Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 03:29 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrl1967 View Post
What defines a good partner ?
My best partners were guys you get along with, can joke, laugh, makes the best out of a crap situation... Knows how to work, drive etc... Is on he same page as you, good partners develop a good rhythm together...

Bad partner is slow, complains about everything, tries to avoid work, is weird/smelly, not on the same page on you, can't drive lol basically the opposites

When I used to work behind the truck I would usually work with the same guy when we could, we had a great days man, even at night chopping ice covered fire hydrants for 12 hours in 3 degree weather we would be laughing and having a good night... Then I've worked with guys on beautiful spring days on good routes and wanted to punch them in the mouth...

Don't be the guy other guys want to punch in the mouth

Trust me you'll know, new guys in my old garage were getting transfer slips taped to their lockers

Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 AM

733 posts, read 724,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
My best partners were guys you get along with, can joke, laugh, makes the best out of a crap situation... Knows how to work, drive etc... Is on he same page as you, good partners develop a good rhythm together...

Bad partner is slow, complains about everything, tries to avoid work, is weird/smelly, not on the same page on you, can't drive lol basically the opposites

When I used to work behind the truck I would usually work with the same guy when we could, we had a great days man, even at night chopping ice covered fire hydrants for 12 hours in 3 degree weather we would be laughing and having a good night... Then I've worked with guys on beautiful spring days on good routes and wanted to punch them in the mouth...

Don't be the guy other guys want to punch in the mouth

Trust me you'll know, new guys in my old garage were getting transfer slips taped to their lockers
Lol thanks mikfleye

Old 05-19-2016, 04:13 AM

529 posts, read 726,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
DO tell them everything about background/criminal history etc.

DONT tell them anything pertaining to medical. (Unless you want to instantly disqualify yourself)

When I went on the paperwork when it ask if you've ever broken any bones, I answered yes and wrote that I had broken my hand in 2009, 4 full years before I was in processing. My hand is absolutely fine.
I had to go get second x rays and my processing was put on hold due to it...
I said tell them everything because he clearly said he read thru the forum.... But I guess skipped over the 100 posts that said " let them find what's wrong with you keep your mouth shut during the medical"

Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,393,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMoney View Post
To all the guys on the jobs, Im curious. After reading all the forums about processing. It's seem that the general consensus is that be completely honest on your background and paperwork but don't volunteer information at the medical. Leave it to them to find out something wrong with you. They can fired you the day before your probation ends is what I read on the exam 6063 because your background and paperwork is messed up but I've never heard anything about getting terminated for medical issues or not disclosing. Does DSNY not get into your medical like NYPD/FDNY does, or is it more lenient. I'm pretty sure alot of other people here are probably wondering the same thing. Be completely honest and risk medical review and DQed for the smallest reason or keep it to yourself and let them find out what's wrong with you and risk being fired. Thanks for any response.

Son I done said a billion times don't tell them a damn thing about your medical history...You make me say it again I'll come over there....don't you be making me come up over there.

The only time your medical history is going to come up for review is if you try to sue the city for an injury. Even then your lawyer is going to say "but you declared him fit to work"

If you volunteer and they dq you, then it's on you if you're injured later

But by all means...You can be that guy that volunteers every cold you've had since birth. But I wouldn't recommend it lol

Old 05-19-2016, 07:27 AM

288 posts, read 469,841 times
Speaking of good/bad partners or even an issue with a co worker at your garage... have things ever got settled with 2 pairs of everlast gloves inside the garage? Usually I hear these stories at rikers.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:32 AM

733 posts, read 724,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactplayer View Post
Speaking of good/bad partners or even an issue with a co worker at your garage... have things ever got settled with 2 pairs of everlast gloves inside the garage? Usually I hear these stories at rikers.
Like 200 pages back ... If you that guy **** the gloves if you in the wrong garage you getting ****ed up .. You transferring from doc ?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM

288 posts, read 469,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrl1967 View Post
Like 200 pages back ... If you that guy **** the gloves if you in the wrong garage you getting ****ed up .. You transferring from doc ?
Im almost done with the hiring process for doc..hoping to make the June academy..but once I get called for sanitation next year I'm definitely transferring from doc. Gonna take advantage and work those overtime hours before I switch over.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 AM

91 posts, read 115,979 times
I just wanna take the time to thank all you kind San-men who leave/forget your gloves in the truck.. They come in real handy when I go outta town and forget to bring my own.. I'd rather use used gloves than no gloves at all lol

Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactplayer View Post
Im almost done with the hiring process for doc..hoping to make the June academy..but once I get called for sanitation next year I'm definitely transferring from doc. Gonna take advantage and work those overtime hours before I switch over.
Out of curiousity, what's making you choose dsny over doc, especially with a top pay of 95k? I have a friend that's going for the 6/29 class, he's not even thinking about dsny anymore. What factors did you consider?

I'm on the list for court officer in the 2000's and dsny in the 1,000's, still waiting on bridge and tunnel officer results which I'm sure I did well. I can't decide which department I would go for, dsny salary is always pulling me, but holding up the wall in a court house with bank hours don't seem too bad either, bridge and tunnel is alright too.

Congrats to all the guys going through the pre-orientation, thank you to the guys OTJ coming on here, everyone appreciates the useful and accurate info!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:39 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Out of curiousity, what's making you choose dsny over doc, especially with a top pay of 95k? I have a friend that's going for the 6/29 class, he's not even thinking about dsny anymore. What factors did you consider?

I'm on the list for court officer in the 2000's and dsny in the 1,000's, still waiting on bridge and tunnel officer results which I'm sure I did well. I can't decide which department I would go for, dsny salary is always pulling me, but holding up the wall in a court house with bank hours don't seem too bad either, bridge and tunnel is alright too.

Congrats to all the guys going through the pre-orientation, thank you to the guys OTJ coming on here, everyone appreciates the useful and accurate info!
I may be a little biased here cause I'm on DSNY, but doc is an awful job... Bridge and tunnel makes all their money in OT, one day it will dry up, and court officer is clutch if your lazy, but one of my hockey teammates is a court officer and hates it, says it's the most boring thing ever and the days drag ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City