Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
Get a cat.
Or even just foster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I never had more mice then when I had cats. The catfood attracts them, and is essentially an antidote to mouse poison the exterminator put down.

Also older generation traps have been figured out by mice. When I put them down, I found them in the morning untriggered, but with the peanut butter missing. So I wasn't so much trapping the mice as feeding them. This includes the old style Victor spring traps, with the wooden base, mouse sized glue traps, and also some newer designs, like the original Tomcat.

I've found two types of traps that do work. One is rat sized gel glue traps. They supposed to be self baiting, but I put some peanut butter in the very middle. They're big enough that if the mouse tries to get to the bait, they have to get stuck. This doesn't work with the mouse sized traps.
Glue traps are incredibly inhumane. People may not realize this.

I don't know one person with cats AND mice. After a while they just do not come around.
I suppose there could be different temperaments.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:08 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
I never had more mice then when I had cats. The catfood attracts them, and is essentially an antidote to mouse poison the exterminator put down.

Also older generation traps have been figured out by mice. When I put them down, I found them in the morning untriggered, but with the peanut butter missing. So I wasn't so much trapping the mice as feeding them. This includes the old style Victor spring traps, with the wooden base, mouse sized glue traps, and also some newer designs, like the original Tomcat.

I've found two types of traps that do work. One is rat sized gel glue traps. They supposed to be self baiting, but I put some peanut butter in the very middle. They're big enough that if the mouse tries to get to the bait, they have to get stuck. This doesn't work with the mouse sized traps.

The other thing that works the are white plastic new styles snap traps that used to be sold under the Ortho brand. I think subsequently the Tomcat people bought them. What makes them better than the old Tomcat traps is that their trigger is much more sensitive.
That's very strange as I've never known any cat owners to have rodent problems. Cats were pretty much domesticated for this very reason - they are very efficient at killing and keeping away small vermin. So efficient that cats have almost become a problem for local small wildlife in suburban/rural areas. I don't know, maybe your cat was just lazy but in most cases mice seem to avoid apartments with cats. If mice do make that wrong choice, most cats instincts will kick in and they will take care of the problem for you (and leave you the dead "present" as evidence of their skill).

Old 09-21-2015, 04:21 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
That's very strange as I've never known any cat owners to have rodent problems. Cats were pretty much domesticated for this very reason - they are very efficient at killing and keeping away small vermin. So efficient that cats have almost become a problem for local small wildlife in suburban/rural areas. I don't know, maybe your cat was just lazy but in most cases mice seem to avoid apartments with cats. If mice do make that wrong choice, most cats instincts will kick in and they will take care of the problem for you (and leave you the dead "present" as evidence of their skill).
Well you wouldn't "see" mice in an apartment or whatever with a cat or cats would you? If rodents are present smarter ones would know to keep clear, that however does not mean total absence.

Years ago a former co-worker moved into a lovely pre-war one bedroom apartment in Fort Greene. There was one problem. The place was infested with mice. She would hear them all hours of day and night running through the plaster walls. She also saw them on numerous occasions scampering through her apartment. They were so bold and bad that would chew through/pull out steel wool placed around pipes and or into holes for sealing.

Her then BF finally got her a cat and though the sightings by her decreased, she would hear the thing chasing mice as she slept (or tried to).

If cats totally solved mice problems in urban or other dwelling settings then there wouldn't be a need for exterminators. Everyone would just get cat and the population would dwindle to being almost none existent. Obviously that isn't the case.

Much will depend upon what sort of infestation we are talking about. If it is just the one or two lone mice, a cat *may* work. However if you are speaking of a dwelling or any size that has an established rodent population one or even two cats isn't going to do it. Just as with roaches and other pests the things simply will move to another area and or learn to keep clear.

In many cases having cats and or dogs indirectly encourages the mouse population to grow. This is true when people leave out food and water 24/7 for their pets and or store large bags of food.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:25 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:

The other thing that works the are white plastic new styles snap traps that used to be sold under the Ortho brand. I think subsequently the Tomcat people bought them. What makes them better than the old Tomcat traps is that their trigger is much more sensitive.
Working under the theory mice do not have great eyesight and aren't that "bright" properly placed snap and other traps supposedly work because the mice "run into them" and are caught. That and or they attempt to take the bait.

Our exterminator told us years ago he does not bother with nor recommends baiting traps. Mostly because people end up putting so much stuff on mice easily can get a meal without trigging the trap. At best you should just wipe the bait section with a trace of something like peanut butter as you only just want the scent.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:41 PM

493 posts, read 511,854 times
i never had mice with a cat.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
i never had mice with a cat.
Same here. My cat regulated. No mouse would dare to show up, and if it did it was a goner.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Same here. My cat regulated. No mouse would dare to show up, and if it did it was a goner.
So-called waterbugs too, as is related to another thread ...

Our cats will tear one up if it gets in. They know I am afraid of them.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:46 PM

11 posts, read 12,987 times
get the rat Zapper it save my life... seriously. if you think you have one you have about 10

Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Glue traps are incredibly inhumane. People may not realize this.

I don't know one person with cats AND mice. After a while they just do not come around.
I suppose there could be different temperaments.

Agree!! I would never ever use a Glue Trap. Horrible, cruel and inhumane - causing slow deaths. I've had to pry mice off using oil when I volunteered with wildlife rescue. Please don't use them. I wish they were illegal.

Last edited by IlonaG; 01-14-2016 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City