Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 08:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wouldn't for one second consider the length of my commute over the quality of my children's education. That's a disgustingly selfish way to prioritize one's own concerns over that of the people who should come first. For awhile I was living very far from work, dealing with a stessful commute so that my children wouldn't have to live around filth in congested, overcrowded neighborhoods. Their public schools are top notch and the risk of crime here is nearly laughable. That's the sacrifice an actual PARENT makes, not the other way around.
If both parents have really long commutes that may take away from the time they spend with their children. this is as important if not more so than what school the kids go to. Education begins at home with the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 08:56 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well if the shoe fits wear it. If it doesn't fit you know it's not you.

Racism doesn't mean you're a KKK. A person who stereotypes or makes a massive generalization about another group of people is making a racist statement.

Example, if someone says all Blacks can dance or all Asians like math those are RACIST statements. Lumping together all people of any race together when they have nothing to do with each other is RACIST.
No that would be prejudicial or bias. We all have a little bit of that. Racism involves a more serious undertone, and anyone over the age of 30 understands this concept. Not everything is racist but you have 5 year-old kids throwing the word around so lightly without having the slightest idea of what was actually involved with racism. It's beyond ridiculous and it's pathetic how PC this country has become. You have to walk on egg-shells with everybody. Comedians can't say jokes, republicans/conservatives are not allowed to voice opinions and the left knowing how things are just goes with the flow and supports everything even if they don't agree with it. Case in point - Obama's original stance on gay marriage (A marriage should be between a man and a woman (circa 2008-2009). Fast forward to today - (Obama spoke with the Kenyan president about being more open to gay marriage). At least the Kenyan president had the courage of his convictions to stick to his guns even if people would dislike him for it.

We should respect a man even if we don't agree with his stance for sticking to his position, rather than bending to conform to the public's opinion. How can you respect a leader who can't take a true stand on any issue for fear of hurting some feelings or losing support. And yet, the majority of liberal Americans are completely okay with it because "he's not hurting anyone's feelings"... Are you kidding me!?

That's the kind of soft-spoken lack of will power leader you want? This is why I am neutral when it comes to politics. It's a complete joke and a mockery. There's only one being out there that can lead properly. That's who I'll follow.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
No that would be prejudicial or bias. We all have a little bit of that. Racism involves a more serious undertone, and anyone over the age of 30 understands this concept. Not everything is racist but you have 5 year-old kids throwing the word around so lightly without having the slightest idea of what was actually involved with racism. It's beyond ridiculous and it's pathetic how PC this country has become. You have to walk on egg-shells with everybody. Comedians can't say jokes, republicans/conservatives are not allowed to voice opinions and the left knowing how things are just goes with the flow and supports everything even if they don't agree with it. Case in point - Obama's original stance on gay marriage (A marriage should be between a man and a woman (circa 2008-2009). Fast forward to today - (Obama spoke with the Kenyan president about being more open to gay marriage). At least the Kenyan president had the courage of his convictions to stick to his guns even if people would dislike him for it.

We should respect a man even if we don't agree with his stance for sticking to his position, rather than bending to conform to the public's opinion. How can you respect a leader who can't take a true stand on any issue for fear of hurting some feelings or losing support. And yet, the majority of liberal Americans are completely okay with it because "he's not hurting anyone's feelings"... Are you kidding me!?

That's the kind of soft-spoken lack of will power leader you want? This is why I am neutral when it comes to politics. It's a complete joke and a mockery. There's only one being out there that can lead properly. That's who I'll follow.
There is no one who had the exact same stances on issues their entire lives. Politicians as leaders of course have to be more sensitive to the times and to their constituents or else they will not get elected.

The things I mentioned are racist. People just hate to be confronted on them and it sounds like a sensitive spot for you.

Someone who makes massive generalizations such as all Asians liking math (but not have social skills since smart people don't have those), or all Blacks liking to dance may discriminate in the hiring process or in the job promotion process. Stereotypes and generalizations have the ability to make huge impacts on the lives of others. They are racist and must be confronted.

You sound like someone who wants to hold on to his own racism and hate that you're being confronted on the matter. It sounds like those people are doing a good job in calling people out and exposing them for what they are.

