Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times

Advertisements

There was an extremely large flying bug (looked like a roach) on the F train tonight. It was the size of a hummingbird. People were ducking and yelling and getting up and moving seats. The only positive outcome for me was that three very VERY loud Jamaicans having what they probably thought was a conversation but actually was shouting, ended up getting scared by the bug and moved to the other end of the car where I couldn't hear them as loudly.

The flying roach flew up into a corner of the car, more or less above where a big fat guy was sitting in one of end seats eating snacks. He looked unperturbed and didn't show any reaction when everyone was ducking. He sat there for another 10 stops just eating snacks from his snack bag. One woman (who had moved seats but only across the car so she would be in a better position to see the thing if it flew out again) gave him a smile as she got off at her stop, like a "congratulations for holding your ground" kind of smile.

Has anyone seen an enormous flying roach like this before in a subway, or in NYC anywhere? First time for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
They are these huge roach things. Some of them fly.

My personal fear of them is quite well known.

I think they are similar to the palmetto bugs they have in the south.

People here call them "waterbugs" but I am not sure that's correct.

Here is a story, just took the first one I saw (to avoid accidentally encountering pictures):
http://www.brooklynian.com/discussio...hate-waterbugs

Old 09-21-2015, 06:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Sounds like a June bug which is actually a beetle. they look like big fat flying roaches.Not sure but I don't think roaches fly do they?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Sounds like a June bug which is actually a beetle. they look like big fat flying roaches.Not sure but I don't think roaches fly do they?
I don't think they do. But this seemed like a giant flying roach. I am sure I am not being entomologically correct.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
They are these huge roach things. Some of them fly.

My personal fear of them is quite well known.

I think they are similar to the palmetto bugs they have in the south.

People here call them "waterbugs" but I am not sure that's correct.

Here is a story, just took the first one I saw (to avoid accidentally encountering pictures):
I HATE waterbugs. - Brooklynian
yuck.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't think they do. But this seemed like a giant flying roach. I am sure I am not being entomologically correct.
Google pictures of June bugs and see if they look like what you saw.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Google pictures of June bugs and see if they look like what you saw.
I was just on Google and I can't look at too many of those pics before getting grossed out. I landed on a Youtube video that was called something like "Flying cockroach eats june bug" so you can imagine how fast I wanted to shut down the page.

I have to be honest. If someone had told me it was a hummingbird, I might have believe it (at first glance). I was only a few feet away (across the car) but all I really observed was something large and flying. At the last moment as it moved away I could tell it wasn't a tiny bird, but I really couldn't tell you any other attributes besides bug-like.

To make things really weird, when I first got on the train, about 5 minutes before observing the flying bug, I actually thought there WAS a bird in the car. There was some high-pitched squawking going on at the other end of the car... on the opposite end from the very very loud Jamaicans. I think the squawking might have been coming from a loud child. Quite a ride.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There was an extremely large flying bug (looked like a roach) on the F train tonight. It was the size of a hummingbird. People were ducking and yelling and getting up and moving seats. The only positive outcome for me was that three very VERY loud Jamaicans having what they probably thought was a conversation but actually was shouting, ended up getting scared by the bug and moved to the other end of the car where I couldn't hear them as loudly.

The flying roach flew up into a corner of the car, more or less above where a big fat guy was sitting in one of end seats eating snacks. He looked unperturbed and didn't show any reaction when everyone was ducking. He sat there for another 10 stops just eating snacks from his snack bag. One woman (who had moved seats but only across the car so she would be in a better position to see the thing if it flew out again) gave him a smile as she got off at her stop, like a "congratulations for holding your ground" kind of smile.

Has anyone seen an enormous flying roach like this before in a subway, or in NYC anywhere? First time for me.
Did you record it and put it on YouTube? You would been an YouTube sensation.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Did you record it and put it on YouTube? You would been an YouTube sensation.
I wish I could have! I wasn't quick enough. Also, if I had good editing skills, I could have captured the initial squawking noises from the child (presumably), the insanely loud Jamaicans, the fat guy eating chips with the huge bug flying above his head. Probably would have gone viral.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Don't sound like a June bug, they are active only during daylight. It sounds exactly like a very large Palmetto bug, they can get pretty big. I had one crawled up my pant leg while at a barbecue. I saw it across the lawn moving about, then I lost sight of it. Next thing I know, it was crawling up my pant leg. all I could do was grab it through my pant leg and squeeze, I didn't even feel it until it was all the way up to my thigh. I ran into the bathroom holding that bug in place, got out those pants and shake the now dead bug out. People thought it was funny, but that wasn't a good feeling at all, I keep my eyes open now at outdoor events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: