Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,920,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
True, some of the most important works in the collection are more than 100 years old, like Van Goghs and Cezannes. It's a museum of modern art, not contemporary art.
The "modern" has something to do with mission. Modern in this sense is always current, whenever it is. In the 1920s when the museum was founded modern meant "right now."

Whereas academia designates "modern and contemporary" - usually.

Oldest work in MoMA is in the design collection, 1760s, oldest graphic would be in photography I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,723,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I am planning on going there this Sunday from a friend who is coming out of town. I haven't been there in sometime but I saw admission is 25 bucks and free on Friday (a day I won't be able to go). The 25 buck entry makes me cringe and I really rather not pay that much but my friend has been dying to go and I don't want to let her down.

Is there any other way I can get into MOMA for a lot cheaper? Its just hard for me to justify paying 25 bucks
They have free days (I forget which) for Bank of America cardholders.

Unfortunately, MoMA is not like the other museums that have a 'suggested donation'. If you're not a member, you have to pay to get in. It's completely worth it, though. (and don't eat at the restaurant there --- it's VERY expensive!)

Old 10-13-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
museums on us must have removed it , we always went to the cloisters with it .

yeah , i see they have moma's ps 1 on the city id card but not moma .

oh well at 25 bucks to get in they can forget about us going there .
The cloisters is part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, not MoMA. The only satellite I know of with MoMA is their movie theater in LIC (I think it's LIC; could be Astoria)

Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
MoMA is not included in the Bank of America free first weekend, and it's also not included in the benefits of the NYC ID card.
Did they end that? Last year before I got my MoMA membership, we went on the BoA free day

Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The cloisters is part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, not MoMA. The only satellite I know of with MoMA is their movie theater in LIC (I think it's LIC; could be Astoria)
MoMA P.S. 1 is a museum in LIC.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:54 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,038,199 times
Lital,

MOMA grants free admission to employees of a great many corporations who are generous with their sponsorship. If you or your friend work for one of these companies, nearly all banks qualify, then proof of employment gets two in for free.

That admission fee IS outrageous, especially since these collections were put together by huge exemptions from the estate tax due on art. In essence the great museums are all taxpayer supported and as such the citizens OWN these museums and all citizens should have free access to ALL their museums.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:55 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Did they end that?
Guess they did.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
They have free days (I forget which) for Bank of America cardholders.

Unfortunately, MoMA is not like the other museums that have a 'suggested donation'. If you're not a member, you have to pay to get in. It's completely worth it, though. (and don't eat at the restaurant there --- it's VERY expensive!)
Membership is very much worth it, many perks.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:33 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Not sure what you might mean by things going over to the Met - they are different museums. MoMA does not give things away older than 50 years. Where could you have gotten this idea ? Even I never heard that one.

Any case ... At MoMA, the Newmans and Pollocks are in the last galleries on the 5th floor, having been moved to make room for the major Picasso exhibition on the 4th - sculpture. Along with a lot of important art far older than fifty years.
It's obscure. Part of MOMA's mission was, and continues to be, to gather the art of its times (contemporary). It had more than it could handle in 1948, so sold pieces to the Metropolitan for ~$151,000., choosing from items more than 50 years old. However, this sell-off practice was halted in 1951. In 1952, MOMA established its permanent collection. Donations, buildings and storage places took off the pressure, too.

Wording in my post was a bit off. It isn't that MOMA today sells off everything older than 50 years. It was a one-time emergency that they resolved.

For purposes of the OP hosting an out-of-towner, knowing the visiting friend's thoughts might help. If friend wants to see some beautiful examples of what academics now call "Modern Art," including some great examples of the major NY Abstract Expressionists of the 1950's/60's, then the Metropolitan's modern offering might satisfy, with virtually no cost for the OP.

But if friend wants MOMA specifically, to see some specific artwork, a special exhibit, or be surprised by very contemporary offerings, then it's MOMA for bucks. Or, perhaps friend would change schedules to visit MOMA on Friday free evening.

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 10-14-2015 at 09:58 AM..

Old 10-14-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
It's obscure.
Not so much ...

It wasn't part of an emergency but the stipulations of a bequest, one of the founders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City