Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:38 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,340,168 times

Advertisements

People talk about NYC not being segregated and being so diverse and so on and its pretty evident that's not true when you take the subway.

Pay close attention to where people get off. It really is that simple.

For example, take the uptown D past 59th and you can literally count on your fingers the non number of Non-Hispanic/Black people getting off.

Conversely the same thing holds for the uptown 4 except that holds true past the 86th St. stop. Interestingly enough, the Bronx 4 has more Black riders on it then the Bronx D (which has more Hispanic). Anybody know why since they literally run parallel a few blocks apart in most places in the Bronx.

Take the downtown 2 past Atlantic Ave and see how many White/Asian folks you see.

Same goes for almost every single Subway line.
Are people just ignorant?

Last edited by wawaweewa; 10-17-2015 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 02:00 PM

186 posts, read 219,228 times
Take the 5 train from Brooklyn to Bronx and you see after 86th street to the bronx, all Caucasians exit and mostly black and Hispanics left.

Basically they are in denial because it fits whatever narrative they want to believe about the city.

The segregation however I think is economic segregation, the money stays closer to Manhattan and the poor surrounds the island in the other boroughs.

As of late though the money has been pushing out to the outer boroughs though so that narrative is slowly changing.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:02 PM

667 posts, read 937,333 times
It's just the beginning, due to the Immigration Act of 1965 the entirely U.S. will looks like NYC's subway in thirty years.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:04 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,841,337 times
Many are also middle class and home owners, every one that lives further away from the Manhattan core is not poor.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,403,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
People talk about NYC not being segregated and being so diverse and so on and its pretty evident that's not true when you take the subway.

For example, take the uptown D past 59th and you can literally count on your fingers the non number of Non-Hispanic/Black people getting off.

Conversely the same thing holds for the uptown 4 except that holds true past the 86th St. stop. Interestingly enough, the Bronx 4 has more Black riders on it then the Bronx D (which has more Hispanic). Anybody know why since they literally run parallel a few blocks apart in most places in the Bronx.

Take the downtown 2 past Atlantic Ave and see how many White/Asian folks you see.

Same goes for almost every single Subway line.
Are people just ignorant?
First of all, an area doesn't require white people for it to be diverse

Second, there are many places you can take the subway where the train cars can be very diverse, and I'm not just talking about Lower/Midtown Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn. I take the F train fairly often (I get off or on at the Church Ave stop) and I see many whites, Latinos, Asians, blacks, Arabs, etc.

The same does not for every subway line, you seem a little out of touch

Old 10-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
First of all, an area doesn't require white people for it to be diverse

Second, there are many places you can take the subway where the train cars can be very diverse, and I'm not just talking about Lower/Midtown Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn. I take the F train fairly often (I get off or on at the Church Ave stop) and I see many whites, Latinos, Asians, blacks, Arabs, etc.

The same does not for every subway line, you seem a little out of touch
I take the F train everyday as well. I have taken it for more than 5 years running now.

What do all of the above have in common? They're immigrants. Do you see Park Slope types getting off past Church? As for whites, most of them are the Orthodox Jews on the F past Church Ave.

Your definition of diversity is strange. It's simply having people of different colors all in one place and disregarding everything else? It's a very simplistic view of diversity.

Btw, they're not Arabs. There's a heavy Southeast Asian (Bangladeshi and Pakistani) population around that area. Do you think they intermingle with the Asians and Hispanics? Or the Hispanics mingle with the Asians? Or the orthodox Jews with any of the preceding groups?

The fact that you called them Arabs probably because you've seen the women where the garb shows that you don't know much past seeing 2+skin shades and thinking that's diversity.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:31 PM

33,527 posts, read 46,891,817 times
Back in the day, Rockaway Boulevard on the A train was where all the white people got off and the black people got on.....nowadays not so much.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-17-2015, 04:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,403,128 times
Quote:
I take the F train everyday as well. I have taken it for more than 5 years running now.

What do all of the above have in common? They're immigrants. Do you see Park Slope types getting off past Church? As for whites, most of them are the Orthodox Jews on the F past Church Ave.

Your definition of diversity is strange. It's simply having people of different colors all in one place and disregarding everything else? It's a very simplistic view of diversity.

Btw, they're not Arabs. There's a heavy Southeast Asian (Bangladeshi and Pakistani) population around that area. Do you think they intermingle with the Asians and Hispanics? Or the Hispanics mingle with the Asians? Or the orthodox Jews with any of the preceding groups?

The fact that you called them Arabs probably because you've seen the women where the garb shows that you don't know much past seeing 2+skin shades and thinking that's diversity.
There are plenty of Eastern Europeans and probably some "mainstream" whites too who get off at or further South than Church Avenue. Are you implying that someone doesn't really count as white unless they're the "Park Slope" type?

How is my definition of diversity strange? My grandmother's neighborhood, and even the building she live in, has many different ethnic groups present . Even if they keep to themselves mostly, it's still a diverse neighborhood.

Yes there are a lot of Bangladeshis and Pakistanis, and no I did not confuse them for Arabs. And they're considered "South Asian", not "Southeast Asian".

Immigrants in general don't really intermingle with each other but their US born children often do

Old 10-17-2015, 07:00 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,612,913 times
Quote:

Conversely the same thing holds for the uptown 4 except that holds true past the 86th St. stop.
Try sitting in the front car of the 4 going north if you want to see more white people, particularly a little before rush hour. Don't bet on the white guys in work clothes getting off at 86th.

Racial segregation here at least allows us a better chance of getting a seat on the train. Anyone who's been here long enough can tell who is more likely to get off where. But people do defy expectations sometimes and literally keep us on our feet.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Try sitting in the front car of the 4 going north if you want to see more white people, particularly a little before rush hour. Don't bet on the white guys in work clothes getting off at 86th.

Racial segregation here at least allows us a better chance of getting a seat on the train. Anyone who's been here long enough can tell who is more likely to get off where. But people do defy expectations sometimes and literally keep us on our feet.
I didn't meant i imply that there were no white people at all. In fact, I'm one of them past 86th.
As a percentage though, it's so minuscule as to be insignificant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City