Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:05 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times

Advertisements

So, this article (which I found thanks to Brian Lehrer this morning) is pretty striking: Price Gap Separating Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens Getting Smaller | StreetEasy Blog

An excerpt:
Quote:
It’s no secret that Manhattan real estate prices are high. According to StreetEasy’s latest market report, the median resale value of all homes in Manhattan reached $986,314 in August while the median asking rent is forecast to reach $3,092 in 2015.
If you’re not already convinced that Brooklyn is catching up with Manhattan rental prices, look no further than Dumbo. The warehouses and industrial outfits that once defined the now bustling neighborhood have given way to some of New York City’s most expensive rental properties. The fourth-most expensive, to be exact. The median asking rent in Dumbo is expected to reach $4,079 in 2015, roughly 31 percent higher than Manhattan’s median asking rent and behind only three other neighborhoods in the city: Central Park South ($5,898), Tribeca ($5,542), and Flatiron ($4,177).
That's pretty batty, no? I'm in the sort-of-protracted process of trying to move (back) to NYC—I spent a short time living in Hell's Kitchen some years ago, though I can't imagine affording that anymore—and it's discouraging to say the least. (Not that I want to live in most of Brooklyn, really; it's just a sign of the bigger trend, so far as I can see.)

My only solace is that my girlfriend is a Columbia grad student, and she will be a newly minted graduate (with no student debt) soon, so we'll have a dual income. But good lord, it's looking pretty grim as far as our chances of staying in NYC long-term. What do people think are the logical and probable consequences of this trend? I hear new stories of people leaving the city every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Buy or rent stabilization is pretty good for long term. Median rent values are also bloated, I can guarantee that you'll find cheaper than $4,079 in DUMBO. As college grads, I have doubts you won't be able to afford NYC, especially if you look into neighborhoods that aren't already 'done' so to speak.

Though it depends on what you want. I like small maintainable space and live pretty well in the Lower East Side with a sub $100k job. if I wanted more space, I'd move up to Washington Heights or maybe pay more to stay down here. Ironically, it'd be about the same commute time haha.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
So, this article (which I found thanks to Brian Lehrer this morning) is pretty striking: Price Gap Separating Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens Getting Smaller | StreetEasy Blog

An excerpt:

That's pretty batty, no? I'm in the sort-of-protracted process of trying to move (back) to NYC—I spent a short time living in Hell's Kitchen some years ago, though I can't imagine affording that anymore—and it's discouraging to say the least. (Not that I want to live in most of Brooklyn, really; it's just a sign of the bigger trend, so far as I can see.)

My only solace is that my girlfriend is a Columbia grad student, and she will be a newly minted graduate (with no student debt) soon, so we'll have a dual income. But good lord, it's looking pretty grim as far as our chances of staying in NYC long-term. What do people think are the logical and probable consequences of this trend? I hear new stories of people leaving the city every day.
Disproportionately the people leaving the city are idiots who insist on living in the most expensive neighborhoods.

Hells Kitchen/Midtown West, Dumbo, Tribeca?

There's South Brooklyn, there's Queens away from Western Queens, there's Staten Island (Gasp?), upper Manhattan, and the Bronx. There's also moving across the river to Jersey. I have no sympathy for people who wine about not being able to instantly get a fabulous place in NYC's most expensive neighborhoods.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Disproportionately the people leaving the city are idiots who insist on living in the most expensive neighborhoods.

Hells Kitchen/Midtown West, Dumbo, Tribeca?

There's South Brooklyn, there's Queens away from Western Queens, there's Staten Island (Gasp?), upper Manhattan, and the Bronx. There's also moving across the river to Jersey. I have no sympathy for people who wine about not being able to instantly get a fabulous place in NYC's most expensive neighborhoods.
Isn't the bronx really dangerous though? I personally am planning a move to the city and would prefer not to get mugged walking out the door.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:59 AM

372 posts, read 398,150 times
The Bronx isn't any more dangerous than Brooklyn these days.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Isn't the bronx really dangerous though? I personally am planning a move to the city and would prefer not to get mugged walking out the door.
Parts may be, but parts of Brooklyn are even more dangerous. Look up the crime rate of Brownsville, Brooklyn, then compare to the nice neighborhood of Riverdale, Bronx. Or look up East New York, Brooklyn and compare to Woodlawn, Bronx. Etc.

The media seems very good at painting all of Brooklyn with the "hip, gentrified" brush and all of the Bronx with the "scary, dangerous" brush.

All you need to do is browse the forums for threads asking for advice about where to live in the Bronx. Seems there are plenty of decent neighborhoods there.

Last edited by Henna; 10-09-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywriterdude View Post
there's south brooklyn, there's queens away from western queens, there's staten island (gasp?), upper manhattan, and the bronx. There's also moving across the river to jersey. I have no sympathy for people who wine about not being able to instantly get a fabulous place in nyc's most expensive neighborhoods.
+1

Old 10-09-2015, 10:49 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post

An excerpt:

Given that the rent in at least two of the places = more than my gross income every month, you wouldn't find me there any time soon either.

We own a coop in Southern Brooklyn. Mortgage and maintenance is less than rent would be and even though I hate living in a one bedroom apartment (recently renovated the kitchen; renovated the bathroom last year), we still own a car, recently went to Europe and all that other garbage so a decent life can be had in NYC. (And just for reference, last year was the first year my husband and I had a combined income of 100K.) So our life isn't so bad considering neither of us make anywhere near a six figure income.

We DO talk about moving though, because I'd like an actual house and warmer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
No. Just no.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 AM

850 posts, read 796,022 times
Just to let you know rents everywhere are going up. In Atlanta and Scottsdale,AZ 1bed is 1200-1500 now. Plus you will be blasting your AC in the summer.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM

931 posts, read 801,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Just to let you know rents everywhere are going up. In Atlanta and Scottsdale,AZ 1bed is 1200-1500 now. Plus you will be blasting your AC in the summer.
^^Excellent point^^

Rising rents is a national trend, not just a NY thing. If you don't travel much you would think its only NY but its not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City