Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:57 AM

20 posts, read 27,423 times

Advertisements

I'll be starting my Ph.D at Columbia in a few months and would love some advice. I suppose I can't avoid being a gentrifier but I can avoid being a disrespectful one. I guess I'd just some thoughts on what not to do - how can I minimize the hurt I do to long term residents? What things annoy the hell out of seasoned NYers? (i.e. blocking the escalator coming out of the subway). Any tips on living with dogs in NYC?

I'd also love some help on where to live. I'll be looking for roommates but just don't know where to start. My budget is 1000$/month for a room. I have a 20 pound extremely well behaved dog that is used to living in urban spaces. I enjoy cooking, distance running, and talking critical theory and strategies for justice movements. I play the cello and am involved in artist, LGBT, and mixed race communities where I live now. I speak Spanish and Portuguese. I would like to live in a place that has an urban feel, so no far outer boroughs like southern Brooklyn, but I have no problem at all with living in an outer borough as long as it still feels urban. I would prefer somewhere with a less than 45 minute commute to Columbia and if it were near a park, my dog would be really appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcfas View Post
I'll be starting my Ph.D at Columbia in a few months and would love some advice. I suppose I can't avoid being a gentrifier but I can avoid being a disrespectful one. I guess I'd just some thoughts on what not to do - how can I minimize the hurt I do to long term residents? What things annoy the hell out of seasoned NYers? (i.e. blocking the escalator coming out of the subway). Any tips on living with dogs in NYC?

I'd also love some help on where to live. I'll be looking for roommates but just don't know where to start. My budget is 1000$/month for a room. I have a 20 pound extremely well behaved dog that is used to living in urban spaces. I enjoy cooking, distance running, and talking critical theory and strategies for justice movements. I play the cello and am involved in artist, LGBT, and mixed race communities where I live now. I would like to live in a place that has an urban feel, so no far outer boroughs like southern Brooklyn, but I have no problem at all with living in an outer borough as long as it still feels urban. I would prefer somewhere with a less than 45 minute commute to Columbia and if it were near a park, my dog would be really appreciative.
Grand Concourse Area, near Yankee Stadium.

My fave hood in NYC. For a park, you have Franz Sigel Park, which straddles the ridge. It was shelled once upon a time by the Brits, cause our side was using it as an outlook.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
You will fit right in.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:25 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,917 times
From the title of the thread I wasn't sure if you are gay or your dog is gay.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
From the title of the thread I wasn't sure if you are gay or your dog is gay.
We both are

Old 10-23-2015, 11:41 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Stay in upper Manhattan. Columbia should have info site for people looking for roommates. Depending on where you live there is Central Park, Riverside Park, St. Nicholas Park, Ft Tryon, the Cloisters, plenty of park space for dog owners.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcfas View Post
We both are
I would love to meet and check out how a gay dog looks like once you get here... But with that budget, you will have a hard time in finding a "desirable" place to accommodate both you and your pal meeting your expectations. Many rental places will not take in a 20 pound dog, gay or not.

Last edited by leoliu; 10-23-2015 at 11:59 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 12:06 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
I agree that you will have a difficult time finding a room for 1K that also accommodates a dog. It's like having another roommate in some respects.

Don't worry about the gentrification bit. This is the U.S. and everyone has a right to live and shop wherever they can afford. Just treat people with respect and leave it at that.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I would love to meet and check out how a gay dog looks like once you get here... But with that budget, you will have a hard time in finding a "desirable" place to accommodate both you and your pal meeting your expectations. Many rental places will not take in a 20 pound dog, gay or not.

This is my gay dog. If you see us around come December, say hello. We are determined!

Old 10-23-2015, 01:52 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I agree that you will have a difficult time finding a room for 1K that also accommodates a dog. It's like having another roommate in some respects.

Don't worry about the gentrification bit. This is the U.S. and everyone has a right to live and shop wherever they can afford. Just treat people with respect and leave it at that.
These things will not be much of an issue in upper Manhattan as long as roommates are agreeable with the dog. This dog looks like he'll melt the coldest heart.

Upper Manhattan has been gentrified for the last 10 years at least, but really before that. That is also a non issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City