Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever seen an African American and Dominican in a romantic relationship before?
Yes 46 82.14%
No 10 17.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Nah. I think it's a mind over matter thing. I am a single Nuyorican woman who makes over 100K. I started out in a housing project during the crack epidemic of the 80s, but received a STEM education in the city and was easily able to get a job that pays very well. I have no debt, no obligations, no financial problems. I'm literally sitting well - doing a Ph.D (that my job is paying for) in computer science. And guess what? I know plenty of African Americans who are like me - doing just as well, if not better than me.

Point is, if you really put your mind to it, you'll get what you want. If you're *that good*, race nor other problems will get you down. Sure, there are struggles, but at the end of the day, your determination will get you where you want to go!
And Sonia Sotomayor is on the Supreme Court and is Nuyorican went to Ivy League degrees and she was born in the housing projects. No one is saying social mobility is impossible for any racial/ethnic group.

Only that social mobility is a lot HARDER for some people from certain backgrounds.

No one ever said that no Blacks or Hispanics don't do well

However I did say that in any field that pays well Blacks or Hispanics are UNDERREPRESENTED by FAR and there are the statistics to prove it.

In order to move up in the society, education helps. But not everyone went to a good high school. Not everyone has the background to do well in college. And there are financial issues as well.

College must be paid for. Either you or your family have to pay for it, or you can get financial aid. A lot of poor people have applied to colleges and didn't get enough financial aid to completely sustain themselves. Some of them struggle to balance work and school and drop out. Many actually.

Now of course these are issues for poor whites as well. However, it just so happens that from the middle class upward you'll find a lot more whites and as noted they tend to have more family wealth and assets. That helps particularly in a day in age where for professional jobs one often must go to grad school.

So when I talk about social mobility issues, I am saying that the gateways to advance disproportionately screen out minorities. I'm not saying no non whites advance or that there are no wealthy non whites. I have a good education myself, and I work in education. However I realize we don't have a level playing field and it affects non whites disproportionately.

As for you're own situation, I'm glad your hard work has paid off and congratulations.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
@NYwriterdude, we shouldn't even bother with him anymore. Look at the OCT 2015 signup date and the blatant idiotic hate.
Oh I know. I just had fun making fun of him.

But despite the idiotic hate he knows I'm right and he knows others on this thread are white. If you have to say what percent you are white you are not white in this country and he knows very well that Dominicans have to live in the same neighborhoods with other Blacks (ditto other immigrants of varying degrees of African descent) because they sure can't afford the white neighborhoods or get the jobs that would allow them to move in those neighborhoods. Ditto for even Mexicans (one of the least African Hispanic groups, though they do have small amounts of African dna). Social mobility is hard in this country. It can happen, but it requires education and MONEY.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Oh I know. I just had fun making fun of him.

But despite the idiotic hate he knows I'm right and he knows others on this thread are white. If you have to say what percent you are white you are not white in this country and he knows very well that Dominicans have to live in the same neighborhoods with other Blacks (ditto other immigrants of varying degrees of African descent) because they sure can't afford the white neighborhoods or get the jobs that would allow them to move in those neighborhoods. Ditto for even Mexicans (one of the least African Hispanic groups, though they do have small amounts of African dna). Social mobility is hard in this country. It can happen, but it requires education and MONEY.
I know this is besides the point but I would say the majority of Mexicans in NYC do not live in black neighborhoods

Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 PM

288 posts, read 344,684 times
Quote:
Okay now I know you're not even Hispanic.

You're one of the never ending trolls who gets banned from this site, and who after getting banned just sets up a new profile.
Dude, quit feeding the trolls. Obviously he's an attention seeker who values negative attention over not receiving any attention at all. If you ignore him, he'll go away.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:40 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,302 times
Just to set the record straight, African Americans are usually at peace with their looks. In other words they like the way they look. They like to be photographed and to see photographs of other Black people. They also enjoy seeing themselves on film and in magazines. It does not matter to them if other peoples find them unattractive, they are conditioned from childhood that their looks are different, and not appreciated by others.

