Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 PM

22 posts, read 45,585 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a hot water situation. I notified the landlord since the first day I moved in that the hot water in shower/bath is not working properly. She came to see and stated that the water was warm (which it was, then turned cold minutes after the landlord left the premise). At best, it got slightly warm, but never hot. So I confirmed with her again that there's only cold (and slightly less cold) water 2 days after. I mentioned it to her a few times after that and never got a definite answer from her of what the solution to this will be. It has been 2 weeks since my move in and it's still the same. It seems her excuse was that her brother is the one doing all this work (seem like they both are landlords) and he's away and won't be back until this weekend. She said there would be someone (whom I assumed is her brother) to fix it today, and then today when the time came, she said they cancelled and will come tomorrow instead. NYC is getting colder everyday. I talked to her today about the possibility of not paying full rent because I haven't been getting hot water in the past 2 weeks. She said no and told me that I could have got some hot water from the kitchen sink to take a bath since the hot water there works (kitchen sink and bathroom sink have hot water. Only the bath/shower doesn't). I have been very patient and not calling 311 even though I feel I should have. My roommate and co-lease holder also doesn't want to stay on bad terms with the landlord since the very first month. I guess I shall see if someone will come to fix it tomorrow, but is there anything I can/should do in this situation? I feel I was being treated unfairly but should I just get over it and let it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 01:26 AM

11 posts, read 25,248 times
Just be persistent and hold her to her word. If it goes beyond the promised weekend - maybe use stronger language like that you will get someone to do it and deduct it from the rent. But be patient for now, dont want to get off to a bad start.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:30 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadenough22 View Post
Just be persistent and hold her to her word. If it goes beyond the promised weekend - maybe use stronger language like that you will get someone to do it and deduct it from the rent. But be patient for now, dont want to get off to a bad start.
I agree. You need to have hot water, And to be able to take an actual shower. I dealt with this frequently in one place I lived so I know how uncomfortable it is. Hold her to her word. A 311 call should be next. Don't worry about "bad terms". You have rights as a paying tenant and not having hot water is not good terms in itself. Let us know how things go.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:46 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Report them to 311. Simple as that.
I don't understand why people are so acred to stand up for their rights.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Be precise, get a thermometer. Hot water needs to be a MINIMUM of 120F, not 119 or 100. If you are not getting that in the bathtub, call the City. Measure often after letting it run for a minute or two and record the time and temperature.
With a schitt landlord like you have, there's no sense trying to stay amicable, it will never work and will come to a head eventually. Might as well be now.

Landlords take advantage of tenants who try to be nice.

What is strange is that the hot water in the bathroom sink is hot but the shower is not. It is usually the same connection.

(Does your shower have an "anti scald valve?")

Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Report them to 311. Simple as that.
I don't understand why people are so acred to stand up for their rights.
Unfortunately because those who complain to 311 don't get their leases renewed.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Landlords may retaliate this way, But it sounds better to not live in a place to pay high rents much of the time and not have basics like hot water if nothing changes after bringing it up.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
What about your neighbors above and below you?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:30 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Heat & Hot Water | Metropolitan Council on Housing

Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Landlords may retaliate this way, But it sounds better to not live in a place to pay high rents much of the time and not have basics like hot water if nothing changes after bringing it up.
Exactly D Scott. I'm not living in a place like that. I need heat and hot water.

My friend called 311 about heating issues on her private house landlord. He got pissed and said if you want to complain, we can just end you lease now. She said perfect. She was more than happy to leave then live in a place without proper heat.
She's a single mother with two children so it was difficult to have to move so suddenly but she did it. I only say that as most always say I don't have the time, money, ect to just move right now so instead they stay on a place thats crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City