Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

You're still better off living in Astoria than Harlem, Bed Stuy or the piano district. Don't let them force you into living in a ghetto. You deserve better than that.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
It happened to my now husband and I years ago when he wanted to move into the apartment where I was living in Astoria. I had been sharing with the super's son, who was moving out, but the landlord wouldn't give us a lease. My roommate said that the landlord didn't rent to black people (there were none living there and it was a relatively large building). You really need proof though, and it's so hard to prove unfortunately. We ended up moving to Inwood instead.
It does work both ways by the way.When I was looking to move to The Bronx and spending lots of time in various neighborhoods I had a couple of encounters on The Grand Concourse area in The South Bronx where people purposely walked less than 5 feet behind me and made comments about "all the white people" coming into the neighborhood. I know it's not exactly the same as being rejected but I definitely got the message and decided I really didn't want to deal with moving into a neighborhood and put up with crap like that.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 PM

372 posts, read 398,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It does work both ways by the way.When I was looking to move to The Bronx and spending lots of time in various neighborhoods I had a couple of encounters on The Grand Concourse area in The South Bronx where people purposely walked less than 5 feet behind me and made comments about "all the white people" coming into the neighborhood. I know it's not exactly the same as being rejected but I definitely got the message and decided I really didn't want to deal with moving into a neighborhood and put up with crap like that.
You're right. It's not even remotely the same.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:40 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Well, that's wrong also, but it's different. Not at all doubting it, but I am surprised since it's never been my experience here (but I'm not in the South Bronx). Kind of glad we didn't move to Harlem because I've heard too many stories of similar things.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:41 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
You're right. It's not even remotely the same.
Except for the fact that there are just some neighborhoods in NYC where a lot of people have very racist attitudes and act in very racist ways. other neighborhoods can be completely different. Best to just avoid the racist areas.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:09 PM

11 posts, read 12,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
While it's possible that it was racism, are you absolutely sure it couldn't have been something else - the way you were dressed, or the fact that there were two of you?

But what I'm really thinking is that you should try it another half-dozen times - and then write an article about it.
Cida, I have tried it a few times that's why am writing about it. Why do I have excellent credit and it's been a month and 15 days and I still can't find an apt in Astoria.

Am not sure what you mean by two of us?.... It my sister and I should I trade her for someone else.. I don't get it. I go after work to look at these apts and am professionally dresses.

Am not one to harp on the racist thing, but I met with an agent that looked almost physically ill that I was black when I showed up. Told be the owner wasn't picking up the call and we were right outside the apt.
You can't tell me it's not what it is.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy86 View Post
Cida, I have tried it a few times that's why am writing about it. Why do I have excellent credit and it's been a month and 15 days and I still can't find an apt in Astoria.

Am not sure what you mean by two of us?.... It my sister and I should I trade her for someone else.. I don't get it. I go after work to look at these apts and am professionally dresses.

Am not one to harp on the racist thing, but I met with an agent that looked almost physically ill that I was black when I showed up. Told be the owner wasn't picking up the call and we were right outside the apt.
I think what Cida was getting at was that there were two of you. Which potentially means four of you, particularly at your age.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy86 View Post
You're probably right. Western Queens is funny -- it is extremely diverse like in Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, with the notable exception of black people. That's what I've observed anyway.

There have been articles about housing discrimination recently. I think one featured some rentals in
Sunnyside.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Queens yet yet diverse is still very ethnically, racially and income segregated. Gentrification should have limited or dissolved racists attitudes.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:33 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,126 times
You can try modern spaces they tend to be more professional and cater to younger demographic in Astoria and LIC (gentrifying crowd). I know racism when it comes to housing exist with the older European immigrant, but at this point they are probably the minority in the community as it filled with transplants from the midwest. The community is rather tamed compared to the past. In my opinion most of the community coexist rather well, you can see it for yourself if you attend events at Astoria park.

Astoria Park Schedule: Astoria Park Events : NYC Parks

Link: http://www.modernspacesnyc.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City