This concept seems to just become accepted by most of the Latin Blacks and Latins of all colors.

BTW I am glad that you clarified that your photos were of mixed race Dominicans, because I was thinking "those people look mixed race, maybe that is what they consider White."

Old 10-16-2015, 12:46 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
This is a hard concept for a lot of people from the Caribbean to understand but in the USA if you are of African Heritage people will call and consider you black. This isn't like brazil, DR, PR, ect. where Mixed people have a separate race category(I know it's extremely ignorant of the USA and extremely annoying but that is just the way it is up here). In Brazil I wouldn't be black in the DR I wouldn't be black but in the USA(for the most part) I'm black by societies standards.

btw Nina simone(one of the most famous African American singers) is being played by a dominican woman.
There is no separate race category for mixed race because the Slave masters were the first dead beat Dads in this country. In Latin American countries the child of a Slave master would be born free, and the child would be claimed. That is a big part of the difference in race perception between the 2 regions.

People are having a big problem with the Nina Simone portrayal. Nose prosthesis and all.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I've been reading what you have been writing and I actually think you are a tad bit delusional. If you don't think that the majority of Dominicans in New york City don't look black or at least PART black/mixed like me then I honestly don't know what to tell you lol. I'm mixed(Half Afro Brazilian half white) and everyone always thinks I'm dominican/Puerto Rican. I was walking with my two white friends through the bronx and we all thought everyone was black or at least part black. It wasn't until they were speaking spanish that we realized they were dominican. I'm sorry but most white new yorkers and even my puerto rican and definitely my Mexican American and black new york friends all consider dominicans to be black or of African Heritage .
This is a hard concept for a lot of people from the Caribbean to understand but in the USA if you are of African Heritage people will call and consider you black. This isn't like brazil, DR, PR, ect. where Mixed people have a separate race category(I know it's extremely ignorant of the USA and extremely annoying but that is just the way it is up here). In Brazil I wouldn't be black in the DR I wouldn't be black but in the USA(for the most part) I'm black by societies standards.

btw Nina simone(one of the most famous African American singers) is being played by a dominican woman.
I rarely hear anyone refer to Dominicans as being black in real life, in New York they're seen by most as "Spanish" in my experience unless they're as black looking as the average AA. The average Dominican I see is even less black looking than the average half white/half black person.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:39 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Quote:
The fear of poor immigrants with little to no chance of ever leaving the ghetto is that after bothering to come to the U.S. Is that they will be trapped in the hood. Sadly that is the reality and no amount of whitewashing will change the fact NYC Dominicans and other Caribbean immigrants struggle with poverty and lack of access to the same jobs as whites have. A certain someone can post pictures of whites in the Dominican Republic all week if he chooses. Nothing will change on that accord.
@NyWriterdude: Clearly you have touched a nerve with "Enriquillo" as all can see in his posts following this one by you. We know what this is about, don't we? Let him 'have at it'. He can't change what he is.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
There is no separate race category for mixed race because the Slave masters were the first dead beat Dads in this country. In Latin American countries the child of a Slave master would be born free, and the child would be claimed. That is a big part of the difference in race perception between the 2 regions.

People are having a big problem with the Nina Simone portrayal. Nose prosthesis and all.
Just an aside here... I wonder why the 'big problem'? Zoe Saldana is CLEARLY black, doesn't matter if she is from DR. Sure, she doesn't share our AA heritage in regard to American history, but she is definitely black. I actually met her in Puerto Rico about 4 years ago when she was making a film with Idris Alba. The film stars /crew were staying at the same hotel where I was attending a conference.