Someone I know once said racism is just a form of collectivism. A dumb form of collectivism.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
If both parents have really long commutes that may take away from the time they spend with their children. this is as important if not more so than what school the kids go to. Education begins at home with the parents.
My personally, I'd rather spend the time with the kids than on the road commuting all the time.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
There is no one who had the exact same stances on issues their entire lives. Politicians as leaders of course have to be more sensitive to the times and to their constituents or else they will not get elected.

The things I mentioned are racist. People just hate to be confronted on them and it sounds like a sensitive spot for you.

Someone who makes massive generalizations such as all Asians liking math (but not have social skills since smart people don't have those), or all Blacks liking to dance may discriminate in the hiring process or in the job promotion process. Stereotypes and generalizations have the ability to make huge impacts on the lives of others. They are racist and must be confronted.

You sound like someone who wants to hold on to his own racism and hate that you're being confronted on the matter. It sounds like those people are doing a good job in calling people out and exposing them for what they are.

Someone I know once said racism is just a form of collectivism. A dumb form of collectivism.
You're an idiot. I'm hispanic with Black heritage. The difference between me and you is that I don't placate to people's feelings. If something needs to be said or done, regardless of how it makes someone feel, I'll make sure it's said or done. You along with all the other two-faced hypocrites will pretend to be genuine on an issue but lack complete sincerity with any statement. How can I take someone like you seriously when I don't know how you truly feel about an issue because you're scared to admit your stance? What kind of weak minded generation do we live in where a man who speaks his mind regardless of his position if ridiculed more so than someone who changes his position annually to conform to public opinion.

And you just readily admitted that you respect and support a leader like that. It shows the kind of mentality you truly have which is a weak one. You're the last kind of person on this earth I'd want to be in a foxhole with, life on the line. You'd be the one giving enemy soldiers information as to where the hide-outs are to protect your skin. You'd then claim to be a hero and say you were tortured and captured as a POW...

Have all the imaginary opinions you care to formulate about me or anyone else on this site who doesn't openly agree with you... When push comes to shove, you know where I stand. With you, that clearly isn't the case.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You're an idiot. I'm hispanic with Black heritage. The difference between me and you is that I don't placate to people's feelings. If something needs to be said or done, regardless of how it makes someone feel, I'll make sure it's said or done. You along with all the other two-faced hypocrites will pretend to be genuine on an issue but lack complete sincerity with any statement. How can I take someone like you seriously when I don't know how you truly feel about an issue because you're scared to admit your stance? What kind of weak minded generation do we live in where a man who speaks his mind regardless of his position if ridiculed more so than someone who changes his position annually to conform to public opinion.

And you just readily admitted that you respect and support a leader like that. It shows the kind of mentality you truly have which is a weak one. You're the last kind of person on this earth I'd want to be in a foxhole with, life on the line. You'd be the one giving enemy soldiers information as to where the hide-outs are to protect your skin. You'd then claim to be a hero and say you were tortured and captured as a POW...

Have all the imaginary opinions you care to formulate about me or anyone else on this site who doesn't openly agree with you... When push comes to shove, you know where I stand. With you, that clearly isn't the case.
Being Black Hispanic does not mean you cannot be prejudice so do not try to hide behind your race.

You hate being called on your prejudices so you try to hide behind BS excuses like conviction and so called strength.

If someone is wrong about something, they need to admit that they are wrong. I get the impression you're saying it's okay to continue to claim the same thing even when there is absolute evidence the claim is wrong.

Example, Albany is the capital of NY. Someone who doesn't know NY well claims it's NYC. Another person shows that person a map that clearly has the star where Albany is, marking Albany as the state capital. The original person has been proven wrong but still tries to argue and goes into denial saying the map must be wrong.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:14 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Welp. Nothing wrong with sending some kids from a crowded public school
to a less crowded public school close by. The key word here is public. It's
not like you really have that much control over the situation really, if the
city rezones things a bit for the supposed benefit of all.

Spoiled brats think they have all the voice these days....foh

Old 09-25-2015, 10:22 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Welp. Nothing wrong with sending some kids from a crowded public school
to a less crowded public school close by. The key word here is public. It's
not like you really have that much control over the situation really, if the
city rezones things a bit for the supposed benefit of all.

