Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen an African American and Dominican in a romantic relationship before?
Yes 46 82.14%
No 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
There are certain races that I would never date under any circumstances ever (well, only one race but still). What's wrong with me wanting to find a nice lady who looks like Giselle Moya or Kat DeLuna?
What race would that be?

Old 10-14-2015, 03:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
True

I know that there are plenty of black Dominicans, but most Dominicans in New York are seen as "Spanish"

All the Dominicans I know personally, I never thought of them as black and never heard to anyone refer to them as being black
Not necessarily. There are a lot of mixed race Dominicans in New York, but some of Dominicans and Cubans here are as Black as West Africans. I teach ESL and I can't tell the difference between the Black Hispanics and the West Africans in my class.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:30 AM

288 posts, read 344,835 times
Quote:
What race would that be?
I wouldn't date or marry a woman who's of European descent.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not necessarily. There are a lot of mixed race Dominicans in New York, but some of Dominicans and Cubans here are as Black as West Africans. I teach ESL and I can't tell the difference between the Black Hispanics and the West Africans in my class.
I know there are Dominicans and Cubans who are black, I'm just saying that most of the ones I know personally would not be considered black

Quote:
I wouldn't date or marry a woman who's of European descent.
Some Dominicans are of nearly 100% European descent, though

And you wouldn't date a woman like Monica Bellucci? I find that kind of hard to believe

Old 10-14-2015, 01:22 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
I know there are Dominicans and Cubans who are black, I'm just saying that most of the ones I know personally would not be considered black

And you wouldn't date a woman like Monica Bellucci? I find that kind of hard to believe
Understood. And there's a few Dominicans that are probably 100% European. Someone's grandparents could have moved over from Europe 3 generations ago and not had any intermarriage with the majority population.

Towards mixed race Dominicans, considering they are rejected by the white majority and still have to live in neighborhoods with lots of Blacks, the society really does consider them Black or something close to it.

Along with other people of African descent, Dominicans go to crappy public schools that the best teachers refuse to teach at, are getting priced out of upper Manhattan, work in rock bottom jobs with low wages and no hope for advancement, etc. Oh they also get incarcerated in high rates. A few will move up socioeconomically (but who is the worthy poor is determined by people within the system).

There's a reason people often just group marginalized darker skinned people together as people of color or minorities. They are treated more or less the same. Well educated white kids moving in from the suburbs get to cherry pick good jobs here (benefits, ability to move up in the institution) while these Dominicans, African Americans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Colombians will all find themselves working at or near the minimum wage with no benefits, long hours, easily fired, put in temp positions, etc. The privileged group in this country is white (and maybe Asian these days to a degree) and if you aren't either of those two *********.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Aside from Monica Bellucci being old enough to be my mom, no I wouldn't date her or any other woman who's fully, or almost fully, European.

The overwhelming majority of Dominicans are mixed and look mixed.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Understood. And there's a few Dominicans that are probably 100% European. Someone's grandparents could have moved over from Europe 3 generations ago and not had any intermarriage with the majority population.

Towards mixed race Dominicans, considering they are rejected by the white majority and still have to live in neighborhoods with lots of Blacks, the society really does consider them Black or something close to it.

Along with other people of African descent, Dominicans go to crappy public schools that the best teachers refuse to teach at, are getting priced out of upper Manhattan, work in rock bottom jobs with low wages and no hope for advancement, etc. Oh they also get incarcerated in high rates. A few will move up socioeconomically (but who is the worthy poor is determined by people within the system).

There's a reason people often just group marginalized darker skinned people together as people of color or minorities. They are treated more or less the same. Well educated white kids moving in from the suburbs get to cherry pick good jobs here (benefits, ability to move up in the institution) while these Dominicans, African Americans, Jamaicans, Haitians, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Colombians will all find themselves working at or near the minimum wage with no benefits, long hours, easily fired, put in temp positions, etc. The privileged group in this country is white (and maybe Asian these days to a degree) and if you aren't either of those two *********.
I'm not saying Dominicans are accepted as white but I still think their situation is different than that of AAs. Although I would say Dominicans and Puerto Ricans probably have the most comparable experience to that of AAs in this country.

And I can't agree with you're third paragraph for a few reasons. Non Afro-Latino groups such as Colombians and Mexicans are not viewed the same as black people. There are plenty of white people who view Latinos negatively but at the same time they're not viewed as negatively on average as AAs, and white Americans are more accepting of Latinos on average, especially if they're whitewashed. And on a local level, non-Afro Latino neighborhoods in NYC do not have the same social ills as AA neighborhoods. I'm not talking down on AAs at all when I say this, but there seems to be much less crime in South American neighborhoods than AA or Puerto Rican neighborhoods (not that all of the latter two's neighborhoods are high crime). As far as income goes, some South American groups actually make as much or more than white Americans on average, going by household income. And Hispanic-Americans in general (with the possible exception of Puerto Ricans) don't seem to be stuck in generational poverty.

And even though Asian-Americans might not be viewed as negatively as other PoC in the US, that doesn't mean that they're "privileged" really. Their "model minority" status didn't come until at least the 60s, Anti-Asian sentiment was rampant before then and plenty of white people to this day view them negatively or at least have some sort of Anti-Asian sentiment. And it really depends on which Asian group, groups like Cambodians or Hmong are not as successful as Chinese-Americans and have an experience more comparable to that of Hispanics.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Aside from Monica Bellucci being old enough to be my mom, no I wouldn't date her or any other woman who's fully, or almost fully, European.

The overwhelming majority of Dominicans are mixed and look mixed.
Why is that? Do you believe that being with a white woman is bad for you, as a black man?

Old 10-14-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Why is that? Do you not believe that being with a white woman is bad for you, as a black man?
It's just my policy and personal preference not to be with European women. I just can't see myself getting that close to a European. I also can't see what we would have in common and how we would be able to relate to one another.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
It's just my policy and personal preference not to be with European women. I just can't see myself getting that close to a European. I also can't see what we would have in common and how we would be able to relate to one another.
oh okay

I understand what you're saying but I'm a white guy and I've gotten close with white women, Hispanic women, and black women. I think at the end of the day we're all human and most things important to relationships transcend race. But everyone is different of course and I can respect your different views on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City