Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:08 PM

566 posts, read 503,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
ALDI's and TRADER JOE'S are largely owned by the same parent.
oh, good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I see it as WHOLE FOODS suffering from the battle. After the first couple days, the crowds deserted and went back to FAIRWAY. To my standards, both are very overpriced but I prefer Fairway of the two for a couple items like Fairway's coffee beans. The area cannot support both AND a Trader Joes.
Even the two of them might not be tenable over the long run and one might be forced out.

(Neither of them has cut into the business of Key Food on 92nd although C-Town on 89th looks like it might have taken a bad hit.)
Whole Foods as a corporation is doing a lot better than Fairway as a corporation.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Whole Foods as a corporation is doing a lot better than Fairway as a corporation.

Perhaps,
But I am comparing two stores head to head in the same neighborhood and Fairway seems to be winning that comparison.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
god, including the gourgeous one on Eastchester Rd and Waters Pl in The Bronx?

Old 09-18-2015, 04:17 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
This is millions of employees jobs.
Do you actually know how big the number "a million" is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I was talking to a Waldbaums cashier the other day. She told me some of the workers are making $50 an hour.
Yeah, well I was talking to a guy who stocks the shelves at Rite Aid and he says he makes $2,000 an hour, plus his uncle works for Nintendo and his dad could beat up my dad.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:23 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,106 times
A few stores in NJ closed yesterday. Very sad to read some of the people posting their good byes. I hope they all land on their feet. Gonna be many more sad faces in the coming months.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:40 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I would expect to be paying more for groceries. There will be less choices, and more of those choice will be on the high end. Especially in NYC, add in high and rising rents into the mix. The lower end supermarkets run on razor thin margins, and there are enough people with money in the city that the higher end stores can skim off enough customers to put a big hurt on the lower end stores, especially in the better areas.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I would expect to be paying more for groceries. There will be less choices, and more of those choice will be on the high end. Especially in NYC, add in high and rising rents into the mix. The lower end supermarkets run on razor thin margins, and there are enough people with money in the city that the higher end stores can skim off enough customers to put a big hurt on the lower end stores, especially in the better areas.
Definitely in Manhattan and Western Brooklyn. I think in a few years Whole Foods and Trader Joes will come to Western Queens (LIC perhaps).

Even the Bronx is slowly getting modern chains. Aldi's (owned by the parent of Trader Joes) has set up operations in the Bronx and is in other parts of the city as well.

Old 09-19-2015, 04:03 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
I noticed the Pathmark by Barclays Center is closing but it's being replaced by Stop and Shop...

Old 09-19-2015, 04:34 PM

295 posts, read 281,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
While at local FP spoke with some of the employees one has known for years and everyone is on tenterhooks. All stores owned by A&P including Pathmark and FP not sold or at least in contract to be by Thanksgiving 2015 are slated to close.

Severance package offered by A&P is not very good so the union and even bankruptcy judge is pressing for a bit more. Meanwhile am here to tell you the F&P stores in our area of the UES look terrible. Shelves are often empty, things that require repair including some freezers/refrigerators aren't being seen to, and on it goes.

Am stocking up on large sized bags of Eight O'clock coffee, my only vice from F&P before they go.
What's F&P?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City