Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM

544 posts, read 1,527,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Landlord in house next door to mine was caught stealing gas and electric from the city (and charging tenants for rent + utilities). He'd put up some kind of system to siphon off the utilities from the street lines.

Tenant reported a gas smell that she thought was coming from a construction site down the street, but trucks and huge fire team found nothing wrong there. A few minutes later, a small number of men came to her place, asking to check it because she'd called in the complaint. Opening the door, a huge amount of gas smell came out. FD went in and disconnected stoves on both floors.
Aren't they required to have monoxide detector?

Now maybe the gas smells I smelled occasionally at some locations might be suspicious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:29 AM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
Would monoxide detector have picked up on this? (I'm mechanically challenged, sorry). That's interesting. That LL is non-compliant in other ways I can see from outdoors, which I've reported with result that city health inspectors are following up on those things. But I don't know whether he had a monoxide detector. I think my neighbor said yes, but I'll check in with her. We talk on the stoop.

I'm told this siphoning off happens around this city. It's not "often" but it's also not unheard-of, either.

Siphoning was one of the suspicious factors of the East Village explosion, too, where a landlord called in a plumber to shut off something that it was rumored *might*have been a siphoning set-up, and the plumber says the LL told him to keep quiet. Then the explosion. All of that's being investigated now, I believe.

My real point is that, before someone jumps to blame a tenant, landlord, plumber, or original construction crew, we have to count on investigations for facts in each case. Any one of those groups could be the culprit.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-06-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-06-2015, 05:29 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
The plot thickens

Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
Would monoxide detector have picked up on this? (I'm mechanically challenged, sorry). That's interesting. That LL is non-compliant in other ways I can see from outdoors, which I've reported with result that city health inspectors are following up on those things. But I don't know whether he had a monoxide detector. I think my neighbor said yes, but I'll check in with her. We talk on the stoop.

I'm told this siphoning off happens around this city. It's not "often" but it's also not unheard-of, either.

Siphoning was one of the suspicious factors of the East Village explosion, too, where a landlord called in a plumber to shut off something that it was rumored *might*have been a siphoning set-up, and the plumber says the LL told him to keep quiet. Then the explosion. All of that's being investigated now, I believe.

My real point is that, before someone jumps to blame a tenant, landlord, plumber, or original construction crew, we have to count on investigations for facts in each case. Any one of those groups could be the culprit.
Siphoning gas or bohacking electric has been going on pretty much ever since pipes and or wires were installed along with meters. Some cannot pay while others won't so the easy solution in their minds is to.... Ditto for cable television. Did short stint at TWC customer service while in college and the number one service related issue were problems caused by someone tapping into cable.

You have no small number of persons in NYC who come from themselves or perhaps their elders places where stealing (calling it for what it is) gas, electric or whatever is just a way of life. Usually the utilities are government run monopolies which makes getting over on them doubly nice.

Any-who a result of all these recent activities is that it can now take months to get Con Edison to approve any new gas work. Once they do come out if any little thing is found wrong the gas will not be turned on.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:47 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I don't understand why people report out stories the way they do.

First, they say it might be the removal of a stove and probably make the family have a heart attack thinking they might get charged with a crime. Heck, just read the comments left on here.

Now they think it's this: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2387769

And now they say the gas was already turned off.

I hate all of the speculation before they have the littlest bit of evidence.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
What is blue blazes would a hairdresser use on people's heads that is capable of blowing off the front of a building? That would take a LOT of peroxide.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:14 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What is blue blazes would a hairdresser use on people's heads that is capable of blowing off the front of a building? That would take a LOT of peroxide.
I once heard that the things they use to straighten hair are the chemicals used in embalming processes.
Who knows what such chemicals could do.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:03 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I once heard that the things they use to straighten hair are the chemicals used in embalming processes.
Who knows what such chemicals could do.
Chemical you are referring to is formaldehyde which is used or was used extensively as a preservative in many products including those used on hair. After being linked to causing cancer it has largely been withdrawn from many products sold in the USA and Western Europe. This or the amounts must fall below a certain small amount. However it came to light a few years or so ago that certain methods of hair straightening (mainly the Brazilian or Asian "blow-outs) used products that contained formaldehyde in high amounts.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Aren't they required to have monoxide detector?
Carbon monoxide detectors will NOT pick up on natural gas (essentially, methane.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: