Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I have street-viewed the area and was wondering what the apartments around there rent for. The less money spent on public transit the better. I'd love to walk to work. My husband could pick up a job somewhere around there the same way he got two jobs where we are now: by my firing off very honest cover letters for him and by his fielding the calls as they come in immediately and going in for interviews and getting hired on the spot. We bring out the best in each other, but I digress. Any helpful wisdom on the housing situation would be appreciated. We have no children and no debt. We do have a super sweet cairn terrier.
What does your husband do? NYC is largely sectioned in terms of industry. i.e. Conde Nast is not in walking distance of 600 Broadway. You can't just decide to work in the same neighborhood as both of you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:33 PM

4,774 posts, read 6,571,114 times
I would recommend going to Streeteasy.com. Select Rental. As far as neighborhoods, type in SoHo and Noho. I assume you want a one-bedroom. Choose that, and then enjoy looking at all the apartments in the area.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:45 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Best bang for your buck with 15/20 min subway ride is uws. I just put someone on 81st and columbus ave in a large 1br for $2275. Mind you it was only on the market for 6hr cause its not the normal price fir that size in that area. However things from $2100-$2500 can be found in that area with great space. B train to broadway lafayette train station puts you right near the 600's.

Also what you should be aware us a few management companies/landlords wont accept people who havent been employed at least 6-12 months straight in current company, unless its a relocation position. Be prepared to have a guarantor just in case you run into this situation.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Think about Queens:
Queens Rental Market Report | MNS is Real Impact Real Estate

<Best get husband the job before the apartment search because landlords might not be overly impressed by your cover-letter skills.>

Old 09-20-2015, 09:03 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
My job would be a company transfer. My husband is in food service. I have no doubt that an interview would be all it took for him to be hired. His degrees are in political science and social work, but he knows food service etiquette, wine, cooking and dining guest satisfaction techniques every bit as much as he is a walking history/political science/current events encyclopedia. Queens sounds good. I would like seeing the skyline on the way in.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:40 AM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
What happens when you major in Political Science? College debt and a food service career which in New York can turn into something good if you become a well known Chef or such.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
My job would be a company transfer. My husband is in food service. I have no doubt that an interview would be all it took for him to be hired. His degrees are in political science and social work, but he knows food service etiquette, wine, cooking and dining guest satisfaction techniques every bit as much as he is a walking history/political science/current events encyclopedia. Queens sounds good. I would like seeing the skyline on the way in.
Do you know how many people in New York have the same qualifications as your husband? Your cover letter writing skills and his immediate response to potential job interviews might not be as impressive to New York restaurateurs as you think. Is your transfer definite and has he begun a job search? It might not be as easy as you think.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 AM

372 posts, read 398,378 times
The problem with the restaurant industry here is most of the higher paying restaurants won't even give you the time of day if you don't have "New York" experience. Which means that he could have been in the restaurant industry for ages, but if it was in the middle of some backwater it's not going to count for beans no matter how nice your cover letter is.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Do you know how many people in New York have the same qualifications as your husband? Your cover letter writing skills and his immediate response to potential job interviews might not be as impressive to New York restaurateurs as you think. Is your transfer definite and has he begun a job search? It might not be as easy as you think.
Which was my point exactly.

And they don't take people without New York experience, especially in the places that might pay more.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
333 West 29th St. in Chelsea, Manhattan | StreetEasy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: