Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Acting "white" (aka study and get a good job) is how you succeed in life.

Keepin it reelz keeps you in the ghetto.
God forbid you're black and speak proper english in the "hood". You'll be ridiculed to no end, yet its the "white man" keeping them down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:

Never noticed.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
God forbid you're black and speak proper english in the "hood". You'll be ridiculed to no end, yet its the "white man" keeping them down.
I'm Black and no one has ever ridiculed me for speaking proper English in the hood and I am a grad student. So where are you getting this ridiculous claim from?

Old 10-02-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
And so what? Plenty still do move. You can't make a daft absolute assertion like "no they do not" - that's just contrary to the facts. Yes there are some good schools in NYC, and yes some can afford NYC private tuition. But plenty move to the suburbs when the kids are at elementary age, and just prior to middle school, notwithstanding that.
And plenty stay in the city. No shortage of well off people sending their kids to school in Manhattan or Western Brooklyn or Western Queens. In fact there would not even be a thread on this situation in DUMBO if all these well off people were leaving and going off to the suburbs.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:

I got a good job and grad student here and no one has excused me of acting white.

Nor do I think anyone would.

If you don't get a good education you currently get priced out of former ghettoes like Harlem, Bedstuy, Ft. Greene and this is starting to hit even the South Bronx. I've even known former thugs/felons who told me they wish they had chosen my path in life.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
No one is getting priced out of the government subsidized PJs.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm Black and no one has ever ridiculed me for speaking proper English in the hood and I am a grad student. So where are you getting this ridiculous claim from?
Of course. I'm just making this up.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
No one is getting priced out of the government subsidized PJs.
Most of the housing stock in Harlem and Bedstuy is privately owned and many have already been priced out and displaced. For NYCHA itself due to funding cuts rents have INCREASED and the city is now stepping up on it's collection.

I don't know anyone who would want their kids to live that lifestyle if they could avoid it and I am INCLUDING people with criminal records.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Of course. I'm just making this up.
You may as well be. Prove that most poor Blacks don't value education and think that speaking proper English is acting white. Prove that most poor Blacks would devalue education when they risk joining the legion of homelessness in NYC due to being priced out of former ghettoes. Harlem, Bedstuy, Bushwick are all in transition and LIC has gentrified.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You may as well be. Prove that most poor Blacks don't value education and think that speaking proper English is acting white. Prove that most poor Blacks would devalue education when they risk joining the legion of homelessness in NYC due to being priced out of former ghettoes. Harlem, Bedstuy, Bushwick are all in transition and LIC has gentrified.
I wont get into a back and forth debate with you over it but I can tell you that what I said is very true. I grew up in the "hood" and have seen it happen countless times. I would quote these things I've heard from blacks to other blacks regarding "acting white" for speaking proper english instead of ghetto slang but it will probably get me banned on this site.

Just because it didnt happen to YOU doesnt mean it doesnt happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City