Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 02:58 AM

153 posts, read 219,905 times

Advertisements

My NYer husband has come to a middle ground with me and enthusiastically agreed to move anywhere within 3 hours of NYC where the job offers the equivalent of what he's making now. Yippee! No offense to you die-hard "I Love NY" posse crew members but I am thrilled as I've had enough of this ish to last a lifetime ��

We have two small children so we are officially starting the process of checking out surrounding cities mostly within 2.5 hours of NYC. So far I've bumped into Albany and some surrounding cities of it within a 10-15 mile radius. Housing looks great.. Small family home for $70,000-$90,000? Yes please �� There are many that are less but usually need major renovations or are in the hood. I notice where they get you is property tax but the cost of living is still practically half of what it is here.

So my question is, what are some cities within 2-3 hours where you can get the most bang for your buck? House, safe neighborhood, etc.

I didn't ask about good public schools or it being family friendly because we are so deprived here in NYC that the only way is UP and better almost no matter where you go LOL

Biggest thing outside of all of this would be a decent paying job in that city as well. We don't expect to land a $90,000 job like you can make here in NYC as a blue collar worker .. But we'd be aiming for the equivalent of that city.. $60,000/year ...

I'm wondering with all the snow upstate which cities are most eager to hire willing jobseekers (lol) & also are relatively affordable ..or if there's something better in any city in any state within a 2-3 hour radius of NYC. I'm not terribly set on any place.. I just want out!

Please make some cities and redeeming qualities so I can start my search! ��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 05:24 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,871,967 times
I would think philadelphia, or Albany if you can get a government job.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:54 AM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times
typically salary's and real estate values track each other .

the problem is most of the big expensive items do not care where you live .

cars cost the same , repairs are still high , colleges can run about the same , medical insurance about the same , clothes about the same

we had a 2nd home in he poconos' and when all was said and done we figured out we could do with about 1/3 less income but salarys were 1/2 so it was a no go .

Old 10-14-2015, 06:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,364,397 times
I'd choose Philadelphia over any cities upstate any day. Upstate NY can be pretty awful for job seekers. Plus it's very easy to get to NYC from there.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:05 AM

372 posts, read 398,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
typically salary's and real estate values track each other .

the problem is most of the big expensive items do not care where you live .

cars cost the same , repairs are still high , colleges can run about the same , medical insurance about the same , clothes about the same

we had a 2nd home in he poconos' and when all was said and done we figured out we could do with about 1/3 less income but salarys were 1/2 so it was a no go .
The difference between colleges is night and day once you leave New York City. The typical in-state tuition rates for NY tend to be double or triple the typical in-state tuition rates most anywhere else, and I don't think you can really justify the price hike.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 AM

782 posts, read 859,996 times
Consider North East Philly, areas like Somerton/Bustleton ...its borderline suburban and quiet and very inexpensive, but about 20 mins from Philadelphia and about 1.5 hours from NYC.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:31 AM

I'm actually now looking at Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Jersey.. Any city within 2.5 hours where I can get the most bang for our buck.

I've lived in Erie before and the cost of living despite less pay is STILL way ahead of NYC. If you guys are going by the theory that stuff costs the same and income is lower so you don't get ahead then that means people outside of NYC aren't doing better than us and we know that's not true lol

Old 10-14-2015, 07:32 AM

BTW.. Philly makes me cringe .. Isn't it pretty bad there with crime and unemployment??

Old 10-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Consider North East Philly, areas like Somerton/Bustleton ...its borderline suburban and quiet and very inexpensive, but about 20 mins from Philadelphia and about 1.5 hours from NYC.
Checking it out! Anyone know how property tax compares over there?

Old 10-14-2015, 07:55 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,364,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaSol View Post
BTW.. Philly makes me cringe .. Isn't it pretty bad there with crime and unemployment??
Stay out of the dumpy parts and there's no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City