to sorta semi-modernish games, but i've been to two of the locations a few times, but they aren't anything to write home about. The scene was way too breadknot for me though, YMMV.
Oh wow J&L finally moved, what is the CT location now?

Barcade is cute. I go to the one on St.Marks for the fighting games but its too small but yeah... booze=money.

I think Dave and Busters might have a chance at being a place for at least the FGC. They have the Tekken 7 cabinet and I heard that they have some sort of deal w/ Namco so D&B will get the new Pokemon fighting game Pokken (sucks its only gonna be on Wii U) so thats something to look forward to.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:05 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
I havent been to the one on St. Mark's. I didnt even know they had one there. Ha, I've been so disappointed with the WiiU, but i HAD to buy it for MK8. :/ I prayed for an F-Zero and feel a little crushed and burned, I won't be purchasing NX.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:30 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
It's odd to me that something as innocuous as an arcade would need a special license. I wonder if the Barade locations had to get such a license? Maybe you could talk to someone there.

This summer I was a bit shocked when I visited Oregon and found a modern arcade with updated games and current themes. I had just assumed that the only arcades left were retro types geared toward nostalgic adults.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
That is stupid to have an license to open an arcade. I just keep one outside of my house for children to play for fun. The problem with arcades in the past with the youth culture was students playing hookey from school. So you would have restaurant with two arcades and a bunch of teenagers until somebody told on them. Arcades was great back then but otherwise I feel like being an mo-downed-bar.

Also teenagers of today would never set foot into the arcades from before. Everybody just wants the SNK arcades that Japan had back in the late 1990's. It is sadder in Japan. A person brought an building and found out it was filled with tons of arcade units. Like if somebody was running an arcade. The SNK arcades are more like coward arcades of todays world. They look nice but lack the originality. A good fictional example of an real arcade is like the one in "heavy traffic" or "American Graffiti" or in DOS game demo/intros. The arcade in Coney Island was nice one time. The arcades right now are cheap and lame. Some people have stores with two arcades including some bars.

Again kids are kids and unlike before they do not have places to go. Arcades was like an club for both old and young people to hang out together and play videogames. It was so nice.

Again

Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Arcades are dead because of Xbox and Playstations.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:01 AM

969 posts, read 825,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Arcades are dead because of Xbox and Playstations.
Better than that, gaming apps on IOS/Android that cost a fraction of the price of a single "play" on arcade machines.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM

79 posts, read 84,721 times
Precisely, with the evolution of gaming and consoles, there is absolutely no point to go spend hard earned money on a game that will only be there fort he night. Anyone is better off adding in a few dollars and keeping this game forever, or at least availability for a trade-in value. Arcades died when the Playstation came out. The only place I see myself playing aracde games is either a D&B or maybe at Astroland.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:18 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanviewer View Post
Precisely, with the evolution of gaming and consoles, there is absolutely no point to go spend hard earned money on a game that will only be there fort he night. Anyone is better off adding in a few dollars and keeping this game forever, or at least availability for a trade-in value. Arcades died when the Playstation came out. The only place I see myself playing aracde games is either a D&B or maybe at Astroland.
The arcade I visited in Oregon was packed with people and it wasn't just a bunch of nostalgic Gen-Xers either. Plenty of teenagers and kids. It certainly didn't seem like it was dying out. I have a Playstation 4 at home and I still had fun. In fact, the game play was far superior at the arcade for some titles as opposed to my Playstation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City