Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen an African American and Dominican in a romantic relationship before?
Yes 46 82.14%
No 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I was I'm dr two weeks ago. Everyone was nearly black or black. The girl was with her father is afro Dominican. Dr is very African and I visited boca , santo Domingo, Santiago and LA Vega.
Different than my experience. Most people looked mixed.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 AM

562 posts, read 463,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I personally don't care. But ever since they announced a couple of years ago that Ms Saldana was going to pray Nina Simone there has been lots of controversy.

But then again there was alot when Beyonce portrayed Etta James. She wasn't light enough, she wasn't fat enough, she can't sing as good as Etta James etc, etc. Even Etta James herself joined in and used the controversy to sell out some performances and joke about it on stage.

I'm sure Ms Simone's recordings will sell again and break records after the film is released.
There are plenty of black American actresses who are better suited to play Nina Simone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRX-8SXOs

Zoe doesn't appear to have a lot of range. Playing Nina Simone would require someone with a more powerful presence, like Viola Davis. In addition to having amazing acting skills, she also looks more like Nina Simone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcT213XYlA

Listen to the power in her words. This is the woman who should have been selected to play the legendary Nina Simone.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Just an aside here... I wonder why the 'big problem'? Zoe Saldana is CLEARLY black, doesn't matter if she is from DR. Sure, she doesn't share our AA heritage in regard to American history, but she is definitely black. I actually met her in Puerto Rico about 4 years ago when she was making a film with Idris Alba. The film stars /crew were staying at the same hotel where I was attending a conference.

I hate to use this as a description of Zoe Saldana (since I consider her just beautiful, although very thin), so please I hope no one takes offense. After an introduction, I gave her a hug and it was like holding 'baby bird bones' as I call it. I've known many dancers who have this body structure. But, back to my off topic observation - she is very dark. Very dark in complexion. Her features are also black. Why can she not play the part of Nina Simone if she can do justice to the character? Perhaps I don't know the argument for why she should not? I have no idea, nor do I care what she considers herself to 'be'. I hope that she considers herself to be an attractive, talented actress and a good person.

Just to clarify, an observation - next to her I would be considered the "not black" Dominicana. Don't hate me for saying this, but, here goes: a friend photographed Zoe and myself at that moment. The flash did not engage. There is no indication that there is anyone in the photo with me, just me. I've always regretted this as I am not able to share the moment with anyone, but was just reminded of it with this thread. I have noticed that she is 'white washed' in publicity that I see her in of late... No matter, I really like her work, so that's just an 'observation'. The only thing I found strange at that meeting was that when I mentioned to her that I enjoyed her in the film Constellation, she reacted as if she had never heard of that movie! I was confused and thought I had insulted her by mistakenly attributing the film to her. I felt so uncomfortable. But I had not made a mistake. Oh well.

I am not Dominican. I am AA of one of the many melanin levels that can be seen in the world, with whatever 'mixture' that I have. I know what that mixture is, but it is of no consequence here. I am uniquely myself.

This controversy will never end.

As far as the original OP's question, I have seen Dominican and AA relationships, yes, as well as myriad other combinations of relationships of the vastly different cultures/races on the planet.

I really like the 'dead beat dads' analogy.
Total non-issue for me. This always happens anytime there is a biopic. Latinos scream bloody murder too whenever someone who is not from the exact country of the person portrayed plays the part. Zoe has had the same struggles to stay viable other actresses of colors have had.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
To me that is silly. Denzel Washington played Malcolm X when he was a lot darker than Malcolm. So what?

There is nothing wrong with Zoe Saladana played Nina Simone. You do not have have to have the same exact skin complexion or the same nose to play someone. If it was a white actress playing whatever white role she would never face such criticism. Thank goodness Hollywood will ignore people on this or else film roles would become even more limiting.
Probably the guy who most looked like Malcom at the time was Mario Van Peebles, but for any one who saw that movie Denzel absolutely delivered a powerhouse performance something I doubt Van Peebles could have done.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
It's rare but not impossible, but most cultures like to stick with their own culture, because it is easier to communicate. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a majority of black/brown Dominicans in the DR than people like to speak about in America that never immigrate to the usa, because they save that for mostly lightskin Dominicans. If they are black or brown DR baseball players, then America will welcome them with lots of hugs and fake love.

Some people must not know that we have the same looking mix of people already native to the usa.
All you have to do is look around.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Different than my experience. Most people looked mixed.
Funny thing is when I checked into the DR. I passed through immigration as a Dominican national and not as a visitor. I walked the streets alone late at night no one bothered me. The People there thought I was Dominican or if not Venezuelan, since lots of Venezuelan migrants moved there recently. They told me in Spanish "welcome home senor". I only saw mixed folks in the Campo, but most Dominicans are far darker than me and I'm fairer skinned than most. I also saw lots of rasta people down there too. My friends are mixed though.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Zoe Saldana is not "very dark" but I would say she just meets the cutoff for being considered black

I didn't even know she was not "black". People ought to know if they're really black or not by now. No matter how light or foreign you are, you know the white folks still consider you a "ninja" anyway, so embrace it and learn your great, royal history and love yourself, regardless of the way they think about you.

They could never know us or understand us the way we do anyway, so forget about it.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
There are plenty of black American actresses who are better suited to play Nina Simone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRX-8SXOs

Zoe doesn't appear to have a lot of range. Playing Nina Simone would require someone with a more powerful presence, like Viola Davis. In addition to having amazing acting skills, she also looks more like Nina Simone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcT213XYlA

Listen to the power in her words. This is the woman who should have been selected to play the legendary Nina Simone.
You aren't the director of the film so your two cents don't count.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Total non-issue for me. This always happens anytime there is a biopic. Latinos scream bloody murder too whenever someone who is not from the exact country of the person portrayed plays the part. Zoe has had the same struggles to stay viable other actresses of colors have had.
All these people can do is scream they are nowhere near the people who make the casting decisions and they will rightfully be ignored.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:36 PM

725 posts, read 804,916 times
Most born in DR or with ancestors who lived in DR have mixed black genes or are fully black. So in the latter case it is impossible to distinguish by sight. In my experience some "Dominicans" don't know they are black and are prejudiced against blacks. Personally I don't care and I find it amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City