Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM

80 posts, read 47,088 times

Advertisements

Well, if you ask this question in the NYC forum, you will get answers ranging from I couldn't live anywhere else to I hate this rat hole. I don't know why you continue to post here and not in the NJ/PA/Conn forums where they can actually tell you about the places that you want to move to. All cities have their good and bad points, you just have to find the one that's best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Best places to look is to follow the North East Corridor train stations. If you live in any state that has a station you have the advantage of hopping on a train and getting into NYC.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:06 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSol View Post
That's quite helpful.

I was young and it was on my bucket list to experience. I came for a very short time and was ready to turn around and KABOOM! Some NYer dude got me..6 years together..got knocked up..then married..now on a 2nd baby..Those NY guys!!!
If you're looking hard at NEPA, work in Scranton but don't live there. Very economically depressed, higher crime than most of the area, much older housing stock.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:43 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Best places to look is to follow the North East Corridor train stations. If you live in any state that has a station you have the advantage of hopping on a train and getting into NYC.
True, but don't forget that Amtrak's Empire Service trains (primarily serving Albany to NYC & points in between) and Keystone Service trains (Harrisburg, PA to NYC with points in between including Philadelphia) both have frequent trips to NYC. Additionally, these train lines tend to offer cheaper tickets compared to Northeast Corridor tickets. But along the NEC, there are still areas that one should consider that offer considerable COL & tax advantages such as Delaware. NEC trains are pricey for the obvious reason that it is a direct competitor to the airline shuttles in the Northeast & because the following wealthy, powerful cities are located along the corridor including: Boston, NYC, Philly, Washington DC.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
This thread has become one big projection of misery and it ain't coming from just me lol.

Like I said..to EACH their own. I truly don't care if people want to stay here and pay what they do to deal with all the inconveniences..Doesn't hurt me.

..and I've always believed if a person dislikes a place, as I do, then they just move..which is what I'm doing

Lots of defensive attitudes on this thread before I even started projecting how much I disliked the city (lol)

I'm from a REALLY nice place back west and even I don't care this much if someone says they don't like the city I live in.

It's a city..a collection of ****ing buildings and places..not my mother.

NO OFFENSE
No one is keeping you here.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Meh...I feel like all my advice is going to go to waste...

If you make so much money why are you looking for somewhere so cheap? 300K a year and you're looking at Northeast PA???? You can afford Westchester on that man...even if any of this is even true....the pe0ples' m0d has exposed yet another one....I'll let the forum do with you what they will....have fun guys, I'm giving you all a free night off on her expense:

Quote:
Hi guys,

Giving you all an example.

My husband and I met here over 7 years ago. I've been here for 8 years and at that time I was looking to leave NY and head back to California (where I am from). He knew that.

Anyhoo--guess these NY men are persistent and winners right? (lol) So here I am.

About 1-2 years into our relationship I made it CRYSTAL clear that if I had to stay much longer I was going to start resenting him because I hated it here and when we met I turned him down many times telling him I didn't want a relationship. Anyway, I made my decision..I am a big girl..I do love him. But I did NOT agree to stay here for life.

Well one thing after another happened and I went to school and so did he (on a scholarship) and he said we'd give CA a "try" (seriously?) after he was finished. That was 2.5 years ago..and, surprise, we are on our 2nd baby.

We haven't always had money..And his parents have helped us in terms of childcare (which I prefer over daycare) but now that money isn't an issue and I don't feel he can make any excuses, I want to move to California.

We agreed for years that we'd "take a turn" there..So really..it's "my turn" to live there 8 years (lol) and by that time I'm pretty sure my elementary school kids aren't going to want to come back.

I agreed to spend summer breaks and winter breaks out here to appease him (even though I could personally do without those).

No offense to anyone..I posted on the NY board on purpose because I know I'll receive the most raw advice (not just what I'd like to hear) but I am sick of NYC..sick to death. Tired of the crowds, filth, weather, sky high prices in return for having to compete for paid parking spaces and dealing with the NYPD and all that junk.

California is not cheap by any means but I feel like if we're going to have such a high cost of living, I am looking forward to the 70-degree, sunny, breezy days I used to take for granted..along with plenty of parking..nice people..good schools..clean beaches and plenty of free stuff to do and places to go.

