Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 AM

128 posts, read 202,477 times

Advertisements

You need CDL Class B (Class A is tractor trailer I believe) with air brake, tanker and passenger endorsement if you're taking lessons and road test in a school bus. I'm pretty sure you don't need the combination vehicle one. I didn't do the DMV medical and I'm pretty sure I checked off EA. Like others have been saying here, get it done and out of the way early. I passed my road test yesterday, just waiting for medical results now. Maybe I can get into the last class this year. What's your list number range?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,418 times
I'm in the 1900's, so hopefully next year they call me.

I looked at the exam notice for when this test came out, this is how the CDL requirements are listed...

The requirement for a CDL Class A License is:

- no"L, L1, L2" Air Brake restrictions

The requirement for a CDL Class B License is:

- no "L or L2" Air brake restrictions

No clue what either means...

I'm planning to take lessons and road test on a school bus, I heard you only need passenger endorsement if you plan on driving a manual, the DSNY trucks are Auto....

I'm confused...

When I first went to the driving school months ago, I showed the guy the exam notice CDL requirements, basically letting him know I need what that paper says, and he told me to go study, Tanker, Air Brakes, Combination and General knowledge.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:35 AM

Read my last post. That's what you need. If you're learning on a school bus and taking your road test in it, you'll need the passenger endorsement.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 8,547 times
If you take combination you will have an A permit and need to take the test in a tractor trailer, if you take the test in a bus you will need passenger. If you take the test with dsny you need general, air brakes and tanker.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:49 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischetti11358 View Post
Read my last post. That's what you need. If you're learning on a school bus and taking your road test in it, you'll need the passenger endorsement.
Understood, thank you.

Found this from the old DSNY thread, exactly what you stated.

"You need a CDL B with no airbrake restriction, N endorsement, and no K restriction. CDL A is for tractor trailor trucks. CDL B is for non trailor vehicles. ex school bus, sanitation truck, cube truck. If you get the book at dmv, the whole first chapter is dedicated to what class you need for each. It also tells you which chapters you need to study for the endorsements that you need. Study the general chapters for the general test. The n-endorsement is for tank trucks. You need to study the tank and haz-mat chapters. You need to pass the air brake test to avoid having an airbrake restriction (study the airbrake section), and you need to be over 21 to avoid the K or interstate restriction. To get the permit you need to take 1) the general test 2) The airbrake test 3) the tank test. Its like $5 per test. Once you get that, you get a permit and you are eligible for the Sanitation training. Just study the sections and take the tests. They are easy if you studied and they are multiple choice with no timelimit.

I did the whole process over the summer to get the CDL and took the roadtest on a schoolbus. I also had to get the Passenger and Schoolbus endorsement which was 2 more tests."

Schoolbus endorsement?

I'm happy I didn't get too deep into studying the combintation vehicle endorsement. I'll learn the passenger part by next Friday.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:21 PM

I think school bus endorsement is when people are in the bus. I may be wrong, but I didn't take that one, just passenger.

Make sure you study it from awhile. Some people say it's very easy and can just walk in and take it. I don't believe that. I failed the air brake test once. Also, there are some good YouTube videos about the permit test, watch them.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 PM

73 posts, read 118,141 times
Quote:
I think school bus endorsement is when people are in the bus. I may be wrong, but I didn't take that one, just passenger.

Make sure you study it from awhile. Some people say it's very easy and can just walk in and take it. I don't believe that. I failed the air brake test once. Also, there are some good YouTube videos about the permit test, watch them.
Yes, I just finished this and all you need is the passenger endorsement.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:12 PM

316 posts, read 489,744 times
Quote:

Funny thing is I didn't study just went to take the test and I passed general knowledge, and tanker on the first try. It was the air brakes part that I had to take 3 times before I passed.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:42 PM

733 posts, read 724,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBanker View Post
Funny thing is I didn't study just went to take the test and I passed general knowledge, and tanker on the first try. It was the air brakes part that I had to take 3 times before I passed.
I took air brakes like three times too lol

Old 07-15-2016, 10:15 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,654 times
Quote:
So I called HR to let them know I passed my road test. They asked me to fax them the receipt. Is this what everyone has been doing?
How else would they have your updated licence for proof lol l. Yes you need to fax it unite l unless you take the dsny course in which case we scan and send them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City