Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 10:12 AM

481 posts, read 427,236 times

Advertisements

Don't you remember? They used to play a phrase from West Side Story when the doors closed: "There's a place for us..."

I suddenly realized that I haven't heard that for a long time. I pointed it out to my husband last night and said he hadn't noticed the change until I pointed it out.

So when did they change it from the musical tone to the doorbell sound that's in there now?

Bit o' world trivia: Similarly, in Toronto, they use the first three notes from the Sesame Street theme song "Sunny Days" for the door chimes. I haven't been up for a while - I hope they haven't changed it there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 05:12 PM

279 posts, read 853,879 times
ive been riding the trains for about 14 years now and i never heard of that phase. Door closing always had that chime or some kind of ding dong noise

Old 09-12-2015, 09:48 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,553,167 times
I know what you're talking about with There's a place... But I don't think it was the door chime. It was the brakes or something that made a sound reminiscent of that song.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:41 AM

481 posts, read 427,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I know what you're talking about with There's a place... But I don't think it was the door chime. It was the brakes or something that made a sound reminiscent of that song.
You're right, Mac! I was embarrassed when azspeedbullet pointed out that the chime has always been the same, so I had to go get some "science" to back me up (Google).

There's a peculiar whine that accompanies the N train when it peels out of the station, which for some reason I mistook for a recording generated within the train itself. The same tones are apparently heard on the 2, 4, 5 and W, too. Not everyone notices it - usually musicians do.

The N and the W were the trains I always took to see my lover back in the day before we were married. No wonder we both "remembered" it.

Here's a youtube sample: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...t-page-1/?_r=0

This article is about the 2: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/nyregion/21about.html

Last edited by Commander Beth; 09-14-2015 at 05:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: