Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 PM

63 posts, read 86,631 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I currently live in Ridgewood, and my girlfriend lives on the UWS near Morningside Park. We've been talking about finding our own place together, but she absolutely doesn't want to move to Queens. She doesn't want to leave Manhattan, or the west side, for that matter.

I've been looking at potential compromises. She wants to stay as close to the Morningside Park area as possible. I have a car. PROBLEM. I drive almost every day, need my car for my work because not only am I driving to Westchester, CT, and LI, but I have to haul gear and people frequently (musician). Further problem, I don't get back home until 8-9 PM at the earliest, and 2-3 AM at the latest. So parking is not fun. And my car is non-negotiable.

I'm looking at neighborhoods north of her area, particularly Inwood, as she's lived there before and liked it well enough. But I need street parking, just don't have the budget for a garage.

I've read through a lot of threads about parking in Inwood. Most people say it's very difficult, a few say it's not so bad. Keep in mind that I am getting back after all the commuters. Ridgewood is impossible for parking as well. I'm no stranger to parking a 15 minute walk away (I live close enough to Bushwick that I often park near the Halsey Street L train). That doesn't bother me, and that condition is something that most threads don't address. I'm totally fine with walking several blocks from where I park. My parking strategy is basically to make sure I don't have to wake up for ASP that starts at 7:30/8/9. I can deal with 10:30/11. With those things in mind, is Inwood within the realm of practical possibility for me? The only other solution I can envision is getting into an 80/20 building and then getting a garage, but I don't want to plan my life around winning a lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swelshbucket View Post
Hi all. I currently live in Ridgewood, and my girlfriend lives on the UWS near Morningside Park. We've been talking about finding our own place together, but she absolutely doesn't want to move to Queens. She doesn't want to leave Manhattan, or the west side, for that matter.

I've been looking at potential compromises. She wants to stay as close to the Morningside Park area as possible. I have a car. PROBLEM. I drive almost every day, need my car for my work because not only am I driving to Westchester, CT, and LI, but I have to haul gear and people frequently (musician). Further problem, I don't get back home until 8-9 PM at the earliest, and 2-3 AM at the latest. So parking is not fun. And my car is non-negotiable.

OK, but sounds like you're the only one compromising. If she really wants to live together and absolutely refuses to move to Queens, then she should be the one offering to pay for your parking spot, which, if you move to Inwood or some place further up, should be cheaper than paying for a spot on the UWS.

Last edited by Henna; 10-03-2015 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 08:12 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swelshbucket View Post

A lot of people living around Morningside Park have cars.

I would even say - most people.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Going from having two places, one in Queens and one in Morningside Park, to one place in Inwood (cheaper than Morningside Park, right?) ought to free up some money for a garage.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:35 PM

It's not impossible to find a spot relatively close to her current place, it's just the early ASP that kills me in that neighborhood, so I just can't go up there unless it's a Tuesday, Friday, or Saturday night to avoid it. Also she is east of the park. Is it easier further west?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:30 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
She won't move to Queens, but she'd move to Inwood?

Old 10-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
She won't move to Queens, but she'd move to Inwood?
3 trains to get to her work and friends (one of which doesn't run at night or on weekends) vs. just 1.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,105 times
Just put some merengue on the car stereo, turn it all the way up, and double-park anywhere east of Broadway in Inwood. I've been watching this for years and never seen anyone get a ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City