I hate to use this as a description of Zoe Saldana (since I consider her just beautiful, although very thin), so please I hope no one takes offense. After an introduction, I gave her a hug and it was like holding 'baby bird bones' as I call it. I've known many dancers who have this body structure. But, back to my off topic observation - she is very dark. Very dark in complexion. Her features are also black. Why can she not play the part of Nina Simone if she can do justice to the character? Perhaps I don't know the argument for why she should not? I have no idea, nor do I care what she considers herself to 'be'. I hope that she considers herself to be an attractive, talented actress and a good person.

Just to clarify, an observation - next to her I would be considered the "not black" Dominicana. Don't hate me for saying this, but, here goes: a friend photographed Zoe and myself at that moment. The flash did not engage. There is no indication that there is anyone in the photo with me, just me. I've always regretted this as I am not able to share the moment with anyone, but was just reminded of it with this thread. I have noticed that she is 'white washed' in publicity that I see her in of late... No matter, I really like her work, so that's just an 'observation'. The only thing I found strange at that meeting was that when I mentioned to her that I enjoyed her in the film Constellation, she reacted as if she had never heard of that movie! I was confused and thought I had insulted her by mistakenly attributing the film to her. I felt so uncomfortable. But I had not made a mistake. Oh well.

I am not Dominican. I am AA of one of the many melanin levels that can be seen in the world, with whatever 'mixture' that I have. I know what that mixture is, but it is of no consequence here. I am uniquely myself.

This controversy will never end.

As far as the original OP's question, I have seen Dominican and AA relationships, yes, as well as myriad other combinations of relationships of the vastly different cultures/races on the planet.

I really like the 'dead beat dads' analogy.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:56 PM

562 posts, read 463,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Just an aside here... I wonder why the 'big problem'? Zoe Saldana is CLEARLY black, doesn't matter if she is from DR. Sure, she doesn't share our AA heritage in regard to American history, but she is definitely black. I actually met her in Puerto Rico about 4 years ago when she was making a film with Idris Alba. The film stars /crew were staying at the same hotel where I was attending a conference.

I hate to use this as a description of Zoe Saldana (since I consider her just beautiful, although very thin), so please I hope no one takes offense. After an introduction, I gave her a hug and it was like holding 'baby bird bones' as I call it. I've known many dancers who have this body structure. But, back to my off topic observation - she is very dark. Very dark in complexion. Her features are also black. Why can she not play the part of Nina Simone if she can do justice to the character? Perhaps I don't know the argument for why she should not? I have no idea, nor do I care what she considers herself to 'be'. I hope that she considers herself to be an attractive, talented actress and a good person.

Just to clarify, an observation - next to her I would be considered the "not black" Dominicana. Don't hate me for saying this, but, here goes: a friend photographed Zoe and myself at that moment. The flash did not engage. There is no indication that there is anyone in the photo with me, just me. I've always regretted this as I am not able to share the moment with anyone, but was just reminded of it with this thread. I have noticed that she is 'white washed' in publicity that I see her in of late... No matter, I really like her work, so that's just an 'observation'. The only thing I found strange at that meeting was that when I mentioned to her that I enjoyed her in the film Constellation, she reacted as if she had never heard of that movie! I was confused and thought I had insulted her by mistakenly attributing the film to her. I felt so uncomfortable. But I had not made a mistake. Oh well.

I am not Dominican. I am AA of one of the many melanin levels that can be seen in the world, with whatever 'mixture' that I have. I know what that mixture is, but it is of no consequence here. I am uniquely myself.

This controversy will never end.

As far as the original OP's question, I have seen Dominican and AA relationships, yes, as well as myriad other combinations of relationships of the vastly different cultures/races on the planet.

I really like the 'dead beat dads' analogy.
Zoe Saldana is more or less brown in color. I don't consider her dark. In my personal opinion, she has the classic look of an Afro Latina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AERlRnQnBW0

Also, she is naturally thin. I'm naturally thin as well. We can't help the fact that we have small bones and a thin frame.

I think Zoe is a good actress, but she shouldn't play the role of Nina Simone. A better choice would be someone like India Arie, who is not only a musician, but an actress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City