U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 31,181 times

Advertisements

Hi,

i'm thinking about getting a car but not sure.

Does anyone have experience with on street parking in the upper westside or know what its like? is it like impossible? very good? or what? as bad as midtown? well, actually i mostly want to know whats the parking situation is like on saturday nights near central park west in the upper west 60's or low 70's.

thanks for anyone that can help and provide some insight.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 09:15 AM

954 posts, read 4,237,396 times
I personally wouldn't want to own a car if I lived in UWS unless I could afford a garage. I have spent an hour looking for a parking place when visiting a friend up there. Of course, the farther up the better.
I doubt if you are going to find much on Saturday nights near the park. Many people there will either be at home on Saturday nights or already gone for the weekend.
In generally a car in Manhattan is a bad idea, unless you are way way north on the island.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:49 AM

602 posts, read 1,165,763 times
Ditto on the street parking in UWS, good luck. Also, make sure you take the cost of insurance into your equation. I have found auto insurance in NYC to be TOTALLY outrageous. I ended up getting the best price by getting my insurance through a company upstate that "doesn't like to write" policies for us downstate folks, but are occassionally willing to. And it was still outrageous, just not as bad as what I was getting quoted locally.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:34 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,673,468 times
Why on EARTH would you want to live in Manhattan and own a car (unless, of course, you have a country house, which would also mean that you'd likely have enough money to easily afford a garage)....????

I've live in NYC my entire life, except for a short (1.5y) in Princeton, NJ. The first thing I did when I moved back was to SELL MY CAR. It's not necessary! Really! That's what rental agencies are for. I've calculated that it's probably about $5000/year - WITHOUT a garage - to keep a car in NYC. Insurance is expensive. Not to mention the damage your car will sustain being parked on the street....

You might want to reconsider.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 PM

I know it seems like we are all beating the crap out of this guy, but really. The first thing I did when we decided to move here was to sell our cars. My mom came for a visit this summer. We had lived in Manhattan for almost 7 years, and moved to Brooklyn about 6 months ago. So, we had her car here for about a month. It was nice to do a few things that we normally wouldn't do. However, it got towed, in spite of the fact that it was parked perfectly legally. The three other people we ran into at the impound lot, all had cars with out of state licenses. Cost me about $350. The appeal before a panel of three judges was a joke.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,906,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Why on EARTH would you want to live in Manhattan and own a car (unless, of course, you have a country house, which would also mean that you'd likely have enough money to easily afford a garage)....????

I've live in NYC my entire life, except for a short (1.5y) in Princeton, NJ. The first thing I did when I moved back was to SELL MY CAR. It's not necessary! Really! That's what rental agencies are for. I've calculated that it's probably about $5000/year - WITHOUT a garage - to keep a car in NYC. Insurance is expensive. Not to mention the damage your car will sustain being parked on the street....

You might want to reconsider.
Right.... And it is sooo much better to spend over $3,000 a month (over $36,000 a year) on a 500 square foot (huge & loftlike right??) walk up apartment on the 'upper west or east side' and spend something like $10 or more dollars on cabs each day just because auto insurance is 'a little bit' more expensive.

And $5,000 a year to maintain a car in NYC is cheap but much better than spending $10 a day on cabs and having to rely on the subway & bus during non rush hours (service ranges from merely annoying to absolutely horrible)

And you suggest renting a car in NYC?? Good luck with that. Plan on spending over $100 PER DAY if you ever decide to rent a car from any car rental place in the 5 boros or Long Island and be prepared to fill out an application that is so extensive you would think you were applying for a car loan.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:35 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,843,460 times
I can't disagree with you about the cost of housing, but I honestly don't see whats so bad with the subways. Its definitely the quickest way of getting around the city in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Right.... And it is sooo much better to spend over $3,000 a month (over $36,000 a year) on a 500 square foot (huge & loftlike right??) walk up apartment on the 'upper west or east side' and spend something like $10 or more dollars on cabs each day just because auto insurance is 'a little bit' more expensive.

And $5,000 a year to maintain a car in NYC is cheap but much better than spending $10 a day on cabs and having to rely on the subway & bus during non rush hours (service ranges from merely annoying to absolutely horrible)

And you suggest renting a car in NYC?? Good luck with that. Plan on spending over $100 PER DAY if you ever decide to rent a car from any car rental place in the 5 boros or Long Island and be prepared to fill out an application that is so extensive you would think you were applying for a car loan.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:57 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,673,468 times
One CHOOSES to live in Manhattan. Nobody's holding anyone at gunpoint to live here. But having a car IS a choice.

I happen to think the subway is a GREAT way to get around. Buses are slow, yes, but good for short hops.

If you have that kind of money to burn on a car, be my guest. Renting, at least for me, is a piece of cake. I only use cars, if ever, on rare weekends and there's no onerous paperwork. Perhaps your driving record is a problem if you have to fill out so much paperwork.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:34 AM

If you find that you need a car fairly often, the Zip Car thing is an interesting option. We don't need one often enough for it to make sense.
BTW - I rented a car about a month ago for the weekend. Picked it up in Brooklyn. Paid about $45 a day, and didn't do any more paper work than when I have rented a car in California or North Carolina.
PS-Subways are terrific and dependable. Why waste money on a cab? The only time we take a cab, is if we need to haul something home from the store or want to treat ourselves when going to a Broadway show or something like that.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:30 AM

602 posts, read 1,165,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post

I found car insurance to be a LOT more expensive in NYC, FWIW (not 'a little bit'.) I'm in the city every day, and often times on the weekend with my family. Even at odd times I've never had any trouble with quick subway service in Manhattan, I can't comment on the other boroughs. We have one car because we live in Staten Island with four kids and three dogs, but we generally don't take it to Manhattan. Most parts of Staten Island are a pain without a car. We take SIR to the ferry to the subway into Manhattan, even with all the quirky weekend reroutes we have not run into any trouble. I've never taken a cab so I have no idea what that runs, other than expensive. I have never had any trouble quickly renting a decent car in Brooklyn, Staten Island, or Long Island for $40-$50 a day. I don't know about Manhattan (haven't rented a car there,) but if it is $100 a day I would certainly suggest a train to Brooklyn or ferry/SIR to Staten Island to rent.

P.S. $10 a day for cabs would be $300 a month (assuming a seven day week.) I'm not sure what parking runs on the UWS, but it runs $450-$600/mo on the UES in a good garage, and that is before your car payment, gas, insurance, and maintenance. FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>