Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:48 AM

457 posts, read 643,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothrapali2015 View Post
I see.

I always had that feeling about the northeast, at least areas like New Jersey, NY, and Pennsylvania. Statistics have shown that of all the regions, interracial marriages are a lot less common there and in the midwest.

Now I just found it irritating how a lot of the northerners I run into here in Texas consistently point out that I am dating girls of other races as an Indian guy.
Yep, sorry about that: that's New Yorkers for ya'

POINTING OUT things like that to your face. Obnoxious twatwaffles. Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 10:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Flatbush Ave, in Brooklyn. It's like THE BERLIN WALL.

Plus how many places - anywhere, for that matter - do you see the races living together and intermarrying? New York thinks it's "integrated" but everywhere I went people seem to hold onto for dear life, that idea that every group "belongs on their own SIDE." As if, "it's fine to work together on Manhattan but then you go home to "your side" where you "belong." Crap like that was said to me by a Jewish guy who claims he LIKES me. I have to point out, over and over again, because he's fairly dense and stupid, that if HIS WAY was the way then we wouldn't have lived in the same HOSTEL and would have never MET. Duh. So much for "every" Jewish person having a brain, eh? (Fortunately, in spite of New York I don't buy into stereotypes!)
There is substantial segregation in NYC, however there are neighborhoods with varying degrees of integration.

In the Bronx you do see lots of Blacks and Hispanics (of all races) living in the same neighborhoods. Ditto for Upper Manhattan and parts of Queens.

In certain gentrifying neighborhoods you do have a number of whites living in the same neighborhood as non whites (parts of Brooklyn, Upper Manhattan, and the Lower East Side).

Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 152,484 times
NYC is racially segregated. Even USA Today had an article ranking the most segregated cities in America and NYC was #1. Don't be fooled. People are forced to work with other races but they go back to their own communities. With the exception of some of the newly gentrified neighborhoods you hardly see much co-mingling after hours.

Some races are more ignorant than others when it comes to co-mingling. Some are very open minded and some are very close minded. They're not interested in accepting or getting to now other types of people because of how they were raised. You can tell the usual types from this forum who don't care how nice, professional, and peaceful a person can be. All they see is race or hear diversity and they don't want to have nothing to do with it.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqa View Post
NYC is racially segregated. Even USA Today had an article ranking the most segregated cities in America and NYC was #1. Don't be fooled. People are forced to work with other races but they go back to their own communities. With the exception of some of the newly gentrified neighborhoods you hardly see much co-mingling after hours.

Some races are more ignorant than others when it comes to co-mingling. Some are very open minded and some are very close minded. They're not interested in accepting or getting to now other types of people because of how they were raised. You can tell the usual types from this forum who don't care how nice, professional, and peaceful a person can be. All they see is race or hear diversity and they don't want to have nothing to do with it.
Good points.

You can really name out the neighborhoods newly gentrified neighborhoods. Harlem, Washington Heights, Lower East Side, Bedstuy, and Bushwick. The West Village is pretty white in terms of residents but a lot of Blacks and Latinos go out there.

Places like UES, UWS, Midtown, Downtown, Tribeca, Chelsea (not including the projects) DUMBO, Greenpoint are all pretty white. Central Queens is heavily Hispanic except for the Asian and South Asian districts (those groups do not intermix much). The Bronx is heavily Latino and Black. Northeastern Brooklyn is heavily Black.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:33 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,276,131 times
I am biracial. My neighbors are Puerto Rican Hispanic and transplant white. Then it is Chinese, followed by Central American Hispanic, black, than ethnic white. I'd say my NYC block is very diverse. More so than any other block in the entire country. And my block is in Queens. Oh, and my tenants are South Asian from India, and non-Hispanic Central American. I didn't even go into my neighbors tenants, but it would just add to the diversity.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:55 AM

436 posts, read 563,300 times
I don't think too many people are denying the diversity of the city. It's a question of segregation, which I think is rampant. There may not be a government supporting segregation like in the southern part of the US about 50-60 years ago, but that doesn't mean people can't self-segregate.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I don't think too many people are denying the diversity of the city. It's a question of segregation, which I think is rampant. There may not be a government supporting segregation like in the southern part of the US about 50-60 years ago, but that doesn't mean people can't self-segregate.
It isn't just self segregation. Housing discrimination wasn't really federally illegal until the 1970s, and didn't become there weren't real efforts to do anything about housing discrimination until the 1970s and 1980s.

City College in the late 60s despite being in Central Harlem was 96% white. It was the late 60s/early 70s activism that opened up CUNY to student activism.

If you're talking about the city's hottest neighborhoods only people with lots of money can afford them and they tend to be white. There are barriers to social mobility and one is the cost of education. Another is that professional degrees tend to require graduate degrees, and the high cost of that screens out many minorities.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:48 PM
gqa

175 posts, read 152,484 times
Come on people. I wish NYC wasn't so segregated but it is. I grew up in Bkyln and now live in Queens. JUST because people of different races may live amongst each other MAY mean that particular area has diversity but that doesn't mean these people mingle and associate with each other. So often you'll see people of different races walk by people of other races and not even say Good morning but speak to people only like them. How many of you have had someone of a completely opposite race over for dinner? Gone to their house for dinner? Segregation is so bad here that when myself and one of my co-workers of another race became best friends and hung out together a lot people either thought we were gay or cops. SMH.

Nothing warms my heart more than to see people hanging out from different races having a good time and treating each other as equals. Even more so when they can live together in a neighborhood and work together and respect each other as equals. I'm not sating that it doesn't exist in NYC but it very hard to find. I think too many people are quick to believe the worst in others from what they see on the media and generalize the entire race rather than get to know them personally. And that goes both ways!

Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,902,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

City College in the late 60s despite being in Central Harlem was 96% white. It was the late 60s/early 70s activism that opened up CUNY to student activism.
City College is not in Central Harlem.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:20 PM

415 posts, read 512,079 times
humans are tribal and love to self segregate.

it's considered romantic by leftists except when white people do it. Then, it's evil.

makes perfect sense to...leftists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City