Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,762 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am a Phoenix native who has been living in Dallas for the last two years. I will be moving to NYC in the spring for work and am looking for advice about where to live. My office is located right in the heart of midtown, on 50th and Park.

I love the atmosphere of Chelsea/West Village area. My hesitation to living there is that I think my commute may be a little long for me. I would love to live closer to the office, so I can have a shorter commute and therefore leave my dogs at home for as short a period of time as possible. If possible it would be great to be able to head home for lunch to let them out.

As I said however, I really like Chelsea/West Village, and am not sure if there is an area near my office that has a similar vibe to it. I'm fully committed to hiring a dog walker and doing doggie day care once in a while. Primarily I want to make sure I live in a dog-friendly neighborhood (close to parks, pet supply store, etc.).

Right now I think I want to live in Manhattan, but a couple people have mentioned to me that Brooklyn may be good. So feel free to try to persuade me :-).

Also, I'm just curious about how people with dogs get by in general in NYC. I have two medium sized ones: 35 and 55 lbs. I don't currently plan on bringing my car with me. We will walk plenty, but what do people do if they NEED to drive somewhere with their dogs? Rent a car? I've heard a bit about zipcar; do people do that? Will I have problems finding an apartment that is OK with such large dogs?

Thanks to all of you for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 AM

372 posts, read 398,150 times
Most buildings have breed and size restrictions. If it's a pit bull you're going to be extremely limited.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:59 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Having 3 dogs in the city with no one else to care for them will be a living hell for you on top of trying to make a living. I would seriously consider other options.

Your babies will be someone else's nightmare....barking smells taking sidewalk space etc. It is cruel to have anything but a little baby sized dog in NYC.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:15 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlama05 View Post
If possible it would be great to be able to head home for lunch to let them out.
There is no "letting your dogs out" unless you have a backyard. You must put them on a leash and walk them.

What is your budget for an apartment. We can't tell you neighborhoods till we know what you can spend.
With two dogs finding an apartment will be more difficult. But money talks, if you make a lot it will be easier.

I do agree with with really thinking about your living situation and what benefits your dogs versus you. You choose to have two dogs. You have to make sure you can provide a good life for them not just what is best for you.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Just curious. What are your current digs in Dallas? Do you live in a detached house with a back yard or a townhouse with a back yard or an apartment? How many square feet? If your dogs are used to a lot of interior space and running free in a fenced yard, transitioning them to a cramped apartment, elevator rides with mean strangers and walking them on a leash on a crowded sidewalk in cold and wind and dark (poop scooper in hand) won't be easy. I haven't even touched on the unique problems and challenges of actually living in Manhattan for the individual.

My advice: stay in Dallas. New York City: fuhgeddaboudit!

Old 10-09-2015, 03:43 PM

307 posts, read 636,802 times
I had two medium sized dogs in the city (both in Manhattan and Brooklyn). It was fine. I would have a walker come once a day, or drop them off in a daycare once a week to burn them out. There are tons of parks to walk them in as well at night and on weekends. The only limitation is that lots of rental buildings don't allow them. But if they are under 50lbs and not pit-bulls, it shouldn't be too hard.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,762 times
Thanks for the information all. Some answers to some of your questions:

My housing budget is $3,000 - $3,500 per month
I have two dogs, not three
My situation in Dallas: I live in a duplex; my unit is 750 sq ft. The dogs stay in the back room during the day with a dog door to a small back yard. We walk at least once a day, and they go to day care once a week or so.

I recognize that living situation will be a lot different for my dogs in NYC vs Dallas. They are pretty mellow and very friendly, and I'm committed to getting them plenty of exercise, time outside, time with other people and dogs.

Thanks again!

Old 10-09-2015, 08:39 PM

110 posts, read 158,953 times
You may have to add security deposit for dog as well

Some landlord let u do that , but u got to have extra $$ to pay for dog housing

Manhattan is super expensive and super picky about tenant selection

Finding an apt in Manhattan is like getting into Harvard

$3000 monthly rent x 40 = 120k

So u got to make at least this much before taxes

Before landlord or agent going let u see the apt even

They wouldn't even waste their time if you don't have $$$ and good credit

Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Your rental budget will not get you the type of housing and neighborhood that I think you'll want both for yourself and your dogs in Manhattan. My suggestion would be southern Westchester County near a Metro North train station. The train will take you to 42nd and Park (Grand Central) near your job. Do a Zillow rental search for all of Westchester County looking for a townhouse or 2 or 4 plex. You'll also be able to keep your car.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:10 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Like Phonenix which is very suburban. NYC is very urban and will be a huge culture shock for your dogs to be cooped up in small expensive apartments of Manhattan and Brooklyn. I also know that you want to live in an immediate neighborhood in Manhattan or close to Manhattan. Your dogs are big and are used to space. Your dogs should remain in the surburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City