Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:12 AM

436 posts, read 565,075 times

Advertisements

I think we're all well-aware of how the city has changed during the Bloomberg years for those not fortunate enough to have a large income. Was he a net-positive for the two groups cited in the topic title, or are they worse off than before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 09:47 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Worse off by far. He is not the worst guy in the world (certainly not evil hearted like Drool-iani) but when it comes to ordinary folk, he just doesn't get it.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:27 AM

544 posts, read 1,527,026 times
What he did to improve the lifestyle (so to speak) of NYers, such as those targeted at health and exercise, certainly benefits more of the people you refer to than the more wealthy.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:42 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
Bloomberg presided over the transition of the city from a place with a strong working class heritage, to a playground for wealthy elites. As a construction worker I can say that we had tons of work...and everyone had long commutes because the city was too expensive. I remained in the 5 boros and am viewed by co workers as an eccentric.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
City services like 311 was created by Bloomberg. He used technology to improve city services.

Gentrification and the expansion of national chains gave New Yorkers better shopping and food options.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Azure View Post
I think we're all well-aware of how the city has changed during the Bloomberg years for those not fortunate enough to have a large income. Was he a net-positive for the two groups cited in the topic title, or are they worse off than before?

I think worse off, definitely - however, as much as I came to dislike Bloomberg, that can't all be blamed on him. Obviously, the problems were national.

Can't help but wonder, though, if NYWriterDude has any idea how incompetent 311 is overall, and how it has actively hindered citizens from reaching the right people.

(And now that I think of it, please note my reasonable response, despite my dislike - unlike the people who hate DeBlasio, who seem beyond reason.)

Old 09-27-2015, 03:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think worse off, definitely - however, as much as I came to dislike Bloomberg, that can't all be blamed on him. Obviously, the problems were national.

Can't help but wonder, though, if NYWriterDude has any idea how incompetent 311 is overall, and how it has actively hindered citizens from reaching the right people.

(And now that I think of it, please note my reasonable response, despite my dislike - unlike the people who hate DeBlasio, who seem beyond reason.)
I have used 311 many times and it was much easier than looking up whatever number from the white pages.

It never hindered me from reaching the right people and overall it has been pretty popular.

The city has budget surpluses because of Bloomberg. Bloomberg got more diverse corporate investment in the city.

The city's educational institutions expanded quite a bit in the Bloomberg era.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:27 PM

15,843 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Bloomberg certainly didn't do anything to slow down the increasing COL in NYC, but he wasn't the cause of it.

There had been factors that had been preventing wholesale gentrification in the city for a few decades before the end of the twentieth century. Think in terms of the collapse of the industrial economy in the city, the 70s financial crisis, the rampant crime, the rent laws, etc.. Through the 90s, these were all in one way or another dealt with. By the time Bloomberg got into office, NYC had become a highly desirable place to live, and for demographic groups for whom it really hadn't been previously (think we'll of parents with children.) So the working class just had more and richer competition for city resources, and they couldn't, and still can't compete.

Bloomberg didn't do anything to change that situation, was happy to let it continue, and did everything possible to help it along. But, of course, this was the proper thing for him to do.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I have used 311 many times and it was much easier than looking up whatever number from the white pages.

It never hindered me from reaching the right people and overall it has been pretty popular.

The city has budget surpluses because of Bloomberg. Bloomberg got more diverse corporate investment in the city. The city's educational institutions expanded quite a bit in the Bloomberg era.

You're so funny. The reason 311 was easier is because with the advent of 311, the telephone directory stopped printing city government numbers. The telephone directory used to have much more information than they provide to 311.

Maybe you ask them simple questions, so you haven't had problems. Some day when you have nothing better to do, ask them something like, "What number in the Department of Buildings should I call to ask about the requirements for buzzers and intercoms?" or "Where should I call in the Finance department to get an overview of the rebates available for co-ops and condos?" 311 is great for people who know nothing about NYC and have only the most basic issues, like filing a no-heat complaint.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Maybe you ask them simple questions, so you haven't had problems. Some day when you have nothing better to do, ask them something like, "What number in the Department of Buildings should I call to ask about the requirements for buzzers and intercoms?" or "Where should I call in the Finance department to get an overview of the rebates available for co-ops and condos?" 311 is great for people who know nothing about NYC and have only the most basic issues, like filing a no-heat complaint.
Agree, as do many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City