Another big reason I am adamant about CA is bc we always said we'd live near ONE of our families. My parents, sibling and grandma live there. I want my kids to not only grow up somewhere family friendly but at least near one of our families.

I was "over" NYC YEARS ago..and I've always felt if a person doesn't like somewhere they shouldn't stay. They should just move..which is what I've wanted to do. This just is not the place I want to raise my kids and I don't find it family friendly.

Not to mention..his mom is way too involved in our marriage and family is all up in the biz..and while I love them I'd be lying my ass off saying I won't be looking forward to the extra space. I was raised very independently with lots of boundaries. His family and their culture doesn't work that way..and I just cannot get used to it..too close for comfort.

Alright..not to drag things on..but husband is nearing about 100K with overtime (60 hours per week) at his union job..It's in his field of passion and I've supported him in everything since the beginning. Can't toatlly say the same of him when it comes to me but whatever.

I am at 300k/year in business and the time is finally coming to buy a house and..I just don't want to settle here.

Here's my thing..My income is increasing rather rapidly as I reinvest and diversify my income. My idea and thinking is...why can't he just apply to a job over in California? If he really wants to keep a job so he can have his own income OR just manage some investments with me? We actually work well as a business team but men are anal about stability.

He has NO set reason to stay here other than hanging onto his job..which I told him...he can just as easily find a union job in his field in San Diego..and it's not like we'd be hurting for money if he even decided to just work from home with me.

I have PLENTY of reasons I've wanted to leave here..for YEARS..and I feel like I didn't work this hard in life to become successful and be stuck to a place I hate (which he is fully aware of--this is not new news) just because he has a 9-5.

I could see if I was a housewife or just making 50K a year but I make 3x more than him at this point. It took a while to get there but once you know what you're doing in business the money starts rushing in.

Obviously, we have a big savings and other stuff on TOP of our income so this move, IMHO, wouldn't be rash.

I want somewhere better to raise my kids. I miss MY family (now that I'm a mom)..I'm homesick..which is funny because I've NEVER missed anyone or been homesick in my life until I had my own kids..and I feel I've sacrificed a lot for him staying here YEARS past what I wanted to. (Sidenote: My schooling took a year..his took 4 total..so we weren't here due to me, per se)

Money isn't a real issue. I'm ready to raise my kids somewhere nicer and I think he settled in the fact he was comfortable with us being stuck here due to the events that took place..school..me getting pregnant back to back after he graduated (worked in his favor)..but now, not only is he doing well, but I'm doing very well as of the last 2 years and our debt is 100% paid off..our credit is excellent..our car is paid for...we have a healthy savings and a handful of small investments.

Would I be so wrong to put my foot down with him and say we're moving? It's much harder now that we're married and kids are involved. I feel like I've been fair saying we can stay here 2.5 months a year during summer breaks and come out for winter breaks as well. I could personally do without all that..I do not enjoy it here but I feel like that would be fair to him.

Thoughts? What would you do? (Assuming you aren't totally in love with NYC lol)

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-20-2015, 04:20 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh...I feel like all my advice is going to go to waste...

If you make so much money why are you looking for somewhere so cheap? 300K a year and you're looking at Northeast PA???? You can afford Westchester on that man...even if any of this is even true....the pe0ples' m0d has exposed yet another one....I'll let the forum do with you what they will....have fun guys, I'm giving you all a free night off on her expense:
$300K per annum in business; assuming the person who wrote this is a proprietor, perhaps that's before expenses and before Uncle Sam confiscates err takes his cut!

Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:

to EACH their own
Writer,
That's "to each HIS own." "Each" is a singular pronoun.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:09 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefir king View Post
writer,
that's "to each his own." "each" is a singular pronoun.
:d

Old 10-21-2015, 11:16 AM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
It is too bad that too many Americans inherited some outdated negative views on the south. Otherwise there are many lovely options in terms of a combination of affordability, high standard of modern living, hospitality, low crime, and warm weather (for those "cold" folks).

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-22-2015 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Orphaned quote removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City