Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 03:04 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,394,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
Second question, when the time comes, which is the best medical coverage to go for? I've tried looking all over but can't seem to find a listing of available options.

EDIT: Is this the correct medical coverage info page for Sanitation? health-choosing-a-health-plan

Most guys choose ghi or hip

Guess what...both of those are actually run by the same company....emblem health. You got doctors? Find out what insurance they accept and choose that

Old 04-07-2016, 03:13 PM

442 posts, read 813,653 times
Doesn't hip have a co pay now?

Old 04-07-2016, 04:11 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
This is the part where for the hundred billionth time I want to go on record as stating that I have absolutely no clue how the ss offset is legal.

It's disgusting and evil
The offset which is equal to 1/2 of the Social Security collected in the prior example is because in addition to a worker paying into SS, the employer also has to pay the other half of SS which is an amount equal to what an employee pays in. The amount is about 15% (7.5%, 7.5%) so it is only fair (not evil) that an employer is allowed to more or less get a return on the SS it paid in for an employee. In the case of the DSNY pension: It is the other 1/2 of SS once the employee starts collecting it.

This is eight grade math and comprehension.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
The offset which is equal to 1/2 of the Social Security collected in the prior example is because in addition to a worker paying into SS, the employer also has to pay the other half of SS which is an amount equal to what an employee pays in. The amount is about 15% (7.5%, 7.5%) so it is only fair (not evil) that an employer is allowed to more or less get a return on the SS it paid in for an employee. In the case of the DSNY pension: It is the other 1/2 of SS once the employee starts collecting it.

This is eight grade math and comprehension.

Pay 6.2%....which is all a deductible income tax expense....Then take 50% later....so now ss exists to give companies return on their investments that were supposed to allow people to retire?

Old 04-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Pay 6.2%....which is all a deductible income tax expense....Then take 50% later....so now ss exists to give companies return on their investments that were supposed to allow people to retire?
The pension money is from a city/DSNY fund.

The SS money is federal.

I think it all comes down to the city wanting some form of return on the half of an employee's SS that the city is required to pay to the federal government.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 PM

Better than 50/50 chance that social security stuff will be removed by the time tier 6 retires. Long time between now and then anyway.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
The pension money is from a city/DSNY fund.

The SS money is federal.

I think it all comes down to the city wanting some form of return on the half of an employee's SS that the city is required to pay to the federal government.
Yeah but we pay into our own pensions...city invests that money and currently is making damn near a billion in profits. They had to profit off social security too?

Old 04-07-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah but we pay into our own pensions...city invests that money and currently is making damn near a billion in profits. They had to profit off social security too?
I still don't understand how a city worker could pay into their own pension and then not have a fixed amount to draw from (in an account) when they retire. How is it even mathematically possible to 'pay in' but then have the amount that is paid out be equal to the amount of years you live once retired. Like being able to collect the pension for 25 or 30 years after working for 20 years.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:54 PM

The city assumes a 5.4-5.7% return on the pension fund, or thereabouts, I forget the exact number. They got close to that number but they were still a couple tenths of a percent short the last year I checked, so I wouldn't exactly say they turn a profit on it. In the long run it will be insolvent at some point in the very distant future at this rate.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcwithacee View Post
The city assumes a 5.4-5.7% return on the pension fund, or thereabouts, I forget the exact number. They got close to that number but they were still a couple tenths of a percent short the last year I checked, so I wouldn't exactly say they turn a profit on it. In the long run it will be insolvent at some point in the very distant future at this rate.
Nah they said they were making a profit for years. They also have everyone that dies, works until they're a billion years old etc etc so those entire pensions become pure profit for the city

Then even as you're drawing from your pension the rest is still there earning the city interest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City