Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:27 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again you have the Third, Second and First Avenue buses which many persons make good use. Especially now that the Select Service is on the last two which makes pretty good time either way. Then of course the SAS will be open soon which is going to really cause that area to take off more than it is already.

Went to get gas at 96th and First last night and when coming back waiting at the light on Second and 96th you saw a steady stream of persons (mostly white) heading north carrying groceries/shopping and whatever going towards 97th, that means they live up that way so must not find lack of transportation a problem.

A co-worker lives around 105th and First reporting no problems and says the area is becoming very "hot". She kept seeing that Latino news reporter from ABC up there all last summer in restaurants and on the streets.
Bingo. But in the mean time as you noted there are buses and these are YOUNG people who can EASILY WALK over a few blocks to Lexington.

You see a lot of buildings under renovation in that part of East Harlem, some new buildings that were built on empty parking lots and of older buildings there were some tear downs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:03 AM

15 posts, read 13,921 times
I don't know if I'm going to sign any lease longer than 12 mos. It's great that the area is up and coming but I'm not committed to staying there long term. My first job out of school, I lived in the West Loop of Chicago. It was safe but it had some character. More like a very big Meatlacking District than anything in Brooklyn... At Chicago prices. That's what I felt I saw in this area. Did I see the PJs ?Yes, but I grew up in the Bronx and know that even PJs live on a safety spectrum. It sounds like I found a nice apartment in a truly horrible and very unsafe neighborhood. I think I'll talk to my roommates about forgoing the signing on Monday.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbert View Post
I don't know if I'm going to sign any lease longer than 12 mos. It's great that the area is up and coming but I'm not committed to staying there long term. My first job out of school, I lived in the West Loop of Chicago. It was safe but it had some character. More like a very big Meatlacking District than anything in Brooklyn... At Chicago prices. That's what I felt I saw in this area. Did I see the PJs ?Yes, but I grew up in the Bronx and know that even PJs live on a safety spectrum. It sounds like I found a nice apartment in a truly horrible and very unsafe neighborhood. I think I'll talk to my roommates about forgoing the signing on Monday.
A very unsafe neighborhood?

You can't be from the Bronx and saying that.

The other areas posters mentioned (LIC and West Harlem) have their projects as well.

If you're going to be this scared you won't find any place to stay.

And I'm not suggesting you sign this lease. That decision is up to you and your roommates. But if you let random posts on the internet scare you out of a housing situation that doesn't say a lot about your ability to move forward.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:37 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A very unsafe neighborhood?

You can't be from the Bronx and saying that.

The other areas posters mentioned (LIC and West Harlem) have their projects as well.

If you're going to be this scared you won't find any place to stay.

And I'm not suggesting you sign this lease. That decision is up to you and your roommates. But if you let random posts on the internet scare you out of a housing situation that doesn't say a lot about your ability to move forward.

Right. Especially since at least some of the posters do not even live here. In the actual sense, as is find themselves as bodies in a specific geographic location. Imagine.

You can always tell, small mistakes - or big ones, for that matter.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Nywriterdude. Your right about letting posts influence me. But there literally has been nothing positive said about that area of East Harlem on this thread, on a forum that's typically very balanced when it reviews areas out of the mainstream. There was a lot that I liked about the area, but also a lot I don't know. I'm going to be coming home late most nights in business attire, something I never had to do in the Bronx. I thought that East Harlem south of 116th was ok, even a hidden gem. But it sounds like it's all together a no go for those who can avoid it.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:52 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Nywriterdude. Your right about letting posts influence me. But there literally has been nothing positive said about that area of East Harlem on this thread, on a forum that's typically very balanced when it reviews areas out of the mainstream. There was a lot that I liked about the area, but also a lot I don't know. I'm going to be coming home late most nights in business attire, something I never had to do in the Bronx. I thought that East Harlem south of 116th was ok, even a hidden gem. But it sounds like it's all together a no go for those who can avoid it.
That's really not true

Old 10-24-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Dude this forum can be totally negative and there are a lot of haters here.

It doesn't sound like you have another place lined up and you have to take into consideration your roommates as well. And you let strangers make the decision for you on whether to move into a place you can afford?

I had a roommate on 100th street and he came home in business attire all the time. So did a neighbor in the building who is a lawyer. Nothing happened to them. That doesn't necessarily mean you should or shouldn't move into this area, but to let random comments cancel a pending deal you had for a place just reeks of you being inept.

You've got quite a bit of growing up to do before you can handle yourself.

The people who told you not to take this place aren't going to be with you when you have to get another place and if you run by that by this forum your new place will have it's share of detractors as well. In the meantime your indecision will begin to annoy your roommates. Which is really why you posted here, you were being indecisive and anxious about a major adult decision.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I believe a cop was just shot in killed in that area after responding to someone who got their bike taken
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude this forum can be totally negative and there are a lot of haters here.

It doesn't sound like you have another place lined up and you have to take into consideration your roommates as well. And you let strangers make the decision for you on whether to move into a place you can afford?

I had a roommate on 100th street and he came home in business attire all the time. So did a neighbor in the building who is a lawyer. Nothing happened to them. That doesn't necessarily mean you should or shouldn't move into this area, but to let random comments cancel a pending deal you had for a place just reeks of you being inept.

You've got quite a bit of growing up to do before you can handle yourself.

The people who told you not to take this place aren't going to be with you when you have to get another place and if you run by that by this forum your new place will have it's share of detractors as well. In the meantime your indecision will begin to annoy your roommates. Which is really why you posted here, you were being indecisive and anxious about a major adult decision.
I don't know if my response called for that much frustration. It's also interesting that I hear from voices defending the area just as I begin agreeing with the detractors.

Look, this area is new to me and when I found it and looped in my roommates, I had to assuage their fears. I posted the question initially to get a sense for things to do in that area and secondarily to confirm for myself what I'd been saying to them: that it's safer than people give it credit, particularly that far south in East Harlem. And that's what people do on these forums, ask questions in what should be a safe and constructive space.

I was just surprised by the outpouring of comments concerning the lack of safety. So much so that I wondered, out loud on this forum, whether my original assumptions about the area were off base.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:14 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Is E 97th st basically the UES at this point?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:31 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
I don't know if my response called for that much frustration. It's also interesting that I hear from voices defending the area just as I begin agreeing with the detractors.

Look, this area is new to me and when I found it and looped in my roommates, I had to assuage their fears. I posted the question initially to get a sense for things to do in that area and secondarily to confirm for myself what I'd been saying to them: that it's safer than people give it credit, particularly that far south in East Harlem. And that's what people do on these forums, ask questions in what should be a safe and constructive space.

I was just surprised by the outpouring of comments concerning the lack of safety. So much so that I wondered, out loud on this forum, whether my original assumptions about the area were off base.
Couldn't recall the name of the ABC news reporter spotted in that part of East Harlem so asked my girl; she said it was Gio Binetz (sp?) hanging out with what we now know was his then BF but now fiancé. She had a thing for the guy so was getting ready to bust a move until people in her group told her what time it was.

Hardly think someone like that would be hanging out in a bad area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City