Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:31 AM

11 posts, read 7,288 times

Advertisements

I'm 23. New to NYC.

(1) Having trouble making friends who are very interesting/smart

I've tried:
(A) meetup.com
(B) Facebook events

Found that people who use services like this tend to be poorly calibrated socially. Any tips?

Other than doing things I like...

(2) Having trouble finding stuff to do

I'm seeking groups (ideally free) for:

(A) weight loss + workout
(B) pickup sports (with people who want ot play with me)
(C) meditation,
(D) seeing NYC, walking, running
(E) recording music
(F) random stuff
(G) being a movie nerd

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited by quest556; 09-16-2015 at 01:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I would suggest joining a gym or sports classes and/or taking classes about things that interest you.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 AM

372 posts, read 398,150 times
It sounds like you might need to adjust your expectations. What part of the country did you come from? If you're from somewhere that people tend to be a lot more outgoing then it's easy to see why you might get that impression about New Yorkers.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:07 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Have you made any friends at work or school? Have you joined a church or synagogue? If meet-up groups aren't working out for you, these entities could offer a good vehicle for making friends.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:13 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
How long have you been in the city? It takes some time to find people to hang out with regularly. I think some of what has been suggested above are good strategies. You could also volunteer, join a community sports team--or just about any activity that people your age are involved in.

I don't know if it's an option for you, but people your age like to go out a lot in bars. Check out Brooklyn.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:24 PM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
Look up Friends of the Highline to find days when people are working as volunteers to plant or clear brush. It's outdoors and healthy.

If you're looking for "interesting/smart" look up each university (NYU, Columbia, Pace, Fordham, Brooklyn College..) for any events, films, speakers, concerts etc. that the public may attend.

You can get in a good 2-hour walk while learning about NYC neighborhoods is the Municipal Arts Society guided tours, led by experts in architecture and city planning. https://secure3.convio.net/masnyc/si...?store_id=1221 It'll give you a feel for some of the neighborhood history and changing city dynamics. It attracts other people who are curious about that, although maybe a little older than you are. You can pick a tour and try one out. In early May, they are free (Jane's Tours) but the rest of the year each tour costs $30 for nonmembers. If you like the format, there are plenty more to do all year, each in a different neighborhood.

Yoga classes are very popular with your age group.

Sign up for the NYC ID card before December 2015 so you can get a few free one-year memberships at some museums and botanical gardens. id NYC
Act on this soon, because you have to book an appointment, show up with easy documents to get your photo ID, then go activate the memberships at the various cultural institutions. Once you belong a few places, you can follow those websites to attend special member openings and special events, not a bad way to meet interesting people. Lots of museums here have free film showings, as scheduled special events on various themes.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-16-2015 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 05:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
It seems odd to me that you're saying you can't find people who are smart, but the activities that you list mostly aren't ones that require smartness.

I know there's at least one good movie meet-up. And I know there's a major running club in NYC. If you work in a large company, you might be able to post a notice to see if you can put together your own group. Which you can do on Meetup, too, I think.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest556 View Post
I'm 23. New to NYC.

I've tried:
(A) meetup.com
(B) Facebook events

Found that people who use services like this tend to be poorly calibrated socially. Any tips?

(C) meditation,
(E) recording music
(F) random stuff
(G) being a movie nerd

If you are new to NYC, you will have to move to a transient NYC neighborhood where everyone from the subrubs, fresh out of college, career driven, new and love NYC. These neigborhoods are Muarry Hill, East Village, LES, Chelsea, Dumbo, Williamsburg, Fort Green, Astoria, LIC, Park Slope, Bushwick and so on. These neighborhoods are full of people like yourself who come to NYC after college and to forge something of themselves. The best way to make friends is from your job, or if you went to college, try and see if you have an college alum members in NYC.

Also NYC is not a very outdoorsy place especially since the weather is cold for most of the year so you should cross pickup sports out of the equation. Also NYC does not have nature near or around it, and nature is far from the city or in neighborhoods that are far or not so desirable for transient folks such as Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx. Tennis in NYC requires a tennis permit for example and is not pick up and play. NYC is a huge city, it is more easier to make friends and meet people in towns and small cities. This is a big city with lots of different people and archtypes. You might have to do investigating and see what type of person you are and the types of folks you hang out with. Also try to be an extrovert.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:00 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest556 View Post
I'm 23. New to NYC.

I've tried:
(A) meetup.com
(B) Facebook events

(C) meditation,
(E) recording music
(F) random stuff
(G) being a movie nerd

Found that people who use services like this tend to be poorly calibrated socially LOL. Maybe it's you.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:51 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If you are new to NYC, you will have to move to a transient NYC neighborhood where everyone from the subrubs, fresh out of college, career driven, new and love NYC. These neigborhoods are Muarry Hill, East Village, LES, Chelsea, Dumbo, Williamsburg, Fort Green, Astoria, LIC, Park Slope, Bushwick and so on. These neighborhoods are full of people like yourself who come to NYC after college and to forge something of themselves. The best way to make friends is from your job, or if you went to college, try and see if you have an college alum members in NYC.

Also NYC is not a very outdoorsy place especially since the weather is cold for most of the year so you should cross pickup sports out of the equation. Also NYC does not have nature near or around it, and nature is far from the city or in neighborhoods that are far or not so desirable for transient folks such as Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx. Tennis in NYC requires a tennis permit for example and is not pick up and play. NYC is a huge city, it is more easier to make friends and meet people in towns and small cities. This is a big city with lots of different people and archtypes. You might have to do investigating and see what type of person you are and the types of folks you hang out with. Also try to be an extrovert.
then wtf is central park then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: