Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 AM

2,730 posts, read 6,102,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
No, and it's really not meant to be. It's called SUPPLEMENTAL meaning it's not meant to be your entire budget. It's to help boost your food budget not be your food budget
People love to ignore this fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 04:26 PM

31,741 posts, read 26,654,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
People love to ignore this fact.
True, true.

Nearly all so called "welfare" and also the entitlement programs including Social Security (don't look at me like that, SS is what it is and you are entitled to payments if meet the contribution qualifications and or are or were married to someone who does), are designed to *Supplement* one's income or whatever and not be the main source.

Many have no idea that Medicare is *NOT* some sort of universal healthcare. It isn't free (payments are deducted from your SS check before you even get it) nor does it pay 100% for everything. What it does not pay in full you will have to make up the difference. That or take out a supplemental insurance plan that will kick in.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,203,276 times
Food Stamps is called SNAP correct? I just looked it up and if you make the under 31.5k for a family of 4 you would get $600 a month. Now you can feed a family well on $600 a month.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:39 PM

31,741 posts, read 26,654,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Food Stamps is called SNAP correct? I just looked it up and if you make the under 31.5k for a family of 4 you would get $600 a month. Now you can feed a family well on $600 a month.

Yes, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supple...stance_Program

Old 10-01-2015, 04:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlingtothemoon View Post
i'm not speaking in regards to myself i am generally speaking on people who i personally know that truly struggle to put food on the table because they need to provide for sick family members or for their siblings school supplies. now when i am referring to myself i will say I NEED or I WANT until then don't assume because you know what they say about assumptions.
You are mistaken when you say ^^^^, the reality is they do not "need" to provide for anyone except a minor birth child or one they have legal custody or guardianship of. People choose to provide things for those they are not obligated to provide for so there is a vast difference between the "need" to provide and the "choice" to provide.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 AM

25,364 posts, read 36,930,648 times
What are the current RESOURCE limits for Food Stamps/SNAP?
It used to be preposterously low, close to nothing.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:23 AM

142 posts, read 264,645 times
Quote:
when did i say myself? i am not a traffic enforcement agent but i know someone who is he only makes 29 thousand a year with having to pay rent having to pay utilities living in manhattan do you honestly think 29 thousand is enough to support yourself??

once again i pay taxes too you aren't the only one and i cannot stand people who act the way you do as i told another user you don't know someone's financial situation you have no idea whether i have to or whomever has to pay for a monthly medical insurance which runs you almost 300 a month,you have no idea if i or whomever has to support an ill family member.

you have plenty of people on food stamps who instead of buying actual food will sit there and cash them so don't judge someone who actually does need them.
Most people prepare for things...Dang, someone only makes $29,000 in Manhattan? Sounds like a poor life decision. Having to pay for monthly medical insurance? Sounds like you need to find a new job or go through the proper channels to receive breaks on NY State healthcare. Support an ill family member? Prepare for the worst.

No judging, just common sense. Prepare and make smart choices. Curve balls will get thrown at you every now and then.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:56 AM

73 posts, read 57,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
Most people prepare for things...Dang, someone only makes $29,000 in Manhattan? Sounds like a poor life decision. Having to pay for monthly medical insurance? Sounds like you need to find a new job or go through the proper channels to receive breaks on NY State healthcare. Support an ill family member? Prepare for the worst.

No judging, just common sense. Prepare and make smart choices. Curve balls will get thrown at you every now and then.

same way someone prepares to be diagnosed with cancer right?

Old 10-03-2015, 10:10 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,203,276 times
Quote:
same way someone prepares to be diagnosed with cancer right?
Everyone will eventually get some form of cancer so ya better start planning for it

Old 10-03-2015, 10:23 AM

73 posts, read 57,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Everyone will eventually get some form of cancer so ya better start planning for it

same way people planned for 9/11 right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City