Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:32 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times

Advertisements

Not trying to minimize your bad experience, but it looks like you were unlucky enough to encounter a pair of aholes.

I've been living in Astoria for the last 5 yrs and I have never witnessed any racist views anywhere in the neighborhood.
In fact, I feel like race relations are less segregated and more harmonious than many other parts within the city.
Astoria is also not an all-white neighborhood nor the whitest neighborhood in Queens.
Yes, the black population is small and is mainly in or around the housing projects, but for the most part it's still a fairly diverse neighborhood.
Lots of Brazilians, Asians. Hispanics alone are like 30% of the population.

Last edited by likeminas; 09-22-2015 at 07:43 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 12,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Queens is by far the worse of what I mentioned. However it is normal and natural to live amongst your own kind.
You are right queens is by far the worse...

Old 09-22-2015, 01:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy86 View Post
You are right queens is by far the worse...
I think you're a troll. You went from wanting to live in Queens so badly to now agreeing that Queens is the worst. All in a matter of one day on city data.

Queens is the most diverse boro. It is the World's boro. And guess what, the World isn't made up of a bunch of bland white and black middle Americans. Hence why there numbers are so few in Queens. We're a bunch of immigrants. And yes, we interact with one another. Sorry if we fear being turned into another American cul-de-sac or ghetto. I was wrong about my earlier post, you'd be better off in Harlem.

BTW...only racist thing I've seen in Astoria was a black homeless man tell my Italian uncle to go back to Greece after my uncle told him to get out of his trash bin.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:33 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Race played a part in me actually GETTING my apt. I'm a male of Latin decent but everyone says I look Italian. When searching for an apt I looked in a middle-class area of queens that is predominately Italian/Polish. I meet with the landlord and he shows me the apt. I expressed my interest and told him that I would take it if he didnt have any one else lined up for it. He took a long hard look at me and asked me...."are you italian?" Figuring it would work to my benefit to say yes given the circumstances I said "yes I am!" He smiled, shook my hand and told me "If you want it it's yours". He didnt even bother to ask me for my credit report that I had in hand or any other financial information.

Last edited by louie0406; 09-22-2015 at 02:43 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 03:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Race played a part in me actually GETTING my apt. I'm a male of Latin decent but everyone says I look Italian. When searching for an apt I looked in a middle-class area of queens that is predominately Italian/Polish. I meet with the landlord and he shows me the apt. I expressed my interest and told him that I would take it if he didnt have any one else lined up for it. He took a long hard look at me and asked me...."are you italian?" Figuring it would work to my benefit to say yes given the circumstances I said "yes I am!" He smiled, shook my hand and told me "If you want it it's yours". He didnt even bother to ask me for my credit report that I had in hand or any other financial information.
Middle Village?

Old 09-22-2015, 03:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Middle Village?
Could also be Ridgewood east of Fresh Pond.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I've lived in Astoria and I'm Spanish. I had no issues finding an apartment, but I can see how there could be racist landlords.

Which side of Astoria are you trying? If you're trying by the N train, I can definitely see problems happening. If you're trying on the Steinway St. side, by the R and M trains, you might have better luck. That part of Astoria is far more diverse.

Also check into the chain realty companies. Your local small mom and pop places will likely be ran by people who grew up there, and thus will still be hesitant to work with you. I'm not saying it's right, because it's not. Just trying to steer you in the direction where you might have better luck.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:47 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Middle Village?
lol I was going to say the same exact thing, although Glendale and Maspeth can apply too.

When we moved, our landlord also asked what nationality we were, me and my mother are Irish and her BF is Polish though.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think you're a troll. You went from wanting to live in Queens so badly to now agreeing that Queens is the worst. All in a matter of one day on city data.

Queens is the most diverse boro. It is the World's boro. And guess what, the World isn't made up of a bunch of bland white and black middle Americans. Hence why there numbers are so few in Queens. We're a bunch of immigrants. And yes, we interact with one another. Sorry if we fear being turned into another American cul-de-sac or ghetto. I was wrong about my earlier post, you'd be better off in Harlem.

BTW...only racist thing I've seen in Astoria was a black homeless man tell my Italian uncle to go back to Greece after my uncle told him to get out of his trash bin.
How can i be a troll, seriously because i agreed with someone that queens in my opinion is more racist. what does it matter to you. am sharing my experiences and because you don't agree with it it makes me a troll now.
please don't start your crap no ones making you comment. why do you have to be so aggressive do you own Astoria?

Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I've lived in Astoria and I'm Spanish. I had no issues finding an apartment, but I can see how there could be racist landlords.

Which side of Astoria are you trying? If you're trying by the N train, I can definitely see problems happening. If you're trying on the Steinway St. side, by the R and M trains, you might have better luck. That part of Astoria is far more diverse.

Also check into the chain realty companies. Your local small mom and pop places will likely be ran by people who grew up there, and thus will still be hesitant to work with you. I'm not saying it's right, because it's not. Just trying to steer you in the direction where you might have better luck.
i tried the Q and N area, but now i opened my search to R AND M area, close to 46th and down. with much better result and less of a racist tension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City