Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 12:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSAVN View Post
I was under the impression all I needed was the permit and then I can do the CDL through them once the medical and everything was complete.
You can, that's how I did it and it worked out for me, but depending on timing and availability of their CDL course in relation to start of the class your scheduled to be in, you could get skipped over if you haven't completed CDL training, safest bet is to complete it on your own... But the DSNY class is excellent if your willing to take that chance... I went trough DSNY and don't regret it, I felt super confident going into the road test, and it was a great price for a full 40 hours of training... Gotta decide what's best for you, even though it worked out for me timing wise, I already advise to have the license on hand before they call you.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:34 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,077 times
Quote:
I was under the impression all I needed was the permit and then I can do the CDL through them once the medical and everything was complete.
Mike explained it well enough above but I want to add to clear up a misconception I see many having. When it gets close to your number and you get a medical appointment, dsny will give you the chance to sign up for a week long training class with them (Monday to Friday 6-2) plus one day the following week for the test BBBBBUUUUUUTTTTTT you're not hired at that point. Many seem to think dsny training you means they'll hire you with just a permit. That's a negative. You have to take a week off of your job to come train and if you get a cdl and eventually get hired they'll take a small amount out each paycheck until it's paid off

Old 03-03-2016, 01:35 PM

512 posts, read 765,596 times
Quote:
that is correct....but it may ********* in terms of getting passed up for a class...which in turn hurts seniority

Old 03-03-2016, 04:02 PM

327 posts, read 469,573 times
I think you're better getting your permit & going through DSNY and learning on our equipment, but to each their own.
Missing a July class to get put in August class isn't the end of the world, but missing that October/November class to wait for a July class can be pain, however at least you won't be bottom guy throughout the winter lol

No harm in getting it on your own though and guaranteeing yourself that the CDL won't be an issue when you get called.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:49 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post
I think you're better getting your permit & going through DSNY and learning on our equipment, but to each their own.
Missing a July class to get put in August class isn't the end of the world, but missing that October/November class to wait for a July class can be pain, however at least you won't be bottom guy throughout the winter lol

No harm in getting it on your own though and guaranteeing yourself that the CDL won't be an issue when you get called.
Tell that to the guys who missed the class right before the 6063 hiring freeze, and waited nearly 3 years for the next class... My opinion, don't risk it

Old 03-04-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post

You say that until you get put in a garage with 4 guys from the previous class you should have had beat that now have you beat

Old 03-04-2016, 07:26 AM

6 posts, read 9,045 times
I wanted to wait for my medical then take a CDL class. Is there going to be enough time to do the class between my medical and the hiring class or is there really no way to tell?

I'm in the 400's so I would assume I am going to be some where in the fall but I could obviously be dead wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about

If DSNY does offer a week course I have no problem with taking a vacation and doing it through them.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:45 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
Quote:
I wanted to wait for my medical then take a CDL class. Is there going to be enough time to do the class between my medical and the hiring class or is there really no way to tell?

I'm in the 400's so I would assume I am going to be some where in the fall but I could obviously be dead wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about

If DSNY does offer a week course I have no problem with taking a vacation and doing it through them.
You are one of those guys that just doesn't listen. Do it your way and when you get on and your on baskets getting dicked around while the guys right above you are having a cake night, don't cry. Never pass on seniority. Even 1 spot can save your ass from a sh*tstorm. Get the damn CDL

Old 03-04-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:

It's like this. They'll only do about 40 students per week and you're going to suddenly have hundreds calling so people miss out on a class because it takes them 5 weeks to get into the class then the week plus another week for the test.

I'm not sure if they changed it but it used to be that you could register for fbf class as soon as you got your date to do the medical. So call immediately...like before you even leave the pre orientation. If they give you a 5 minute break let's say, call then

Old 03-04-2016, 08:32 AM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
You are one of those guys that just doesn't listen. Do it your way and when you get on and your on baskets getting dicked around while the guys right above you are having a cake night, don't cry. Never pass on seniority. Even 1 spot can save your ass from a sh*tstorm. Get the damn CDL

Hahaha cake night is the best.

Most people who come here asking for advice get a detailed informative answer, but it seems some of them don't like what we tell them because it might actually make them get off their couch and go do something. So they just ignore the advice or twist it to fit their agenda.

So for everyone who doesn't have their CDL license yet and plan on waiting until the last second possible to get it keep it up. I'm sure the guy with a higher list number, but who actually got his cdl because he actually wants this job will thank you and then eventually after you both get hired they'll bump you to midnight baskets, or the flusher with a plow on the front in a 30" snow storm, or that transport job to Long Island during rush hour etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City