Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:07 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of a plethora of tall towers obstructing central parks view. Leave well enough alone as it is. I however like the actual one 57 and 432 park ave buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 AM

514 posts, read 470,765 times
The skyline was always kind of ugly, so I don't see what the big fuss is about with adding even more ugly high-rises.

Park a 400 meter brutalist monstrosity somewhere like Central Paris and you'd have cause for concern. No such worries for Manhattan.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:15 AM

861 posts, read 852,158 times
One 57 is pretty and its thin profile is nice. Some of the new buildings do seem extreme, but I guess thats what happens when you push the envelope. In time, we will all get used to them..

Old 10-22-2015, 08:01 PM
PQM

93 posts, read 233,487 times
Default A Behind the Scenes Look at How SHoP’s Stunning Facade at 111 West 57th Street Will Come to Life

[Size=5]A Behind the Scenes Look at How SHoP’s Stunning Facade at 111 West 57th Street Will Come to Life[/Size]
By Ondel Hylton
October 21, 2015
http://www.6sqft.com/video-shops-terra-cotta-facade-at-111-west-57th-street-proves-we-can-build-em-like-we-used-to/

Quote:
Last month, JDS Development wowed us with an image showing a visual curtain wall mockup of their super-tower underway at 111 West 57th Street. Now the Michael Stern-led development team in partnership with Property Markets Group has released a new video and a handful of images to keep our mouths watering for what is poised to become New York’s most daring skyscraper in generations.

More info and images in the post here.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
NYC is just a big dorm for millionaires. You'll see nothing new build but big apt complexes and condo buildings.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitectPhildelphia View Post
Hello everybody,

I have been a fan of the NYC Skyline for many years. I have visited the city many times and I loved looking up at all the skyscrapers. But with all the new, ugly skyscrapers under construction there, I am worried that the skyline could become a lot uglier. Here are some examples of some ugly buildings being built, I am giving my opinion of why each is ugly:.
that's cos glass window construction is tacky, unimaginative and monotonous.
the greatest architecture in nyc was the art deco period. empire state building, chrysler, etc..

Old 10-23-2015, 02:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
All I know is that I have often found myself hating new buildings in NYC and elsewhere only to find myself changing my mind and liking them years or decades later. I am also sure there were lots and lots of negative opinions on places like The Empire State Building and The Chrysler Building when they were first put up. I remember clearly how many( maybe most?) hated the World Trade Towers when they first went up.

Because of this I now try to give architecture a bit of time before I make a final judgement.
the empire state building and chyrsler building were not hated when construction went up is described in many documentaries and stories. they were seen as architectural wonders, and native new yorkers were in awe. every single rivet, piece of steel and limestone were installed by human workers, many who were killed in accidents.

today we live in a society of no aesthetic, kit construction, automated cranes, and prefab'ed welded components imported from china to..... save $$$.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:38 AM
PQM

93 posts, read 233,487 times
Default 432 Park in Numbers: New Renderings and Superlatives Will Blow You Away

Here's a cool look at 432 Park. Haven't decided if I like it yet.

[Size=5]432 Park in Numbers: New Renderings and Superlatives Will Blow You Away[/Size]
By Ondel Hylton
November 11, 2015
http://www.6sqft.com/432-park-in-numbers-new-renderings-and-superlatives-will-blow-you-away/

Quote:
Now that Macklowe Properties‘/CIM Group‘s 432 Park Avenue is nearing completion, with occupancy slated to begin in mid-2016 and 70 percent of units reportedly in contract, the development’s marketing and branding agency DBOX has released a bevy of never-before-seen images of our skyline’s newest icon. Being the tower of superlatives it is, it comes as no surprise that it boasts a marketing campaign to match. Employing sky-cams, drone photography, a million-dollar film, and breath-taking renderings and photography, 432 Park has perhaps the most elaborate promotional campaign ever conceived for a Manhattan condominium.

More info and images in the post here.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:36 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
111 West 57th street is the best god damn skyscraper going up right now, you guys are crazy. Its super tall and skinny, which visually should make it look even taller.
make it seem taller than it really is.. Height difference obvious.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times

Wow-that used to be such a great view of the NYC skyline. 432 Park looks like a freakishly tall prison, with those perfectly symmetrical and tiny windows-or one of those plastic grates used to catch draft beer. It seems like it shouldn't be that tall for how skinny it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City