Spoiled brats think they have all the voice these days....foh
Thank you! That's how public school works

Old 09-25-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Being Black Hispanic does not mean you cannot be prejudice so do not try to hide behind your race.

You hate being called on your prejudices so you try to hide behind BS excuses like conviction and so called strength.

If someone is wrong about something, they need to admit that they are wrong. I get the impression you're saying it's okay to continue to claim the same thing even when there is absolute evidence the claim is wrong.

Example, Albany is the capital of NY. Someone who doesn't know NY well claims it's NYC. Another person shows that person a map that clearly has the star where Albany is, marking Albany as the state capital. The original person has been proven wrong but still tries to argue and goes into denial saying the map must be wrong.
I didn't say I was a black Hispanic. I just said I had black heritage. That wasn't meant to be some form of merit badge as to my opinions but it was to give you an idea of the fact that if I were being "racist" as you put it, towards black or Hispanic folk, I would be being "racist" against myself.

I'm not even going to hit the other part because that is such an idiotic comparison it doesn't even merit a response. Continue living in your PC world where you have to over-think everything you say for fear of offending one of the infinite groups that take issue with any and all positions. As for me, I'll continue to be my same straight-forward honest good-hearted self knowing that when people interact with me, it isn't a facade, what they see is what they get. The same can't be said of you unfortunately.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:35 AM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Maybe, maybe not. Educated white hipsters might not be the turn-off you may think.

And it's one thing for someone to pay the freight to move to a particular town to get their kid in a particular school or district. To some extent this is economic segregation, but everyone is playing by the same rule (money talks.) It's another thing to have your existing home redistricted, especially when the new district is a major downgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
On the flip side, I don't think clean shaven hedge funder Matt Wallmark and his wife Jane Wallmark, with their kids Zander, and Megan, don't want hipster neighbors in their beloved suburb of Bronxville. Who wants to see a woman with tattoo sleeve or her husband with beard all the time who have a twin kids named siri and apple.
And it's worked out badly for many more.

For a long time there was a functional circulation of population between the city and the suburbs. Young singles out of college moved to the city to build careers, have fun, and more likely than not, marry one of the hookups they made along the way. When they decided they wanted to pop out some kids, they moved to the 'burb's, which are just a much more functional place to raise kids. The 'burb's had the space and the better schools. And back then, the interesting edginess that made the city fun for singles made it an undesirable place to raise kids. Those kids grew up in the 'burb's, went to college, graduated, moved to the city, and the cycle repeated.

At some point, a new generation parents, seeing the city became safer, decided to try and slug it out with their offspring. But while the city improved in a number of ways, the schools just didn't keep up. And this is really where we are now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
To say that they "should be" in the suburbs is rather strong. There are no guarantees in the NYC public school system, but it works out well for a lot of people nonetheless.
In particular cases, maybe, but that can usually be worked out. If not, and if it's a dire enough situation, the parents can swap houses to another equivalent 'burb.

Quote:
A problem with the suburban system is there is only one public option. A friend whose son is in a prestigious suburban system had a (very traumatic) issue with a fellow student and continues to see him year after year since they don't want to move, and pay so much in taxes specifically for the school system. In NYC, if you're savvy enough, you could probably finagle a switch to another school since it's a much larger system.
But that means you have to fight. As with any fight, losing is always a possibility. It also means you need a good amount of like minded compatriots to fight with you. All of this is a lot of work and stress, and, as I said before, it may not succeed.

It's much easier to go someplace where you get the sure thing.

Quote:
Actually it isn't a part of the growing up process.

For those whose kids do end up in the substandard ghetto school, there are ways to fight to make these schools better.
Priorities change. And kids are likely the biggest changer of priorities in a person's life.
Quote:

Also since having children doesn't change the fact that parents WORK, they may prefer to live closer to their JOBS (in NYC) and closer to other things they do. Suburbs have nothing to do with families and clearly plenty of people in NYC have kids.
And those schools tend to get swamped to the point of being overwhelmed. Look at PS6.
Quote:

And actually depending on what neighborhood you live in there are plenty of good public schools in NYC, as well as the specialized public schools one must take a test to get in.

There are also after school programs that parents enroll their kids in to help their kids be ahead of the ballpark so to speak.

Last edited by BBMW; 09-25-2015 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City