Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,458 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I am planning to switch my carrier from Virgin to one of MNVO, since Virgin doesn't run 4G speed and 64GB selection on iphone6s.

My budget is $30-35/month and prefer no-contract. (my usage of packet is slightly over 1GB )

Could someone who are on Criket, Boost, Metro please give me a review of these companies? Especially in regards to the coverage, the speed(do they really run 4G/LTE speed on iphones?)

I mainly use my phone in Manhattan or Brooklyn

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:19 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,657,135 times
My family switched to Cricket last year when they launched service in NYC. We are happy with them. $100 dollars for 5 lines is the best deal in town. Cricket is owned by at&t and they are running on the same network. It has a 8 mbit/s LTE speed limit, but it is fast enough for us to do everything on the phone.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:38 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,268,591 times
I've been a metro customer for over 4 years now and I am extremely happy with them. I have not had any major issues and the price is extremely fair. I can't speak for the other two since I don't have any experience with them. Prior to Metro I had Verizon and Sprint and both were unpleasant experiences overall. Sprint in terms of customer service and call quality, Verizon poor customer service and borderline thievery.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,458 times
Thank you for the quick responses.

Hi,bill83. May I ask question?
1.Do you see 4G/LTE on the top left of the screen?
2.Is there any limitation besides 8 mbit/s limitation when you streaming a movie? (Some carriers give a limitation to watch movies.)

Hi, NooYowkur81. May I ask question?
My concern of MetroPC is their coverage. When/where do you have difficulty to catch a good signal to internet browsing?

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell4 View Post

2.Is there any limitation besides 8 mbit/s limitation when you streaming a movie? (Some carriers give a limitation to watch movies.)

Hi, NooYowkur81. May I ask question?
My concern of MetroPC is their coverage. When/where do you have difficulty to catch a good signal to internet browsing?

Thanks.
I honestly never have trouble. I work in financial district and I still get service. It was honestly spottier before they linked up with t-mobile but these days I get good to great internet and call service pretty much everywhere. I remember prior to them linking up with t-mobile I would often not get service in the building I work in. I also work in the field and I am all over the city. No issues. The only borough I don't regularly work in is SI.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,657,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell4 View Post

2.Is there any limitation besides 8 mbit/s limitation when you streaming a movie? (Some carriers give a limitation to watch movies.
1. LTE 99% of the time.

2. No problem watching Youtube. I don't have Netflix. My plan has 2.5GB LTE data. It will slow down to 128Kb/s after that.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:57 AM

372 posts, read 399,091 times
I'm using Boost. I get a fairly consistent signal and decent enough calls, but the downside is that they seem to have a small supply of phone numbers or something and they like to recycle them. As a result I'm constantly bomboarded by Mexican spammers trying to sell me crap I don't want or need or understand since I don't speak Spanish.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:12 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,598,907 times
Verizon wireless has a prepaid $45/month plan with unlimited talk/text and 2gb of data. It's just slightly out of your budget but you'll get reliable service.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Shuts Up View Post
I'm using Boost. I get a fairly consistent signal and decent enough calls, but the downside is that they seem to have a small supply of phone numbers or something and they like to recycle them. As a result I'm constantly bomboarded by Mexican spammers trying to sell me crap I don't want or need or understand since I don't speak Spanish.
I believe boost is CDMA only. Don't quote me though. I tend to prefer GSM phones.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 AM

372 posts, read 399,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I believe boost is CDMA only. Don't quote me though. I tend to prefer GSM phones.
I've never noticed any significant difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City