Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
They won't find anything in Williamsburg for $2500. Not anymore. Plus it's a 20 something scene, something they don't really want.

Try Kensington, Fort Greene, and Yorkville.
Williamsburg is large and has variety. They don't need to live right off Bedford or on the waterfront. Look by the graham, grand or montrose stops. And there is also a 30 something scene there as well. There is reason why Williamsburg is the most sought after neighborhood in Brooklyn. And even more popular than many parts of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 07:17 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimes View Post
Hello,

I have read through many of the previous threads and done some research but hoping to get recommendations specific to our situation.

About us: Two 30 year olds, newly married couple, no kids with no current plans for kids. Currently live in Russian Hill neighborhood of San Francisco, in a studio paying $2500 per month. He works in advertising. I am a social worker. We enjoy living on a residential street that is very close and walkable to shops and restaurants. We're past the "20s bar scene" but not quite ready for the "yuppies with strollers".

The plan: Being relocated by his company, December 1. He will be working in the financial district. I will need to find a job working in adult mental health.

What we're looking for: Studio is fine (we live in one now) but 1 bedroom would be nice. Would love to live on a tree lined street that feels residential but close enough that we could walk to shops, local grocery, restaurants, coffee, etc. Based on the little bit we know about the city (only a few visits) I'm mostly interested in Downtown Manhattan, particularly SOHO or Nolita. He is more interested in Brooklyn, particularly Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights. I am also concerned about commutes although that is hard to factor in since I don't know where I will be working yet.

Budget: Target monthly rent range $2500. Less would be great. Slightly more could be doable if needed.

We are most interested in feedback on neighborhoods. We love the neighborhood we live in now and we're hoping to find the right fit in New York as well.

Thanks for the feedback on such a repetitive topic!
Save some money. Rent a 1 bedroom in Ridgewood for 10 years and save the extra $100,000 you will have amassed in that time for a down payment on something. M train to the J train will get you into the Financial District. You wanna feel like kids again? M train will take you to the Lower East Side on Saturday nights. Wanna feel like grownups? Get Uber.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City